Friday, January 24, 2014

So I made this little summer dress..

 ..using some fabric I picked up at the quilting shop and a 70's pattern from my stash.


The pattern is Butterick 4801. It would have to be one of the comfiest dresses I've ever made. Which surprised me because it's the first dress I've ever worn with a belt. It's so light and breezy though..I loved wearing it to the beach on our recent escape...
I was feeling a bit daunted as the dress had a lot of construction detail which I normally try to avoid - such as buttons up the front, a back yolk, a buckle belt and a collar! But I really, really wanted this dress as I had been staring at it all winter whenever I was in my craft room studying, which was quite a lot.

I chose a warm, blustery day a few weeks ago and stayed inside pottering quietly away. The best kind of creative meditation..
It was my first attempt at making a belt. The buckle was found at a local goodwill shop some time back for all of 20 cents, if I remember correctly. If you have never made a buckle belt for fear of it being complicated - I can only say give it a go! It was really very simple and such fun to make. My 10 year old daughter chose the buttons because i just couldn't decide! I love her choice..she has a good eye, that one.

The collar was challenging but not as bad as I had feared. Taking it slow and steady and walking away when the kettle beckoned helped a lot.


Pre-beach departure, by a matter of minutes..
The ocean awaits!
Thanks to my 13 year old daughter for photographing me wearing the dress. I think she did a really cool job!!

25 comments:

  1. I'm very envious. You did a great job and your choice of fabric and buttons are perfect. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful! and such a lot of buttons! I can never quite get a perfect match-up and always have at least one gap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely dress and nice gentle colours. Great holiday snaps recently too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to believe that I used to make dresses like that. I haven't done so for years. It turned out really well for you. It is so nice seeing young girls who are competent at sewing these days as so many aren't being taught the skills anymore. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is amazing! I am very impressed. I would love to make a dress like that, but I am a rather basic seamstress and I am too intimidated to try!

    It looks great on you, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Christine. I love the cotton design and the pretty colours.
    I've not been brave enough to try doing button holes or fancy colours yet.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent job in every way! I made a very similar cotton dress many years ago (hard to believe), and it was my favorite dress for YEARS! I hope your beautiful dress brings you equal pleasure for a very long time :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a lovely dress. Well done - I feel quite inspired to make one myself now (except it's currently mid-winter in the UK)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's finished off beautifully, you've done a great job. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    www.oursimpleandmeaningfullife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW, I'd give anything to be able to sew like that, that's great, so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I completely love it! I am a bit in awe of the collar/button hole/belt competence but might just be inspired...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have done a fabulous job on your dress! It looks like a really good fit on you too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your dress is divine and suits you so much! I really like that pattern. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. stunning, I love that style, it is super comfy, you are so super clever!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well! I think the picture of you in the dress looks better than on the pattern! That's unusual in my experience. I find I fall in love with a pattern and when I make it, it looks nothing like the picture in my head! Well done, and yes, well done to your daughter. She did well with the buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so clever! It looks amazing, love the fabric and perfect buttons, as you say. Glad it is so comfy it looks like a great fit for you. Well done! Hope it lasts for many happy years.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I really love it!! And you look just beautiful.
    -Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  18. When I was a teenager this was the type of dress that the girls used to wear, so seeing your lovely creation brings back memories of my youth and my girlfriends of those times. Much nicer than the jeans and T shirt uniform of today.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  19. Replies
    1. Translate: Is not it beautiful! Wonderful!

      Delete
  20. I love that style, it is super comfy, you are so super clever!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...