mishmash

It's so cold! SO cold!!

I'm sitting  exactly one metre from the fire (seeing as the dog has already comfortably taken the first 100cm for his own prime napping space) and it's still cold! It's times like these that I abhor cathedral ceilings with little room for insulation and large, large single glazed windows that allow the heat to escape in an instant while at the same time generously allowing the drafts in. Brrr!

Whine over. I'll focus on more pleasant things now, I really will.

Eggs. We seem to have a great abundance of eggs at the moment..that's good news, right?
A favourite way of mine to use up eggs is in a custard - whisk 3 egg yolks with 2 tablespoons of sugar until light and frothy and then add 1 1/2 cups scalded milk and whisk well. Return to a low heat in a clean saucepan and stir gently until thickened. Remove from heat and add a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Who says custard needs to be poured on something? It's a perfectly acceptable dessert in it's own right, wouldn't you agree? Thankyou muchly, hens.

Seedy treats from a good friend are the best!  That is, if they make it to the salad without being munched up along the way..
What I'm tasting are chopped almonds mixed with pumpkin, sunflower, sesame and linseed seeds all toasted (or roasted?!) and then tossed with a dash of soy? They are extremely good and extremely moorish. Yum!

Comfort food is common here at the moment. It is winter, after all! Chicken and leek casserole with dumplings is a good candidate to keep the family sated. 
I'm sure you know the drill, brown chicken in pan (or use up any leftovers from the roast), saute chopped leek, celery, carrot and garlic over gentle heat. Add a couple of tablespoons of flour with a knob of butter and stir through. A goodly amount of white wine and enough stock to cover. Simmer for around 30-40 mins, adding a chopped potato or two if you wish. Before serving, mix up a quick savoury scone dough adding herbs and cheese if it suits you. Cut them out and place on top of  leeky chicken mixture. Bake uncovered at 200c for around fifteen minutes. Using homemade chicken stock makes a person feel all the more wholesome. ;)

 A quick newborn dress was made for my youngest's teacher who was expecting their first baby. Exciting! 
It was good to dive into the stash and find what was needed there. Pattern is this one, which happens to be free on ravelry. It was knitted in the round, following the directions for stripes in one of the project notes linked to the main page.

With unexpected sightings of late winter bulbs, you would almost think spring was on it's way for us..

But no! Not until the frosty blast of snowy winds visit us first. 
   What a buzz to be tourists in our own backyard and visit the nearby mountain for a frolic in the snow.


And yes, even a snowball fight or two,

... much to these girls' delight!


Comments

  1. Thanks for giving those recipes with the pictures, I'm always on the look out for recipes "from scratch" and for some unknown reason, I've never made a chicken and leek casserole before, I think I will this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, custard! Definitely a dessert in its own right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, homemade custard - perfect for a wintery dessert! Despite the freezing weather all our chooks have started laying again too - I think the sunshine & mind weather in the last couple of weeks has tricked them!
    And those savoury seeds sound like a great idea to have on hand. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, it's cold here too. We've been making and eating pumpkin soup, home grown peach crumble and a bacon and bean thingy. It's cold enough to snow, it's snowing big time in the Snowy Mountains just up the road, but thankfully not here, yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris I make my custard in the same way, baking it in ramekins (in a water bath) topped with nutmeg for an on-it's-on dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your recipes Christine, neither of which I've tried before. Such a chilly weekend, I wanted it to snow on our doorstep, it felt cold enough. Such a cute little dress. Love the colours

    ReplyDelete
  7. That certainly looks very cold indeed. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum that casserole looks delicious! Custard, along with crepes are two things I'm notoriously bad at making!
    Keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum the casserole looks delish! I love reading blogs from those of you in the southern hemisphere, it keeps things in perspective! I was complaining about the heat today and you reminded me it will get cold again and I should enjoy the heat while I can! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, haven't made custard for years. Was probably one of the first things I was given to look after in the kitchen. Poured over a sliced banana, a pinch of nutmeg and I'm back in Preston sitting at the table after school.

    ReplyDelete
  11. just made a version of your chicken casserole and made tuna casserole for Stephen, big hit, even with the little ones. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're in the throes of a heat wave here - so I really appreciate your snowy photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is noting better than sitting in front of a warm fire. Our house is draughty but once it gets warm it is great. Plenty of eggs here too so custard will be on the cards this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cannot believe you have snow when we are in the 90's and humid with thunderstorms. We had a very loud thunderstorm 2:30 this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah it's so cold I had to do the old warm water over the windscreen trick the other morning to melt away the sheet of ice. I miss having a cosy fire - such a comforting and natural form of heat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Christine, I totally agree about custard being eaten on its own. Love it! I also love the jonquils, and the snow! Keep warm!:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a treat for you to have snow! I think we've exchanged weather patterns for a bit. Last week it was hooter than I remember it ever getting in Canada - it was in the 40's (celcius) with 95% humidity. Unpleasant.. I was suddenly wishing I hadn't complained about all the snow we had last winter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Eggs! So jealous! Despite all the pampering, my girls are still holding out on me.... Soon I keep saying, and then I'll be loving some custard too :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely to hear all about your mish mash of life.

    Brrr! You have been having it cold if there is snow! We had a bit of a cold spell but since then it has been nice sunny days and looking a lot like spring.

    We have been getting a dozen a day from our chookies. Very happy indeed. Must make some of your custard :) Love those daffodils!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That chicken and leek casserole looks absolutely delicious, serious comfort food. I hope everything is alright in your world.... no July post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cath, I hope to be around for the August post. ;)

      Delete
  21. A great post, loved the snow pics. I can't believe I missed one of your posts.... it must have come when we were holidays. Mmmm, chicken and leek casserole going well.
    I have a question for you, Christine....do you ever do 'dressed up beanies' ? I went to a Paul Kelly concert last week and David was a bit embarrassed that I was wearing a beanie with cow on it . Could you do a beanie that I could go out in ....maybe black and chic looking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim, you know I would love to make you a beanie although I don't think I can at the moment! Too much study going on here for much knitting to be happening. (So pleased to hear you wore the cow one to the Paul Kelly concert, though! :))

      Delete
  22. Love your post...also have plenty of eggs...happily giving them out to friends and family...love the cute woollen dress too...thankfully spring is on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Christine, I've never made custard, but that sounds so easy! You've given me the courage to try it :)

    Love your chicken casserole... I can almost smell it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ohhh I want to make custard and eat it all by itself though I have taken to making apple crumble lately and these would marry nicely! I hope to try my hand at your chicken dish too! Yum. Its quite spring like here right now, though I don't really think winter is done with us yet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts