Thursday, June 13, 2013

'tis the weather for it..

 Sheesh! Hasn't it gotten cold? I find it interesting to observe how the seasons guide our activities.. be it warm or cold, there always seems to be something to do that fits in perfectly with the current weather conditions.

Take my good gardening friend, for example. She knows that the very best way to enjoy a cold, drizzly day is to toast some chestnuts over a small campfire. It's truly a tonic to warm the spirit! And they are sooo delicious, too. The bonus being that they are a very effective handwarmer!

Me? I like to rug up and take a brisk walk on a frosty morning. There is a feeling of promise for the day to come in a fresh, early morning icy walk. As long as my head, hands and toes are especially warm, I'm good to go. Our little pooch never seems to complain, either.

The youngest on the other hand ponders over where to hang her new purchase with her own saved money; an angel called 'Fyre' bought recently from the Castlemaine Artists' market. We mistakenly called it a fairy and she very soon corrected us that in her eyes it was an Angel! Tsk, tsk, how silly were we!
Angel made by etsy maker: Felt and Grain
 With constant wet weather, I finally had a chance to make that top that's been calling out for months. Some rayon op-shopped fabric was put to use and New Look 6871 was lengthened to create a tunic top that covers my behind. I always feel more comfortable when my tops are longer! Are you the same?


Our first ever art purchase!
Blue Wrens by Lyn Cooke
What is it about having a piece of original art in the home that feels one's heart with joy? Just walking past and stopping to take it in, the fine detail, what the artist was thinking whilst they were working on it and the colours chosen humbles me in a way I've never felt before.. 



Hot breakfasts are back!

This week I was extremely lucky and gifted two large containers of farm fresh jersey milk from a good friend which I enjoyed experimenting with in the form of homemade mozzarella. Yummm! I have never seen milk this thick and creamy before..even from my teenage years on a dairy farm when my parents milked friesians.
I do believe I am in love with the milk from a jersey cow!

The whey leftover was also extremely creamy and I had a go at making ricotta--the real kind, but perhaps I missed something because it didn't curd the way (whey?) I thought it would although it still made an unbelievably rich, creamy pumpkin soup! With plenty more to use up, too. Bread is suddenly bleeping on my  radar.
Cheesy experiments in a warm kitchen are a sure winner to keep the coldness away..

 And do you know what else? Someone has even thought that a lone tree in our area was feeling the cold and thoughtfully wrapped it up for the season..

Don't you just love a random yarn bomb sighting?!

Enjoy the weather out there people, be it warm or cold! :)

27 comments:

  1. Not entirely certain where you are, but we are just beginning to get a glimpse of spring & next Friday??? is the first day of summer. We had about 1 week of nice weather & it's supposed to rain again tomorrow. I am very effected by the weather though. In fall, I find myself 'nesting' and making sure everything is cozy, etc.
    Smiles,
    JoeyLea
    http://www.thelocustblossom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JoeyLea, we are outside of Melbourne, Australia. Enjoy that warm weather, lucky one! :)

      Delete
  2. A very warming post, Christine...my favourite pic - random yarn bomb sighting. So pleased to see your art work , it looks like a water colour,but it is just so detailed...absolutely beautiful. You will find that every time you look at a piece of art like this you will see something new in it for years to come and always enjoy it.I have been looking at mozzerella recipes...that is my challenge this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're absolutely right, Kim, it is a watercolour. Very detailed.

    The cheese was made using a 30 minute mozzarella recipe and junket in place of rennet (1 tablet per 3 litres). It was really good - we enjoyed it in calzones that night and toasted sandwiches for lunch.

    I saw you were making feta..I would love to give that a go sometime but am not sure if it would be good to try with cows milk...any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's my favourite tunic pattern also. I have made so many tops and changed it many times to get the look I like, and yes I like mine a little longer also. And those blue wrens.. so beautiful . I once had a little sculpture that looked very much like your painting but my ex husband took it when he left. But we do have a few flitting around our garden to remind me. No frosts here yet but still quite cold in the mornings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a nice, simple pattern, isn't it Kate! I can see a little experimenting with the sleeves happening in the future. :)

      Delete
  5. Loved all your photos and your top looked great.........would love to make that cheese as well. Your daughters angel is particularly beautiful as well. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia
    www.oursimpleandmeaningfullife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy, thanks for stopping by. My daughter really loves that angel..it's hanging up in her bedroom now. :)

      Delete
  6. Snap! I was making mozzarella yesterday too, with creamy raw milk. I'm avoiding icy cold walks for knitting by the fire instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, what a coincedence, Kirsty! Love a good knitting session by the fire. ;)

      Delete
  7. Wow, you do keep busy! Love your new tunic!
    And I'm so inspired by your cheesemaking... it's something I've always wanted to try but haven't had the confidence to do on my own. Maybe I need to ask around and see if a few people might like to be part of an experimental cheese-making circle! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good plan, Amber. There are loads of books and articles online but in my opinion, nothing beats a session with someone who knows what they're doing. Some friends and I were lucky to have a cheesemaking workshop with Gavin (greening of gavin) a couple of years ago - so much fun! x

      Delete
  8. Love your new tunic, wish I could sew!
    I've never tried making cheese (or soap) I find the idea of both a bit daunting! one of these day I will have to have a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, I am sure you would be a natural at the cheese and soap making! The hardest part is waiting for it to be ready!! :)

      Delete
  9. Mozarella! looks amazing. Love the new outfit too. Beautiful blue wrens, they're such a delight to see in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post! What a beautiful piece of art you've purchased! And I have to say - LOVE the angel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Celia. Loving the whole art in the home thing. x

      Delete
  11. Chestnuts! what a fantastic idea. we always try to do something special for special occasions (ie make beer on fathers day)rather than do something frivolous. We are trying to build traditions and memories. I now know what mine will be for my birthday next week - roasting chestnuts on the open fire. Annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now, a very happy birthday to you this week, Annie!! xx

      Delete
  12. I've never had roasted chestnuts but I've often passed by the chestnut vendors with their roasters going on the streets of New York City. The scent is heavenly and I definitely associate that now with Fall & Winter in New York. I wonderful memory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, that does sound like a beautiful memory, Bev. Thanks so much for sharing. (I love NY in the fall too! I hope to see it in winter at some point).

      Delete
  13. For the ricotta use vinegar to make it curd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura..I did use vinegar but maybe not enough. I would love to try again sometime. :)

      Delete
  14. Love the colour and style of the tunic top you made, I always like my tops a little longer too. Your Blue Wren picture is just gorgeous, they are my favourite bird, sadly none in my garden. Very clever making your own cheese, I wouldn't know where to start. You have a very inspiring blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sharon, so nice of you to stop by and for your kind words. Have a lovely Monday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You must be quite local to us if Castlemaine isn't too far afield. :) We're Ballan.
    I too ahve been experimenting with mozzarella using Jonesy's milk. Delicious! Hot breakfasts are the go for us too and as for frosty days, we copped nearly -7 the other day. Insanely cold and even my London born and raised husband agreed. :)
    Enjoy beng cosy and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a coincedence - we used to live in Ballan! We are now in the Macedon Ranges. It's been absolutely icy, hasn't it! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...