A Week in my Kitchen...

The week in my kitchen starts on a Sunday, with hubby's weekly 'special breakfast'. He likes to cook up some eggs, bacon, tomatoes if we have any, toast..you know, the obvious candidates for a breakfast without the weekday rush factor. Seeing the eggs from our feathered girls being used up satisfies me no end..

Sour cream is made, lately by using regular thickened cream and adding cultured buttermilk to it and letting it sit for 24 hours. No heating whatsoever! Nice and simple, just the way I like it..
The finished cream is soo thick, much more so than when made using commercial sour cream as a starter. Wow, there really is some punch in this buttermilk business! (which as an aside is also getting made now in the same way as our homemade yoghurt with good results).

Sourdough is back! After retrieving my starter from the freezer which had spent the summer there, it has been revived with the assistance of some dried fruit and rye flour. Bubbling and activated, the starter has provided us with a handful of loaves so far. 
Yum! It's so nice to have sourdough back in our kitchen again. 

I love having a daughter who's specialty is pizza! Our 13 year old cooks for the family one night a week and while some weeks the meals are very...basic, I get quite excited when she decides to make pizza because she really does make a damn fine one! Especially by adding ingredients for others that her tastebuds won't go near..ever!!

A feel good purchase in the form of a locally raised, organic lamb for the freezer took place. The lamb was bought through these lovely people and is absolutely delicious!

For weeknight dinners in a flash, we love a stir fry. It's so nice to bring in broccoli and pak choy from the garden and use up some of our homegrown garlic in the wok! A quick toss with some oyster sauce and a scattering of cashews and the meal is done. Too easy. It's the perfect fast slow food!

The aforementioned pizza making teen loves to bake within the sweet sector. She recently made a chocolate loaf cake and around two dozen chocolate cupcakes following a recipe from this book which called for using up homemade buttermilk. This recipe is definitely a keeper - the cakes came out so moist and fluffy.

Finally in my kitchen this week...
Sprouts are back! Hooray for sprouts!! 

Do you grow them? Eat them? Maybe even dream about them? While the garden is pretty quiet over winter, having sprouts on the kitchen bench fulfills my harvesting needs/wants/desires. Fresh, healthy, live food that is so good for you! Sprouts are such fun to grow and such fun to eat!!
(Picture - left: alfalfa, right: mung beans)

Linking up with the lovely Celia at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial. Pop on over to see what's been happening in other peoples kitchens. :)



Comments

  1. That looks like a pretty healthy (healthful?) week in your kitchen. Is this typical?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I've just popped round to your place, sat down on a kitchen chair and had a lovely long chat over a cup of tea with you lovely lady :-)

    I haven't sprouted anything for a couple of weeks, time to get my sprout back on I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we lived closer you WOULD be around chatting over for a cup of tea, Brydie. ;)

      Delete
  3. My goodness, that all looks so delicious. Buttermilk is unheard of here in France, and I would love to try making some but I have no idea where to get the cultures. For sour cream I just add lemon and let it sit.
    I grow alfalfa and mungo sprouts, which we share with the chickens! They are finally laying - on saturday morning we found an egg and then again this morning. I wonder does it have anything to do with the summer solstice!
    That pizza looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, indeed all looks lovely...
      Emma, I think" lait ribot" is the french equivalent of buttermilk - I know it used to be used in Bretagne - but have never tried it when I was there:)

      Delete
  4. Wow you've had a busy week! So much goodness going on in your home and how wonderful that your daughter cooks and bakes too! I've just staretd some wheatgrass seeds in my kitchen and must get some sprouts going too.
    Have a lovely week.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried growing wheatgrass, Linda. Sounds exciting!

      Delete
  5. Looks lovely! How do make your cultured butter milk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the same as the yoghurt, Kim, in the easiyo with a little leftover buttermilk for a starter. Overnight and she's done. ;)

      Delete
  6. I bet the lamb is good! We haven't had lamb for ages! Did you buy a whole one?

    Love that the teen cooks! Holidays are coming. Imagine the cooking she can get done then. And, yes, I'd like to know more about the buttermilk too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a whole lamb, Linda..soo good! Will try and do a buttermilk post soonish. :)

      Delete
  7. My husband makes a great pizza. He makes it with olive oil, garlic, onion, mushrooms and avocado when it's cooled. So good. Laura, USA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you guys have been busy. regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tend not to think to use sprouts a lot in winter Chris, I'd love to know what you use them in because I really should include them more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, just about anything, Rose. Alfalfa is nice with yoghurt, nuts and cold meat for lunch, or on sandwiches. The mung beans are great in a stir fry!

      Delete
  10. Isn't that funny! My almost 13 year-old daughter specializes in the same cooking departments! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very productive kitchen by the looks of it. Such beautiful wholesome food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Jane! Thanks for stopping by.

      I imagine your kitchen is equally wholesome, Kate. :)

      Delete
  12. Your kitchen is always such a serene place, Christine! Thanks for sharing it with us! I wish my kids made pizza, but that's always been my job! Gorgeous sourdough and beautiful eggs - our girls are off the lay now, and I so miss having our own eggs! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a few little bantams which have just started laying, Celia so when the others are a little behind they pick up the slack! Love pizza, it's such a crowd pleaser, isn't it?

      Delete
  13. Gorgeous stirfry and amazing looking sourdough. My mouth is watering! So lucky for you & your daughter that you can share this lovely time together in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bev for your thoughtful words. :)

      Delete
  14. Lovely pictures and yummy food!! Love the pizza and muffins!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou ale, the muffins were a real hit! More on the agenda soon.. ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts