Saturday, May 18, 2013

Old Fashioned Rhubarb Cake

At spinning group a couple of weeks ago someone had brought in a beautiful homemade rhubarb cake. What I loved most about the cake (besides eating it!) was the way the baker had tucked the recipe next to the cake for anyone who fancied it and wished to make it at home. How kind.

Yes, I fancied it and wished to make it at home!

Dividing our rhubarb recently provided me with plenty of stalks to play with.

Here is the recipe as I made it..

Old Fashioned Rhubarb Cake
125g butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp bicarb soda (baking soda)
1 cup buttermilk (I used 1/4 cup natural yoghurt made up to 1 cup with regular milk)
3 cups finely chopped rhubarb

Topping
1/2 cup soft brown sugar
1-2 tbs butter

In a medium mixer bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well. Sift over the flour and bicarb in 2-3 batches, alternating with the milk, mixing gently. A couple of tablespoons of milk may be needed if the mixture is a little on the dry side. Stir through the chopped rhubarb and place into a greased springform tin.

To make the topping, melt the butter and add the sugar. Stir well and then crumble it over the top of the cake mixture. Bake for around 40 mins in a moderate oven, until lightly golden and a skewer comes out clean. Best eaten warm with cream!

...and here is the recipe, as it appeared next to the cake..


Enjoy :)

14 comments:

  1. Oooooh, this looks wonderful! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious. I will be trying this as soon as our rhubarb is a little bigger. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish my rhubarb would start to have babies! I've just eaten most of mine in apple and rhubarb crumble.
    This recipe would be so easy to convert to the thermomix. I'll save it and give it a go when I've got more rhubarb. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The texture of this cake looks lovely.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely way to share the recipe with you, and thanks for passing it on down the line! It looks delicious, I'll give it a go once my rhubarb recovers from the last time I harvested it (also for crumble!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have any rhubarb, but I was thinking I could make it with tart apples.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This seems to simple, but elegant. What a wonderful share from your friend, and now on to all of us. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely hand-writing the baker has! I remember being taught to write like that at school but sadly my hand-writing of today no longer holds any trace of that beautiful cursive flow.

    The rhubarb cake has a lovely rustic charm to it - that's my kind of cake to make. Especially when I'm not feeling particularly meticulous and just want to bake something simple and wholesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing. For the first time ever, I have enough rhubarb to actually use in several recipes. This looks perfect for the next rhubarb craving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely thoughtful gesture that was!
    I haven't had rhubarb in... forever. No one else likes it as much as me round these parts so I don't often play with it. Hmmm, maybe it's time I changed that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just made this and it was positively delicious. Fyi - I used whole wheat flour and it still tasted like cake. Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made this last week and can't stop thinking about, it was so delicious & moist & just perfect. My rhubarb plant is not producing well so I only had a scant cup of rhubarb. I added some of last years raspberries and blueberries from the freezer (to equal 3 cups) it was tasty. I used coconut oil instead of butter (because my butter was frozen at the moment of cake making!).

    I'm glad to read about Natalie using WW flour, I'll try that too :)

    thank you for posting this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks good! I've never had rhubarb before but I might just have to try this recipe as soon as it shows up in our farmer's market!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I remember collecting wild rhubarb when I was a kid. My mom would bake pies and cobblers with it. This sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...