Sunday, April 28, 2013

Weekend business..

The business of the weekend goes a little something like this:

Hubby works at home instead of his usual commute. He likes to take a break by making a barbecue for lunch. Nice and simple, just some good quality sausages and bread. A little homemade relish, you know, the typical barbecue kind of business..
T(w)een girls try their hand at 'smores'. The youngest is always content to keep a stick burning so she can make 'smoke signals'..

Flower chains are highly important weekend business. This is the eldest's thing.

 After adorning the (amazingly co-operative!) pooch, she turns her craft to her own locks..
Isn't it a funny thing to wish for a garden full of flowers so one can make daisy chains?

Although I suppose having a mother who wishes for a garden full of flowers so that she can dye wool must seem equally funny to her at times too..

This weekend was the time to attend to the business of spinning wheel maintenance. A good clean and polish all over and a thorough oiling in all of the moving parts has seen this wheel fit for a winter season's use..
Along with the business of reading up on different spinning techniques. I never knew I had a technique, but apparently I do and it is referred to as a 'short forward draft'. Recently however, I have been playing with what I discovered was termed a 'medium backward draft' with some varying degree of success. I can see with a little practice this being a great timesaver!

Pulling out rhubarb and gifting some to a friend..

..who was kind enough to share some of her family's homegrown apples with me last week is all part of weekend business here..

What to make, what to make? I think we both are thinking of apple and rhubarb crumbles for our dinner tables. Good, hearty comfort food made with fresh, local ingredients. I can think of nothing better for the business of weekend baking. What's your favourite way to cook with rhubarb?

Pausing a game of practice netball to attend to the very important task of picture taking is nothing unexpected here. Thankfully it only takes a moment and the game is quickly resumed. First to shouts of happiness, then the usual sisterly bickerings and then, with a little intervening, back to team play once again. This age is certainly proving to be a roller coaster ride, both for those going through it and those on the sidelines! *sigh*


Fires are happening and it's a nice feeling to have a good amount of homegrown timber to use. This wood has been cut and split by hubby after we had several large trees fall down last year. We have four rows of firewood just like the one above. Yes, a good fire is very important weekend business here! Maybe the most important of all!

I hope the weekend was good to you out there!  

14 comments:

  1. I totally love the daisy chain around the dog...soooo cute. Love the look of all that firewood in a pile and can smell the warm fires you have planned. Love the outdoor BBQ and I can relate to sibling rivalry although I don't have to content with the tweens...just the under 10's. Have a great week. I have just posted some pics on our home made pasta....if you have any tips would love to hear them. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia www.oursimpleandmeaningfullife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing the dog stayed still long enough for her to attach the daisy chain, Kathy :) Enjoy the week.

      Delete
  2. It's nice for the girls to grow up in a magical home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, you are just too sweet! Thankyou :)

      Delete
  3. I bet there are many men looking at that pile of wood and multiplying by 4 that are green with envy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, maybe Linda, although I can make a bet they wouldn't be envious of his aching back, neck, muscles, hands etc.. lol!

      Delete
  4. Lovely weekend Chris! The girls are growing up fast, but not as fast as your firewood stack - can't believe you have four of those piles! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really need those stacks, Celia - it gets mighty chilly here over winter, brrr! :)

      Delete
  5. My favorite way to use rhubarb is rhubarb pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must try a plain rhubarb pie sometime...we always seem to mix it with other fruit - apples, strawberries etc. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh - you will burn up all that wood to keep warm? A strange concept to one who lives in the tropics :) I lvoe the daisies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it doesn't shock you too much when I tell you that our fire uses a wheelbarrow a day in the coldest months, africanaussie! eek!

      Delete
  7. Ohh I remember making daisy chains, and not just with daisies! I always loved a challenge and would find the smallest little flowers to try and make the most miniature chains!! Wow, that's a LOT of firewood - FOUR of those? You've got a few winters' worth there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lisa, I can just imagine you finding the smallest flowers and then actually succeeding in making them into those chains!! Clever one. Lotsa wood...from lotsa cutting. It makes me appreciate it a whole lot more seeing how much effort goes into cutting, splitting and stacking it. Not something I could manage in a million years!

      Delete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...