The Dirndl Skirt

Over the holidays, during a clear out hubby and the teen happened to come across a bag of fabric belonging to me. I had remembered this bag but could not for the life of me recall where I had put it! Turns out it was in a box at the back of the garage (still unpacked from when we had moved here several years ago!). I was so pleased to once again see this collection of fabrics, mainly around one metre lengths, bought with the intention of making some Really. Useful. Stuff!

And now, finally, at long last, that cheesecloth that I just knew I had! I wasn't going crazy after all, now I have enough to cover jars of homemade ferments for several years, yikes!

Anyhow, it was a real treat to come across some cotton floral print alongside a matching quilters muslin. I am really trying to restrict myself when it comes to buying any more fabric as the craft room is positively bulging at the seams (pun apology) with little room for breathing. Using some of this fabric up would be good for my wardrobe, good for the craft room  and good for my soul.

It was fun to ponder over the options, eventually settling on  a dirndl skirt, something which I had always wanted to make but had never gotten around to!


The dirndle skirt would have to be one of the easiest skirts to sew, requiring no pattern, simply two rectangles of fabric sewn together and gathered to form the skirt. A waistband holds the gathers in place and a zip in the side seam completes the functionality side of things.


I used one and a half times my hip measurement to obtain the required width of fabric for the skirt. 


The skirt was made a little longer by adding a doubled over band of muslin on the lower edge, eliminating the need for a hem.


A length of ricrac was added around the top to hide my uneven sewing enhance it.

What fun it is to wear a skirt that puffs out a little and is totally comfy (and hides the post festive season hips). I think I want to make another!

*Mental note: These skirts have a mind of their own in heavy winds. One good gust and the entire street is in on what colour underwear you decided to wear that day! Eek!
This won't stop me from wearing them though, I'll just make sure I have one hand free at all times to tame the mischievous beast. ;)

Comments

  1. I love the fabric you've used. I guess you'll have to wait for a calm day to wear it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful skirt! The fabric is just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh so sweet, can't wait to see you wear it

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful skirt, I love the fabric - so clever x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Your skirt looks great. And I really love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous! Might have to try making one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - that is a lovely skirt! Super choice of fabrics! Doesn't it feel great to make something wonderful from materials you've been squirreling away for a "someday" project? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love it. The simplicity of the pattern and the fabric you have chosen. Just great. And the style is one of my favourites too and you have just explained beautifully how to make one. Thanks ever so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also love it. Very original - you wont see another when you are out. Make sure your undies are up to the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the fabric! I think I should make some for the girls and me. And maybe I'll match the fabrics to our knickers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thats beautiful! I'd love one but unfortunately even if you make it sound so easy I'm sure it is way beyond my sewing abilities. But I'm tempted to try all the same... Do you have any pictures of the work in progress? please!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, I love that fabric Christine, and it looks gorgeous with the plain muslin - I see why you stashed it! Reminds me to organise getting my sewing machine serviced, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. gorgeous Christine, you clever girl.
    Those mind of their own skirts are tricky aren't they. I had a day recently that had both hands well and truly taken...whooshka! went the wind... and away with any of my dignity. What I could do but laugh!? (but not in a Marilyn Monroe kind of way ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts