Thursday, February 28, 2013

Nourishing Egg Yolk Hair Conditioning Treatment

With the end of summer here, my hair at the moment is feeling decidedly dry and in need of some extra TLC. Are you in the same situation? The blasting hot summer sun, drying winds and extra time spent in the water over the holidays really seems to have taken it's toll.

I feel really pleased that I have been shampoo/conditioner free for what seems like the longest time now, however, the effects of a long, dry summer are evident on my (shh, greying) locks. What to do? The homemade soap and apple cider vinegar/herbal rinses were doing a great job of keeping my hair clean and manageable. But how to condition..deep condition at home without resorting to over packaged, chemically laden products that one finds so readily available in that aisle in the shops.

In the past I have tried various ingredients in the hope of deep conditioning my hair; avocado and banana (yes, you read right, banana!),  yoghurt, mayonnaise,  beer..yes I think I even tried beer once or twice(!) and egg. They all worked...fine but with some drawbacks.
Avocado and banana would be mushy and so hard to rinse out! Yoghurt had a strange smell once my hair had dried and beer...well that is just wasting valuable thirst quenching liquid down the drain in my opinion!

So egg was my preferred ingredient, but not without it's own drawbacks. You see, egg tends to scramble when placed under a hot shower..it's the white that is the culprit, I'm sure. However, I was not disheartened. After seeing the glorious results of a homemade egg conditioning treatment on my hair (and rinsing out the icky scrambled bits) I decided to have a go at trying just the yolk. And....it worked! Brilliantly! Without any icky bits to rinse out, just a totally natural, nourishing treatment for my needy locks. I have been using this conditioning treatment on and off for the past 18 months or so and am completely happy with it! 


Nourishing Egg Yolk Hair Conditioning Treatment

Makes enough for one treatment on medium length hair. If using on long or thick hair, double the ingredients. 

Ingredients:
1 egg  (free range is best)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp honey
1-2 drops essential oil (lavender is nice)
a little warm water (1 Tbs)

Separate the egg and place the yolk into a small cup or mug. Add the apple cider vinegar, honey and essential oil. Mix well. Add the water - just enough to make a thinnish pouring consistency. The total volume of egg conditioner will be under a quarter of a cup. 

Pour through clean, wet hair, massaging well to ensure conditioner is evenly distributed. It won't be 'gloopy' like the commercial variety, so it will need to be worked in. Allow it to soak in and do it's magic for a couple of minutes before rinsing out (and yes, hot water is totally fine ;) ).


I keep my hair clean with homemade soap, (switching to a bicarb rinse when we are running low) and find this conditioning treatment works well in the shower after hair has been washed.

I would love to hear if you give it a go! 

9 comments:

  1. I like the sound of this Christine, We always threw an egg or two to the dogs when ever we had extra as they always say it gives them a shiny coat! Obviously there is something in that yolk! Oh the marvelous egg!
    Still living simply vicariously through you...
    karen xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting.

    I had a friend who used coconut oil on her hair. It was gorgeous. I never tried it because I am sensitive to coconuts. But, eggs and honey, I can do. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good one to try in the shower! I'll keep this in mind for those occasional extra eggs. Last week I tried coconut oil on my hair for the first time. Not sure how much it helped my winter-tired hair, but it did seem to make it feel more like hair and less like straw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will try this one , just have to get my chickens happier about the constant rain and laying more ! Another lovely doable idea as usual, Christine, thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried it out and it worked beautifully - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! Thanks for the feedback!! :)

      Delete
  6. This reminds me of when I was a teenager. I remember doing an egg mask in my hair back then. I think once I even used mayonnaise at the advice of a magazine. I use a handmade shampoo bar on my hair, or else plain bicarb as you do, which is surprisingly good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what about naturally curly hair? my grandma always said it will straighten it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...