Thursday, February 21, 2013

Garden wander - Feb '13

It's been such a long time since I've shared some pics of our garden here, I thought you might like to take a wander with me today?

Outside, along the side of the house where the six chook dome beds lie, the first bed has been sown with a late planting of climbing beans. After a little bit of rain a couple of weeks ago they have finally found their way and are taking off..

Corn, which was also sown a little late this season is sending up flowers at last. I had thought I might miss the boat with this lot but my fingers are firmly crossed...

Since our lemon tree was un-potted and planted out all that time ago, it couldn't be happier. At long last we have a good handful of lemons on the tree nearly ready for picking. I can't imagine the day when hopefully we will have an excess of them! 


This year I tried my luck at planting a row of beans along the garage wall. It faces north and receives such a lot of sunshine, they also seem pretty happy in this spot. The climbing frame was made by hammering two stakes in at each end and then attaching horizontal bamboo canes to the stakes. A zig-zag string line was then formed by wrapping around the top and bottom canes...simple yet effective, although I think next year I will try and go higher as two of the sections are a little on the low side..

{climbing bean - Blue Lake.}

I'm hard pressed to find a bean that outdoes Blue Lake for it's abundance, hardiness and crisp crunch. Definitely a keeper.

{Baby pumpkin! Buttercup, I think..}

Inside the greenhouse, our cucumbers are doing really well! This would have to be the most promising looking year we've had growing them, for which I'm putting down to the variety - a new one for us- Japanese Climbing Cucumber. 

It is my new favourite of the cucumber family! 

{Japanese Climbing Cucumber}

The majority of our tomatoes are still green, they seem to be taking soooo long to ripen this year! We have 50 plants bearing fruit but only a few starting to turn. I have been picking them at their first blush (don't you just love that term?), as the birds are being noticeably destructive this year..

{Amish Paste}

Elsewhere, our one golden nugget pumpkin plant is making up for it's lack of companions by throwing out plenty of fruit to compensate. It's not really the best pumpkin for feeding a family, more of a single serving size, but I just seem to have something about orange pumpkins..as opposed the the green varieties that seem to do so well here. It must be a fond memory of Cinderella and her magical pumpkin carriage that keeps me growing them again each year..


Back in the chook dome garden, ladders that were positioned to accommodate the scrambling pumpkin vines are holding up to the task quite well. I love the thought of having a pumpkin on each step or rung, but I don't think our harvest will be that generous! Or conveniently positioned for that matter!! There are one or two fruit nicely situated within rungs reach although I suddenly thought I may need to make a 'hammock' for any fruit that don't make it to one! Have you ever crafted a hammock for your pumpkins?

I am still a big fan of calendula in the garden (and the medicine cupboard, too!). This would have to be one of my  favourite flowering herbs ever!

And at long last, the beginnings of the summer harvests are making their way inside!

What's growing in your patch at the moment?

22 comments:

  1. I am just green with envy right now. I have eggplants galore and a load of capsicums too but not much else. I have just planted out another round of climbing beans now that it has cooled down and will be planting out more this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that basket of fresh crisp goodness!! My baskets and buckets are much the same although I didn't get to planting beans or corn this year. Add onions, zucchini and some early (bandicooted) potatoes and theres almost a meal every night!
    Not sure what you'd use to hold pumpkins up, but I intend using those mesh bags that oranges come in for my rockmelons. Perhaps you have some old shade cloth scraps? or maybe bits of bird netting that have seen better days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do have some scrappy shadecloth, Evi, thanks for the idea! :)

      Delete
  3. Fantastic photography and like my garden, everything is green, green, green. I love the ladder idea for pumpkins. I was wondering whether i could plant in my raised bed and let them trail over the sides. Would they be too heavy on the vine that goes over the edge. If not, what else could i grow that hangs. They are 90cm tall and so i have lots of side panels that are just colorbond. I also have lots of tomatoes that wont blush.

    Your basket of goodies looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't see why you couldn't plant them in the raised beds, Lynda. They don't take long to reach the ground when the fruit will be supported anyway. I was worried about the weight of the pumpkins pulling on the stalks but I see Kate has commented below that she doesn't have any problems with this situation. :)

      Delete
  4. Such a lovely harvest from your garden.Your garden looks beautiful Ours is also looking it's best at the moment due to the long awaited rain. We are also harvesting lots of beans. Purple King do well for us. Cucumbers are going well and we've just planted out our 3rd lot of zucchinis and tomatoes.We'vee harvested a number of butternut pumpkins but still waiting for the others to develop.Still getting corn, eggplant and capsicum, but thinking about our Autumn plantings now and have just put in our seed order.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo!! We planted some seeds today and my new herbs are sprouting! I'm a tad jealous of your garden too! It's looking great! I planted those same climbing beans today - hope they still grow well for us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Christine, those pictures are STUNNING! I am so eager to get in my garden.... thank you for sharing yours... it is both beautiful and abundant.

    I also grow Amish Paste and Blue Lake - great varieties!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely Chris! We're having a great bean season too - my garden update post is scheduled for early next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. we are just entering our growing season now up in the tropical north. I am planning on growing some golden nugget and I hope mine are as prolific as yours. I love your rustic trellises and everything looks so healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad to hear your endorsement for the blue lake beans... I'm planning to try them again this year... just have to keep the rabbits away from them. ;-)

    Happy Harvesting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Timely inspiration :). We skipped planting this year because of a newborn but pumpkins still managed to grow out of the compost I dumped on the vegie patch, they've sprawled all over the fence. I've never thought of making little hammocks though, my pumpkins usually find a fence to entwine themselves on the heavy pumpkins seem happy to hang from any height without damaging the vine at all. Love those ladders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A newborn? Kate, congratulations!!!!! So excited for you. xx

      Delete
  11. Wow, you have such lovely things growing in your garden--just beautiful!

    I'd love it if you came and shared this (and up to two other posts, if you'd like) at Blog Fest #20. It's live now! :)

    Farm Girl Blog Fest #20

    Hope to see you over there!
    ~Kristi@Let This Mind Be in You

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your garden...and it grows kitties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yes, of the black coated mouse and rat hunting variety! Quite a good strain that one. ;)

      Delete
  13. loved the tour - wish I could grow produce outside of a wire enclosure - just about to experiment with a garden away from tress and with a floppy fence around it - to keep out possums and wallabies anyway. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow so abundant and amazing. I have followed along here and this is a place close to my heart xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck with your new fencing, Wendy..it seems no matter where I garden, the produce is 'shared' with some sort of creature..

      What a lovely comment, Amber. :)

      Delete
  15. Christine, that veggie stash looks amazing! Bet it tasted great too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. NOw I'm thinking about crocheting a string hammock for next year - my first pumpkin has just fallen off the fence and broke from the vine :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...