A pallet garden on wheels..

Are you a mobile gardener? I couldn't resist this project which I came across while reading my new favourite gardening book. A wheely vegie bed! What's not to love? The using up of scrap pallets called to me in a way that made even the cockatoos sing..and we just happened to have two such scrappy pallets lying around the side of the house!  The planets had aligned and the tweens were content. The window of opportunity was open..wide open for a little project making session..
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Two pallets are needed for this project and if you're inspired, don't be like me and use two odd shaped ones..find two that are exactly the same dimensions as each other..rebuilding pallets, especially ones as scrappy as mine is a less than pleasant job, especially in the baking hot sun! Serves me right for ignoring the sensible advice in the book..
Once the pallet frames are adapted, the fun part can commence - the filling of the 'beds'! 
Not before some very important castors are added for ease of mobility, mind you. Oh, and a little weedmat to prevent the precious potting soil from washing through the slots...

The beds were layered with a mixture of bought potting mix, homemade compost and worm castings and then watered well before introducing the tender young seedlings. 


Baby leaf spinach, mixed lettuce, basil and pak choy were planted in each of the quarters and then watered in gently with a diluted seaweed solution. The bed was then wheeled (with great satisfaction, might I add!) into the shade, to avoid the hottest of our afternoon sun.


Easily dismantled if need be, these beds are ideal for renters or those on the move.  Plus the ability to follow the sun (or shade, in our case!) is just a whole lot of fun! Gosh I loved this project, did I mention that already?

Are you a container gardener? What are some nifty tips you've picked up along the way? 

Comments

  1. That's fantastic. What a great idea, especially for the scorching weather we've had of late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful project that you shared. Thank you. I have a few pallets laying around and when it warms up here in Spring. If I could, I would send you some cold air which is what I have here now.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea... I was planning to build some raised beds in the spring, but these might work better for us. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea for veggies! Filing this away for our warm summer days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is a nice idea! If only we had the space - the yard is pretty packed at the moment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea! I will have to show our tween and our teen and see if what they can do with this as we have lots of pallets behind the shed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, lucky you, Kim! Wish I was err..closer to your shed ;) x

      Delete
  7. this is awesome! I have made a vertical snack garden from a pallet, it's doing really well. I love this idea, will be keeping my eyes out for more pallets, thanks! :)sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A vertical snack garden from a pallet? Oh, now I'm intrigued, sascedar!! :)

      Delete
  8. I love this! It's fantastic and possibly avoids rabbit nibbling. I am off hinting pallets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! Working with pallets can be a splinter-filled event, but those things last and last...your garden on wheels will be around for ages! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very much a splinter filled event, but quite worth it, Quinn. ;)

      Delete
  10. Great idea. A garden like this would be so much easier for me to manage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You could even wheel it out to the front of your property next time the kids have a roadside stall to attract some customers! It looks great. Like your new fonts too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yes, must hunt down some 'all terrain wheels' for that one, I think, Lis. Great idea!

      Delete
  12. Ooooh! I really want to make one! (which would be ridiculous because we have no paved areas whatsoever and I couldn't move it around) I like Lisa's idea of displaying it out the front!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this idea, I've been seeing a lot of pallet ideas lately, now all I need is to find the pallets. I really want to do this, it would make things so much easier than digging into our rocky ground to expand the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sooo much easier than digging into rocky ground! Fingers crossed some pallets come your way. :)

      Delete
  14. What a great idea! I live in an apartment with limited space (and sunlight) ... this would allow me to plant a little more and then just move it around to maximize it's sunlight exposure. Nice! I'm a new follower ... found you via EcoGrrl Network. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome! It's great to have you here, Small Footprints. :)

      Delete
  15. I love them they look so rustic and organic. Stephanie Alexander uses something similar on wheels in her no dig garden so when she entertains she just moves them to the side. They may not be made of old pallets but the whole idea is the same. They look great. Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  16. love love love...will tell hubby to start collecting pallets...Our next outdoor project was going to be a new vege garden ..this is fab idea

    ReplyDelete
  17. fantastic idea... Will do one day I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've found that crossing my fingers and hoping like hell helps a lot for small container gardening.
    Love the look of these Christine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fabulous idea for a vegie patch, I love how you can move it to follow the sun during different seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Castors :-BIL Castors and Wheels manufactures and supplies castors, casters and pneumatic wheels. Great deals on casters, big savings on pneumatic wheels. Huge selection of castors for all applications

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts