Saturday, December 1, 2012

Slow Living - Month 11

I can hardly believe this is month 11!The year has literally flown by and we are feeling ourselves being swept up in the festive whirlwind that the end of year inevitably brings. Join me as I take a look back on the past month, reflecting on different areas of our lives that we are trying to slow down in.

Feel like doing the same? Just leave a link to your blog post written in this format at the bottom of this page and enjoy hopping over to see what others have been up to, hopefully gaining some new ideas and inspiration.  For a detailed description of each category, click here.  

{Nourish}

We have been enjoying the appearance of barbecue dinners once again as the weather warms up and the evenings are still light. Salads are also happening here a lot lately, with a busy schedule they are easy to prepare and totally healthy too! Water kefir came to the rescue this month after a nasty little tummy bug that left me sprawled on the bed and dehydrated. A couple of glasses of the strange brew felt like I was on the mend again, and the thought of those probiotics making their way into my insides made me feel good all over, no joke. :)



{Prepare}
errrr....surely this drought will have to end soon, right? It must, I say. It must!

{Grow}

ok now, lets see! We have pumpkins in, along with tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, zucchinis, button squash, potatoes, beetroot, radish, lettuce, capsicums and eggplants (both the lebanese variety which seem to prefer our cooler climate) and corn scheduled to go in over the next couple of days. Surely out of this we will see some hearty summer harvests? 

Harvestwise, we are consuming garlic, eggs, raspberries, potatoes, radish and  mizuna/lettuce. 




{Reduce}
Gates were a big feature here this month with a poochy companion to contain. All made from scrounged timber and modified to suit. I do love a quirky gate!

{Green}

I have big news to report here...I have been washing my hair with bicarb/baking soda instead of the usual homemade soap! It was the low supplies that caused such an event and I'm pleased to say that it really works! A tablespoon in a cup, dissolved in a little warm water and poured through the hair, massaged well and then followed with a vinegar rinse leaves my hair feeling clean and fresh. And many thanks to the person who suggested aloe vera as a hair de-frizzer last month..I've been trying this too and am totally impressed! So thankYOUU!! 

My daughter also was bitten by the largest bull ant I've ever seen this week and I immediately reached for the lavender oil to soothe the site. This stuff really is miraculous. 


Lastly, our soap stocks were replenished with a morning of soapmaking with a friend..see 'enhance'. 


{Create} 

a few crossovers here such as gates and soap. Things are mostly quiet on the sewing/yarn fronts with energy being focused elsewhere. 


{Discover}
Over the past month I've been discovering my own neighbourhood! It's only taken me 6 years to do so, but walking a dog is the best way to get out and explore your immediate surrounds. I am covering areas I didn't know existed and am keeping fit at the same time! A new app: mytracks is fantastic for keeping me up to date with my speeds, routes and various other statistics. 

Online, I recently came across an inspiring blog started by a couple who have ridden up the east coast of Australia on their push bikes, researching slow living, sustainability and self-sufficiency along the way. For more info, see here: Simple Lives. Very inspiring, I'm looking forward to reading more of this interesting journey soon. 




{Enhance}
This month I helped out at two of my daughters school camps, one being a practice bike ride before they embarked on their 'real thing' the following week. We were lucky as the weather was glorious and the 40 kids or so cycling were a dream. 
I also supported our local neighbourhood house by booking a stall at their pre-Christmas craft market - a lovely morning was spent chatting with a friend who shared my stall. 

The same friend also came around one morning and we spent some time making several batches of soap to hopefully cure in time for Christmas. It was lovely to pass on my knowledge that I have gained in this area so far and watch as she became inspired to try different combinations in the future. We made four batches of cold pressed soap and split them to end up with an assortment of each. Our soaps made were: Oatmeal and Honey, Lavender and Rosemary infusion, Garden herb (made by grinding up her gorgeous pot pourri and a Calendula and Chamomile - also made by grinding up the dried herbs (grown in our vegetable gardens). 




{Enjoy}
November saw the return of warm days at last (!), loads of doggie walks, veggie group sessions with abundant cakes and gardens exploding into growth, not to mention Oma's birthday!

I also enjoyed a trip into the city with my youngest to see the Christmas windows and we took the chance to stroll through the Queen Victoria markets on the way back, stocking up with fruit along the way. One on one time with one of your own is so important and something we should do more of, they just love it!






How were things in your world, this month?

15 comments:

  1. Your garlic is just fantastic compared to my pitful harvest....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all absolutely GORGEOUS! Brilliant, Christine ~ just brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is sounding great!

    I love hearing that you and that puppy are getting along so well. Dogs really are the best for so many things. :-)

    I was intrigued by that aloe vera rinse as well, but have not tried it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh those soaps...they look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I wish I could say we were coming into some warm weather here, just the opposite. Your soaps look fantastic, I've never made bars of soap before, something I need to remedy.Good luck at the craft market.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm back this month! After a few months of being constantly sick i'm finally starting to feel a little better and a bit more is happening around these parts. Thanks again for sharing Christine and everyone else. Everything is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should get over my fear of soaping making and give it a go again soon. Yours looks amazing.

      Delete
  7. That soap is so gorgeous Christine. It makes me want to give soap making a try (I'm a bit scared of the lye bit).

    I love the look of your raspberries as well. We planted raspberries for the first time this year and have a lovely little batch of fruit growing. Yumm :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The soap looks so pretty! The girls would have loved you being on camp. Good on you! And yes, I find lavender amazing for so many different things - burns, sores, ear infection and more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garlic looks great - and it is a sad reminder to me that I forgot to plant my sprouted garlic before the ground froze. Oops. Next year..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks again for hosting this Christine! Love seeing what you have been up too.... and am just a trifle envious of your beautiful soap. I'm a tad nervous of trying soapmaking - as well as just plain busy, so I will just have to drool over your lovely ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christine, your photos look beautiful! After seeing your soaps, I think I will have to try that out with the kids over the school holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Once againso much happening in your world! School camps are great fun to go on arent they and I agree, a dog is a great way to get to know your neighbourhood! I have finally surfaced again and joined in your linkup! Better late than never! - Kara xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, your soap looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Christine, Sorry I missed November's post, and have now just realised that December's is looking dodgy too! But I did want to take the opportunity to say Thank You so much for hosting this monthly reflection this year. I loved being a part of it and have met so many interesting people through it. It was one of the first connections I made when I started blogging a year ago, and definitely one of the highlights throughout the year. I look forward to seeing where life takes you next year (and trying to work out how to tie perfect plaits of garlic like yours!!). Tobi x

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...