Saturday, November 10, 2012

Smoke signals

The weeks have been crazy busy around here. There are summer plantings to go in, hectic schedules for end of year activities, a handful of markets to attend (and prepare for!) and a new dog to keep us (me!) busy! Not to mention all the mundane jobs around the house that never seem to go away,  meals to cook and a dog enclosure to create! You get the picture, don't you. I'm sure it's quite the same at your place, this end of year bustle that won't see relief until the quiet days of January.

On the plus side, I did manage to plant 50 tomato seedlings grown in newspaper pots last week, which I was so pleased to do. My dream is to one day grow enough tomatoes to bottle, and, being occupants of a shady property I figure the more plants the better in the hopes of getting (abundant, shhh, don't want to jink it) fruit! Let's hope so, anyway..


In between times, we have been eating loads of leeks from the garden, along with carrots and silverbeet. In fact, I cleared a bed in preparation for some tomatoes and in the process filled the fridge! Don't you just love 'shopping' from your own backyard? My favourite way to use up assorted garden offerings is still our ever trusty standby, garden harvest fried rice...
{sage}
A woolly package was sent off to some new parents in the family. I have to say I was relieved to get this project completed. Knitting, or rather finding the time for it, seems like such a luxury right now..
Checkheaton baby 4 ply merino. With little time or patience to spend on a detailed pattern right now, I followed the 'colour as the focus' line of thinking. I'm really liking variegations in this yarn! 

Poppies are arriving. Whoop!


The 11yo and I each had a stall at a local market today. It was great fun as her chum came too, as well as The Chum's mum, my good kefir sharing friend who is also a wonderful vegetable gardener. She also happens to make the most divine pot pourri, all grown without chemicals in her own garden and dried with the utmost care. We enjoyed sharing a stall together..

It was so nice to sit and catch up, do a spot of Christmas shopping and enjoy each others company. The time just seemed to disappear!


It's been nice to fire up the little chiminea again and cooking in it is such fun!
Today it was pizzas. A batch of dough made with 600g of flour is enough to make four medium thin crust pizzas for us..just right for a garlic one for a starter, one for the tweens to share, a mamma creation and a pappa one to his liking! With enough for lunchy leftovers the following day. ;) I honestly can't remember the last time we ate a takeaway pizza! 

'Smoke signals' are always the highlight of such dinners. No sooner is the chimney lit, there are hands stuffing twigs in there, waiting for them to heat up and start to burn, only to extinguish them to form the much loved 'signals' to wave about in the breeze. One of the many benefits of eating outside, which we are loving doing with some warmer weather making an appearance here lately.

Enjoy the weekend out there, people! (Are things crazy busy at your place too?)

28 comments:

  1. Yip, things do heat up in summer in more ways than one but this weekend I purposely planned nothing...not even getting into a car to go anywhere...we all need the down time.

    Tomorrow though I think we will take the dogs and kids to the beach nice and early and all have our first swim for the year (incl dogs!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED your update :) Things are crazy here as well, but in a totally different way... weeding and harvesting has been replaced by snow shovelling, plowing and hauling water and feed through the drifts to the chicken house. Your wares look absolutely adorable and are impeccably sewn - WELL DONE to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all sounds good to me. I loved the outfit for the new baby, and am missing summer already thanks to your photos. Your pizza looks delicious. I haven't had pizza since I gave up having an oven. I'm seriously considering a chiminea for outside next year from learning all the foods you can cook on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy and Sherri :)

      Living simply, the chiminea is seriously surprising me with the amount of foods it can cook! Well worth the investment. ;)

      Delete
  4. Ha ha! You share my tomato dream! Lovely to see your happenings. It sounds busy, but fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your garden harvesting fried rice. You are going into gardening season and we are putting our gardens to bed for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness, your girls are almost young women Chris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, that they are, Rose, that they are..eek! :)

      Delete
  7. Glad you are enjoying the markets. Our little gardening group is starting to do them too ( I just potted up 10 summer fruiting raspberry plants today) . ...nice being out there with like minded people and even lovelier that your daughter contributes to the stall.
    Looks like you are enjoying everything your back yard has to offer.
    I am so annoyed that I can't wear my 'Little Black Cow Beanie ' now that the hot weather has arrived... can't wait till you start making 'Little Black Cow Caps'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear what you're up to, Kim! So glad you enjoyed wearing the hat. xx

      Delete
  8. Loving all of this, what a great way to be busy. Good luck with the 50 tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I am not much for pot pouri but that looks & sounds great... sounds like the best way to have a market stall too, with a friend & your daughters. I also love the colours in the present you gave to your friends with a new baby.

    Christine, I love your chiminea, and didn't they have came with removable top sections, to be able to do pizza, or even boil water. Can you please tell me where you got it, if you don't mind?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me again, I meant that I didn't know the chimeneas could be like that.

    Anyways, I searched on your blog now & found more information about them... we've been wanting to build a rocket stove or two, but that project is never a priority, with lack of time & know-how, so this would be a good solution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heya there, Bec, the chiminea was bought from Bunnings (close to $300). No assembly required, just stack it together and away you go. A really good addition to the backyard/outdoor kitchen. :)

      Delete
  11. Your photos are just beautiful especially the lovely close ups of the flowers. It's madly busy here too, my knitting is suffering and even finding time to blog is getting harder.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love that smoky smiley photo. Such a beautiful stall. The cherry aphids are back! How are you going to deal with the little varmints?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aggh! Nasty little critters, aren't they! I've been plucking off all new growth that is infested and have implemented the 'sticky band' on offending trees. Hoping this works.

      Delete
  13. The little sweater is adorable - did you get the pattern somewhere online?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, Heidi, it came from the stack of vintage patterns in my craft room. Treasure from yesteryear. :)

      Delete
  14. All looks great Christine, I love your photos. Busy here too...
    Don't forget to stop...and breathe :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, quite right, Bryds, Breathe. Am doing that right now. xx

      Delete
  15. Great snapshots of your busy world Christine. I'm with you on the tomato thing, just love them and could think of nothing better than bottles and bottles of passata on the shelf at the ready. Everything you're doing looks amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you're having a wonderful time, Chris! Good luck with the tomatoes, we just can't seem to get the big ones to grow here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear I'm not alone in the tomato dream..we can always have a little dream, right? :)

      Delete
  17. Such beautiful, eye-poppingly pretty photos of life going by.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your pizza looks very delish! I prefer using my brick oven to make my own pizza than rushing to the restaurant to buy one. Using the brick oven, or the chimney in your case, cooks evenly any dish and thus allowing the various spices to add more flavor to it. Anyway, you’ve got great photos here and I really enjoy reading your blogs about what you’re cooking in your brick oven and in your “chiminea”. :D

    -Nohemi Tutterrow-

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...