Thursday, November 1, 2012

Slow Living 2012 - Month 10

It's that time again! Time to look back on the past month and note achievements and progress of all things Slow.  If you feel inclined to join in, please do! Just leave a link to your blog post written in this format at the bottom of this page and enjoy hopping over to see what others have been up to, hopefully gaining some new ideas and inspiration.  For a detailed description of each category, click here.  


{Nourish} I'm embarrassed to say but this has been The Month of the Cake. There is a good reason though, it happens to be the birthday month around here. On the plus side, we have been consuming LOADS of kefir, both of the milk and water variety, which surely has to have a positive counter effect, right?


{Prepare} Aha, yep, as with last month, zilcho! Really, this is not preserving/bottling season around here! Does taste testing a few of hubby's home brew offerings count? All for evaluation purposes, of course ;)

{Grow} Tomato and pumpkin seedlings are going well and will hopefully be planted out in the next week or two. I must make an effort and put some zucchini and bean seeds in this week. I've noticed that the cherry trees have tiny fruit on them and made a ghastly discovery yesterday in the form of black aphids! They were clearly being farmed by a substantial population of ants so I have made an attempt at a couple of homemade 'sticky bands', which will hopefully keep the ants down on the ground where they belong!

We are currently harvesting silverbeet (still, ugh!), lettuce, leeks, carrots (just! They are about to go to seed), parsley, kale, spring onions and celery. Oh, and eggs. Plenty of eggs! I really don't know what I'd do if we didn't have eggs..


{Reduce} I happened to scrounge a handful of fence posts this month after sighting them on the side of the road with a 'free' sign attached! It couldn't be better timing as we need to install three gates to secure the backyard into a dog home zone. Newspaper pots were made for starting off seedlings but my most favourite scrounge of all this month was a new/old sewing machine. I do have a soft spot for sewing machines from previous eras and just could not walk past this little gem in the op shop when I discovered they were having a half price sale! $20 and it actually still does zig-zag, which is more than I can say for my later model Janome!


{Green} I've made a big effort this month to cut back on driving where I can. We have ridden to school and the shops on a few occasions and when we are running short on time on other days, will drive half way to school and walk the rest of the way, doing the same in the afternoon (it's actually a little too far to walk all the way!). Keeping a dog is the best exercise motivator around! 

I have also been reaching for the bicarb as a natural deodorant as the weather warmed up and this week I had the comfrey ointment by my side after I ridiculously pulled a back muscle while making the bed. Pfft! I know, absolutley ridiculous. Using the ointment, I was back to my normal self in just two days. 

Create
Loads of sewing took place this month (on the new/old sewing machine, whoop!), plus a little knitting. I finished a dress that had been on the backburner for way too long that I wore to a wedding and I also managed to crochet up a few coat hanger covers, which was a complete first for me! I remember my nana making similar covers to fund raise for fetes! 



{Discover} I am SO enjoying revisiting cherished sewing patterns from my stash - in particular the Enid Gilchrist designs. There is something so satisfying about drafting up patterns onto brown paper! I have also been studying a book I found in the bookcase - The New Dog Handbook, which is full of loads of useful info on all things doggy. I also was introduced to an interesting site: Herbs and Oils World when I had my homemade comfrey ointment featured there.


{Enhance} October saw action at spinning group, the local show, veggie group and the Suitcase Rummage. All enjoyable events out in the community.

{Enjoy} Last month was a huge month, enjoyement wise - hence my sporadic posting of late. Tween birthdays, an interstate wedding, a  poochy pal, an ugly frock party, school productions and Oma's Halloween celebrations were all on the agenda. Yes, a fun filled, action packed month indeed! Life is good.


So, tell me, how was YOUR month?


21 comments:

  1. Love your sewing machine - I have a growing collection of Singers. I don't know what it is about them, but I find them virtually irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine, yip dog walking is great enforced exercise! Well done on all your endeavours this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to be linking up again this month. You have had a great month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your little sewing machine. I have my Grandmother's old one... I just adore it. I don't think it does zig-zag stitch, but I'm not sure it ever did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colours of your knitting! Lovely month, thanks for the opportunity to link up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good catch on the sewing machine! I've been looking for another too - mine is acting is age.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First the ants, around here to stop them from climbing trees we paint the bottom say 3 feet of the trunk. The ants won't go up because the paint doesn't hold their scent and they can't find their way.

    You had a busy month. What a great idea to drive part of the way to school and walk the rest for exercise and to save gas. Maybe you should challenge others to try this. What a great find on the sewing machine! I found several around here for only $15 in a case but have no room to put a piece of furniture so passed them up. Now my daughter-in-law tells me she wants a machine and I'm kicking myself because she has the room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sewing machine looks amazing! Great find :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the sewing machine Christine. I have one on my Christmas list.... then I just need to learn how to sew, how exciting.

    The tomato seedlings look wonderful, so much better than the ones that curled up and died as soon as I put them in the ground here. They never looked good, got too cold I think. Had to buy some replacements from the farmer's market. I'm hoping the cherry tomato seedlings that I haven't planted out yet will do better. Fingers crossed.

    Knitting looks great too.

    I'm yet to do my post, but will add my link when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The bloggers dilemma: Too busy doing things and run out of time to blog or all the time in the world and not a lot to blog about! Stay busy - it makes for great posts when you get around to it! What are you knitting? It looks interesting - and an ugly dress party??? where are the photos from that??? - K xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That cake and sewing machine look devine. And I love the idea of an ugly frock party - think I'll do that for my birthday next year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am looking forward to trying your recipe for the comfrey ointment. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Even though silverbeet has been such a reliable companion over winter, it really does feel like it's time for it to end and make way for some summer vegies, doesn't it?! Sounds like you've obviously had a great month Christine :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've had a great month Christine, I am going to have a go at crocheting some coat hanger covers too, they look so cute! Have a lovely week, Julie :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a find with that sewing machine! I bought mine just before they went lightweight and I would never give it up! I can send it off for repair every time it plays up (which isn't often) and it comes back like new.

    Happy birthday to the relevant tweens! October is a big birthday month in our family too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. a busy month for you Christine and it all looks like good busy! I'm interested in the bicarb as a deodorant. I use it for absolutely everything else but haven't used as yet for under the old arms.
    Glad your back healed up relatively quickly, there is nothing more annoying than a pulled muscle!

    as for cake, surely there can never be too much? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, its done! Not really late but not early either..... the story of my days! Its taken me a while to get back into the swing of our rhythm but I hope I've got it now! In my life it seems to be all about the garden at the moment and I have to remind myself that Christmas is just around the corner.....yikes!!
    Thanks for putting this together Christine, it's always enjoyable to join in!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Christine, Just popping over to visit from cityhippyfarmgirl and so glad I did. What a lovely space you have here. I'd love to join in your slow living posts but i guess there are only 2 months to go? Will you do them again next year? Mel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Join in anytime you like, Mel, it would be lovely to have you along! :)

      Delete
  19. I have been using homemade powdered deodorant for several years now, but I find straight bicard way to harsh so mix it about 1 to 3 with arrowroot or tapioca starch and a few drops of lavendar oil. x te

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...