Monday, November 26, 2012

Garden update - Nov 2012

Gosh it really has been the longest time since I've done a garden update! My reasoning is that the Slow Living catch ups each month take care of it. But it's so nice to look back over the months..(years even!), and see the changes that have evolved in our outdoor space..

Garlic is out!
After neglecting to water it during a dry patch, our garlic decreed it was time to be pulled by doing the predictable yellowing of the leaves and inevitable flop. Oh well, the bulbs are not as large as last year's, but with close to 200 of them, they should be enough to see us through the next twelve months.

Ladders have been implemented in the hopes of rampant pumpkin vines. I have several varieties planted here and after a meager pumpkin harvest last year, am hoping for the best..

Our first quinices ever! I do hope they'll stick around and not do that fruit drop that seems to happen so often with other young fruit trees..

Oh, look, a gate! Made from scrounged twigs from our property. A most time consuming exercise, but charming I suppose, in it's own rustic way..
Let's hope it stands up to the rigours of a funny little dog..

Cherries are turning. This variety is a Sunburst..I think! They seem to have survived the attack of the black aphids - picking off infected new growth and applying sticky bands to the trunks seemed to do the trick.

The raspberry walk this year is actually that - an unobstructed walk! This is quite a step up from last year's jungle scramble..
Hooping the canes has helped enormously in keeping them contained. And oh, look at that..would that be another quirky gate made by yours truly? I think it might be. I do love a gate made from scrounged materials.


First currants ever, exciting!

Tomatoes are growing well, given their semi shaded position..

And strawberries always seem to perform better for me in pots and planter boxes rather than the ground. I can see a project of strawberry planter boxes happening sometime in my not too distant future..

I hope you're enjoying your garden as much as I am here! There seems to be so much to do at this time of year, but a little each day slowly marks the 'to-do's' off the list.

Fingers and toes crossed for abundant summer harvests! :)

30 comments:

  1. Hi Christine,

    Do you just drape/hang the pumpkin vines over the ladders?? I'm curious how it works. I've accidently planted more pumpkin plants than I intended and I think they may take over the garden :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's the way, Mrs B! No point wasting all that available vertical space now, eh? ;)

      Delete
  2. Your garden is starting to look like a little park that people would love to go and walk through. I love the raspberry path and I love the gate you made(does it keep goats out??)
    The pumpkin idea sounds great, I am all for creating little shady nooks in the garden .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee, I have no intention of the goats coming this far up to the house, Kim, although I am sure they will put it to the test if (when) they do! As long as it keeps the little pooch IN, I'm happy.

      Delete
  3. I love how you are using ladders to support your pumpkin vines. I am trying to grow mine over an old metal clothes airer so that hubby doesn't attack it with the lawnmower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea - my hubby took out a few of my currants last year with the ride on..should've had the clothes airer in place :)

      Delete
  4. OMG... loving your garden... I would love to sit and knit in the shade all day!! Or even have a little blanket on the grass where i could bead the day away!!!
    Keep up the great work... ill be back soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thankyou, Kimba, you are too kind! Looking forward to after the new year when we WILL have time to sit and relax on a blanky..:)

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful garden tour! LOVE your gates!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a chook pen made with twigs off our place. I love it! Good luck with the quinces because they are soooo yummy! Your whole garden looks happy and productive. Nice to look around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it's funny Linda, because no sooner had we (I!) finished the gate, I saw someone making one on the telly. Coincidence or what?
      One day you must come and have a look around, for real! :)

      Delete
    2. I would love to do that Christine! Next time I'm planning to visit my granddaughter, I'll contact you to see if you're busy. I would love to see your garden.

      Delete
  7. Your garden is looking great Christine. My cherry tree has a similar affliction with black aphids. Eco oil seemed to sort them out. Last year it was cherry/pear slug. I wonder what pest will attack them next year!

    Gav x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's always something, isn't it, Gav? Thanks for the tip on the Eco oil..will try it next time for sure.

      Delete
  8. My DH and I have already eaten our cherry harvest. Very tasty! Unfortunately there was only 1 cherry and we each had a bite. It was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Too funny, Deb! However, I can relate..very much.

      Thanks, Wendy.

      Delete
  10. What an amazing property you have. I love the gates and the raspberry walk. It all looks so inviting wish I could be there right now instead of in my snow. One day I hope I can say my field looks half as inviting as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou - although the other day some snow would've been nice, it was absolutely sweltering..ugh.

      Delete
  11. what a beautiful walk through your garden - both gates are lovely. A gate seems to always invite people to adventure further. Gosh I would love to sit for a spell in that red bench overlooking the water...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a gate does seem to invite..if only mine stayed on their hinges properly..they always seem to drop! Anyone know the secret to combat this?

      Delete
  12. Great garlic, well done. Mine. Was a bit of a failure this first time growing it. And all the fruit, wonderful! Our garden is also full of summer life and promise, so very hot hear already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garlic seems to get more reliable each year, Wendy, and I just can't bring myself to buy the imported sprayed varieties so it really makes sense for us to grow as much as we will eat in a year. I would imagine your garden is looking as lush as ever, you always inspire. :)

      Delete
  13. What great pictures and what a yummy looking garden. Hugs, Bobbi Jo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Envying your raspberry taming, love the ladders, wishing I was more on top of those little black leaf suckers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nasty critters, although I think they've mostly gone now. I keep looking around for the slug though...the pesky pear slug.ugh!

      Delete
  15. I really enjoy reading your blog and have nominated you for the Inspiring Blogger award. To accept the award you link back to me, then list 7 things about yourself, and nominate 15 other bloggers and leave them a message that they were nominated.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...