Monday, October 1, 2012

Slow Living 2012 - Month 9

Pinch and a punch for the first day of the month!

Really, I don't know where the year is going! Time once again for the monthly round up of all things Slow. If you feel inclined to join in, please do! You are most welcome, just leave a link to your blog post written in this format at the bottom of this page and enjoy blog hopping to see what others have been up to, hopefully gaining some new ideas and inspiration. For a detailed description of each category, click here.   

September had a really nice vibe to it - loads of positive and creative energy saw me rise out of my winter slump and get cracking on projects sitting stagnant for far too long. It's a great feeling of accomplishment to look back over the day or week and say..Yes, I DID that!


{Prepare} You didn't really expect to hear that I'd been preserving this month, did you? There is absolutely zip in the way of harvests for bottling at the moment. I have however, been finding myself stocking up on pantry goods. This is so nice for a person that positively detests going to the shops to buy food.

{Nourish}
On the other hand, eating from our bottled goods has been happening. Jams and bottled peaches. Pie apple and passata. Even blackberry cordial, it's all about emptying cupboards and jars to make room for more bottled deliciousness come the summer months. I was also gifted a jar of kefir grains that have proven to be most intriguing. I am really enjoying this learning curve and observing subtle changes as we consume this ancient probiotic beverage.


{Grow} So relieved to be out of my winter slump/hibernation, I got a little excited a couple of weeks ago and sowed a whole bunch of seeds. About 8 varieties of tomatoes, several pumpkin types and cucumbers too. 96 little seedlings have since been transplanted to paper pots..I know,  I just couldn't seem  make it to 100! Finding boxes to hold the newspaper pots is proving to be a challenge, however I did score gold a week or so ago, finding some corflute grape boxes from Aldi. Each box holds exactly 48 newspaper pots!

Harvests this month have included celery, silverbeet, parsely, oregano, carrots, leeks, lettuce, rocket, chives, broccoli and kale. So far I haven't seen any white cabbage moths around but I fear it won't be long before they arrive.

In the fruit orchard I was really pleased to see that our apricot trees have set some tiny fruit - I was quite concerned that they wouldn't as both were in blossom during the ferocious winds we had. Besides the blossom blowing away in the wind, the bees seemed non-existent during this couple of weeks.


{Reduce} Ok, let's see. I made bags from my first market stall out of newspaper instead of buying new ones. Sticks have been gathered from around the property with the plan of making some more garden tee-pees. Op-shopping yielded three bar stools for our pizza oven area and a retro vinyl air lift chair for our workbench in the garage. A tip scrounged sink also made it's way into the garden, perched comfortably on our old bassinet frame.

{Green} Vinegar spray has been my kitchen saviour this month. With two tweens who love to cook (and splatter and drip), it's a necessity to have by the sink. I've also been enjoying cooking with our chiminea a couple of times a week, eliminating the need to turn on the inside oven. Our woodfired oven also got a good workout this month by providing us with a week's worth of meals, yum!



{Create} I loved organising things for my first market stall this month. It was so much fun! Even the nitty gritty things like a little label to go on the bags or a clothes rack made from a couple of branches was very satisfying.

{Discover}.....uhhhh, does reading the newspaper count? That has been about the extent of my reading this month,  life has just been SO full lately. Catching up on your slow living reviews is a favourite too, you guys are a clever bunch of people with so many great tips share each month! Thankyou!


{Enhance} My turn for hosting veggie group rolled around again this month and I was pleased to break a little drought that had been happening with several cancellations due to sicknesses within the group and lousy weather that just seemed to go on for weeks. It was good to see the group together again and reconnect. I was also extremely proud to hear two of my veggie grouping friends on the radio being interviewed on the radio about our activities - a great feeling to be part of such a fantastic group.

{Enjoy} oooh, now let me see,  an 8 year old turning nine, an Oma returning home after epic travels, an inaugural market stall, spring weather, a family get together and school holidays, where should I start? They were all enjoyed during the month. Life is good.



How has your month been?

24 comments:

  1. I saw those newspaper bags on a previous blog post and thought they were fabulous. It seems you had much enjoyment in the time passed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you HAVE been busy and you never cease to inspire me :) I also detest shopping (most especially for food). It's so relieving to have a stockpile on hand to avoid that task as long as possible LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are fantastic, as always. I enjoy reading so much about the gardening season that you all have throughout the year - we have no such thing as winter garden in Ontario. Sometime this month the frost will hit, killing everything that is left and then in the next couple of months winter will get serious and we won't even remember what the colour green looked like. I admit that I like the winter months too though - they are good for hibernation, as you said. And resting up for the frantic activity of the spring and summer again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for inspiring me to take part this month. It was the space that I needed!

    Eleanor

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! 96 seedlings - i do miss the excitement of spring approaching and deciding what to plant, and how soon can i get away with it!.
    I enjoy this monthly post at thinking about what i have done, and where i can improve - thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An impressive number of seedlings! I've only just started preserving, it's funny to think of you munching away on your storecupboard supplies. I hadn't thought of blackberry cordial. I may have to go for one last blackberrying trip....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to see what you have been up to and to link up again, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the thought you put into things - clothes racks from branches, bags from newspaper, fantastic! You've also reminded me that I need to start monthly shopping again coz I can't stand going shopping either. I used to put thought into a monthly shop and it frees up so much time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All the bees must be at our place. We have two huge trees (no idea what they are) that are literally covered in bees. If you stand under them all you can hear is a constant hum. Some even tried to get a ride inside on my jumper yesterday.

    I'm quite a fan of your chimenea posts and think Mr B might be getting one for Xmas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, reading the newspaper counts at least as far as I'm concerned. I am so glad that once again I'm not the only one falling behind on preserving foods for the upcoming winter. I can't wait to hear how your apricot trees produce this year. I would love to have an entire orchard of fruit trees.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm pleased to say I've completed my entry already! Yay! Thanks again Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've been eating our canned goods almost as fast as I can make them... ok, not quite that fast but I bet we run out before winter is over. ;-)

    Happy Spring to you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving the spider web shot Christine. I have a few of your older posts to catch up with, but I hope the market stall went well. Another busy month for you.

    I've just completed my post, very early in the month for me yay!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos Christine. I love your monthly post to see what you get up to.
    I'm desperate to do some more preserving as I feel it's been too long, just can't find much to preserve.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You never fail to inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Always so inspirational Christine. Love reading your monthly post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Christine, Lovely post, your vegie group sounds ace, wish I could join! I'm back on track this month are a slight hiccup in August! Have a great day, Julie :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. A great month. I was also happy to see some fruit develop on our apricot tree.
    Such clever recycling ideas too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely month you've had, Chris! Hope Spring brings lots of new growth to your garden beds! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely idea to reflect on the month that was and yours has certainly been rewarding. I had to buy something from your stall just so I could have one of those gorgeous newspaper bags!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello! We are in the otrher side of the planet. Now is autumn, we are leaving the summer away, soon the winter arrives with the oranges and mandarines. I love winter, summer is too hot here in Spain.
    I enjoy reading your blog and looking your beatiful pictures. the best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Have FINALLY written my post and am now looking forward to reading everyone elses.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. It sounds like you're bursting with Spring energy Christine! Good to hear that your apricots survived the heavy winds. I suspect my nectarines weren't so lucky. But my apple trees have more blossoms than they've had before, so I'm hopeful of some fruit crop this summer. Great to link up with you again this month (even though I'm a bit late!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Better late than never! Great to finally get here - very (unplanned)busy week but I made it. Even have the day off work today - migh have to go to blogland and catch up with everyone! Pop the jug on! - Kara xx

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...