Nimble thimbles

Much sewing action has been happening here this week (a window during the day with kids at school does help ;)). It's all part of a project, you see and before the thought pops into your mind, no, I am not expecting.

I've been having a most wonderful time delving into my stash of yarn and fabric, reclaiming materials for new uses. It's very soothing to ponder over the possibilities of this buried treasure. And being a sewer and knitter, this stuff accumulates! Oh. My. Gosh. It surely does!

I was beyond excited recently when I came across a near perfect copy of Enid Gilchrest's sewing booklet in an op shop. I had sewn many things from this charming reference when my girls were small and had sadly misplaced it while moving! To have it back, albeit with a different cover, is strangely comforting!

Wanting to get a little nostalgic sewing underway, I had to haul out the middle tween's sewing machine after I realised I had lent a foot attachment to my friend off my old Janome. Old sewing machines really resonate with me for some reason. I love this old Pinnock, even if the feed dogs are a little too low for my liking.

Yup, there it is, my second copy of Enid Gilchrest's book. I don't know what it's doing there, tucked up
in the knitting basket..it is a sewing book after all! 

My head is full of threads and yarns, colours and trims. It's a good feeling. I just wish I could locate my misplaced thimble.. ahh! The table top, sturdy as it is, just doesn't suffice.


What's been keeping your mind and hands active lately? 

Comments

  1. It must have felt like a little escape into a bubble of serenity, Chris! I don't sew much anymore (someone turned my sewing room into a conservatory!), but I still remember the bliss of immersing myself into a project..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, yes, the conservatory Celia, I remember you posting about this - a lovely sanctuary for you to have! Comparable to a sewing room, really.. ;)

      Delete
  2. I have never sewn clothes, but have made plenty of curtains over the years, as they are much cheaper to make than buy. My son just bought his first home and I again offered to make the curtains for the kids rooms, but I have a feeling he will be asking me to make curtains for more than just those two rooms so I may be busy soon too.

    I just love flowered dress/top you are making!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, oh dear, livingsimplyfree, you did ask for it. It's a good kind of busy to be though, perched in front of a device that lets you put your pedal to the metal for fantastic results! Enjoy. :)

      Delete
  3. I've dived back into my yarn stash again. I've decided really can't buy any more yarn until I use up most of what I already have. Should save me spending $$$ on yarn for about 6 years or so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly where I'm at, Frogdancer. NO more purchases of the yarny/fabric-y type until a significant dent has been made. It's amazing what one can find lurking in there! Happy de-stashing.

      Delete
  4. Canning as it is high summer where I am. Also started to play around with sewing. I made my first pair of pants last week on my antique 1890's Singer sewing machine. Lots of spinning on my drop spindle from my english angora bunnies. Oh, and one of our local farmers at the market is going to bring me a big bag of sheep's wool to play with..for free. He says the only thing he knows to do with it is as mulch! Should keep me busy. May have to break down and get a spinning wheel soon... Always enjoy reading your posts! Thanks for keeping me inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, an 1890's Singer, Melanie? I'm deeply envious! An still in running order, too!

      And you have angora bunnies? Oh, be still my beating heart, these are number one on my list of fibre fantasies!!

      Delete
    2. It is still in working order! I'm getting used to the rhythm of the peddle and it's very nice to make something without relying on electricity. I am very lucky that my parents keep family heirlooms in good shape.

      I have 5 english angora bunnies. They are the sweetest most cuddly animals ever! Their fiber is so soft and super warm. I have been making neck warmers and hats so far. My husband wore his neck warmer non stop all winter. It was so cozy that he would forget he was wearing it when he went to bed and sleep in it! Let me know if you have any questions about keeping angoras.

      Are you on facebook? I can friend you and you can see photos of my garden, chickens, and angora bunnies.

      Delete
  5. A friend just brought me a big bag of yarn stash which I am turning into a crochet bag. I wish I could sew!! I bought a very basic machine a few months ago and two lovely sewing books but can't make head nor tail of either. Your sewing is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe try starting out with simple projects, Emma..bandanas, drawstring bags, table mats and so one. Once you get the hang of the needle moving and pressing the foot pedal, everything seems to fall into place..kind of like driving a car! ;)

      Delete
  6. I love the Enid gilchrist books but have lost quite a few over the years and have been waiting to get some at a good price ever since.
    Happy Sewing:0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been drafting some summer baby/toddler dresses myself during the last week. What a coincidence! I am considering opening an easy shop and selling some.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh - so many pretty things! I love the materials and all the colours in this post. You have made me smile in delight! - Kara xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts