Monday, July 16, 2012

Hibernation

It's good to have a break.

To completely stop all outside activities and contact (well mostly).

To be unplugged for a while, even on your phone.

To not have to rush around and be frazzled each evening at dinner time.

To laze around in the morning contemplating the day and what it might see you doing - or not, perhaps tomorrow...

To even do nothing!

What a luxury this is and a rainy school holiday break was the perfect time to indulge in such nothing-ness.

But surely I must've done something, right?

Well, ok then, I admit, I have. It's hard for me to do absolutely nothing..something is always ticking away, even if it's just my overactive brain scheming up new hair-brained schemes while pretending to do (mostly) nothing...

I watched the garlic grow..

..and get rained on, dry out marginally only to be rained on again, repeat x 20 and this was my week. 

I jointed a chicken! 
I was inspired to do this after reading some of the comments recently (especially Wendy's), from stock making and the slow living monthly update.

Sturdy kitchen scissors did the trick and I was really pleased to obtain six neat pieces from the bird, which were then marinated in lemon juice, garlic, olive oil and rosemary and then baked for around an hour. A really easy dinner with rice and vegetables alongside. There was plenty of lemony/rosemary sauce at the end of baking to drizzle over the rice which was nice. The leftover bones were of course frozen for stock making (which happens to be simmering right at this moment as it turns out).

Op shop visits did take place..
With interesting finds - including a kaiser roll cutter for 50c! What fun I will have playing with this...


I also encouraged my middle one take her wares to a local garden gift shop. Her origami tulips are just the sweetest things and seeing them in our home adds cheer to my day - no end! I wanted to share the good feeling around. Having her walk away with her very first contact, their business card and a little bit of pocket money in her purse was a bonus that brought a smile to her face like you wouldn't believe. 


Throw in an exciting new project (details soon, I promise!), a monster yarn de-stash, re-visiting Little House on the Prairie and celebrating my brother's 40th it was a perfect winter break.



How have you been keeping? 

24 comments:

  1. Enjoy the summer fun :) But it is nice to stop and just live without any expectation :)
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How clever are those tulips? Have been wondering about what you've been up to. I wouldn't have known what a Kaiser roll cutter was before today - those rolls look gorgeous. It was definitely an indoors kind of a holiday. Some epic sleep ins at our place made Monday morning a challenge for all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much for doing nothing : ) But I know how that is. I hope you have enjoyed a quieter time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful! LOVE the tulips - so happy and joyful :) Soon, you will have REAL Spring tulips, no?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty tulips, and good for the young entrepreneur :)

    It's funny you mention Little House on the Prairie! I bought 3 of the books on tape at a thrift shop recently, to play in the car. I never read these as a child, which is very surprising considering everything else I read, and listening to them now is helping me through my unavoidable commutes and occasional errand-runs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh well done Christine on the jointing of the chicken. It really is a money saver! I love the tulips and am envious of the rolls cutter! How cool is that!?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you've been having a wonderfully mellow time! I usually keep chicken frozen whole and joint it - sometimes with a knife and sometimes with scissors. It's the perfect way to feed our family - the boys eat the thighs, drumsticks and wings, Pete eats the breast and I have the back! :D

    The tulips look glorious and the kaiser cutter is such a find! Hope this week is equally as gentle and pleasant for you, Chris.. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That kaiser cutter looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also didn't know what a kaiser cutter was until now.
    Those tulips are very pretty. Well done. You must be so proud of your middle one. Your chicken looks beautiful. I'm glad you shared. I'm going to give that one a try over the weekend. :) Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Gladys! I think I used about half a cup of olive oil, the juice of a lemon (or two if small), a couple of cloves of garlic and a few sprigs of fresh rosemary finely chopped, plus salt and pepper. It was really yummy, good luck with it! :)

      Delete
  10. How good is that! Though it doesn't look as if you have been doing nothing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a perfect time! Sometimes life moves too fast for you to appreciate the simple things. I am so glad that your daughter found an outlet for her creativity. When my daughter was little she made beautiful origami bird earrings and tried to sell them at a local flea market. They were beautifully made, but just didn't sell - what a hard lesson to learn. (I wanted to bribe someone into buying them all!) Times like that can make or break your creativity. Luckily she still continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the poor thing, africanaussie - I can just imagine how heartbroken she was. If I was there I would've bought some for sure - things made by kids who have taken time and care with their project are just the best! Enjoy your Wednesday. :)

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a lovely variety of gentle occupations. Love the tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this post Christine. We've been hibernating a bit too - reducing our social contacts and hanging out at home doing bits and pieces and just being together. I was beginning to feel like a hermit! Glad other people are doing this too.
    Love your kaiser rolls! And your chicken look soooooo much better than my attempts - think I need better kitchen scissors :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those tulips are just beautiful...i bet she was so proud!You have some fantastic op shop finds there...really i would say your holidays have actually been quite productive it seems...and good for the soul too x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Little House on The Prarie! We own all the DVD's and have watched them all through, I think you've given me some inspiration to re watch them all over again :) That's what I love about that show, you can never tire of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful series to revisit over and over again, isn't it? I would love to have them all on disc, unfortunately we keep watching them out of order and need to keep figuring out who the new characters are! :)

      Delete
  16. Winter is the perfect time for hibination. I always enjoy just watching the garlic grow, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been wondering where you've been Christine. I had to keep muttering to myself, don't pester her, don't pester her... I'm really glad you've had a good break, and it looks like lots of lovely things have been a happening :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Goodmorning! Just stopping by again to let you know I've awarded you with the "inspirational blogger award". Pop over to my blog to see.
    Hope you have a great day! I'm sure your fabulous blog has been awarded lots of lovely awrds like this, but I wanted to let you know that you truly inspire me and that I really appreciate all the tips, recipes and ideas you share. Thank you.
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  19. Christine, your doing nothing sounds like my kinda doing nothing, always something ticking away in the background...but it sounds like you've had a well deserved break.
    As always look forward to hearing about the new project.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooh! I've never jointed a chicken. Must try it because we always buy whole chooks these days. Your daughter is so clever! Good on her for approaching the shop. What a good experience for her.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...