Friday, June 1, 2012

Slow Living 2012 - Month 5

Welcome to Month 5 of the 2012 Slow Living diary - a record to help me keep track of my personal achievements over the past month. For a detailed description of each category, click here. 

Wow! Already the end of month 5! Where is the year going?
I feel a bit like I've been chasing my tail this month..like there are just not enough hours in the day for all the things I want to get done. Maybe it has something to do with the days shortening and the Winter Solstice in just a few short weeks? Who knows!

Anyhow, here is my wrap up for the month of May. As always you are most welcome to join in with your own Slow Living post in this format, just leave a link to your post down the bottom of the page any time during the month of June and enjoy reading what other people have gotten up to..hopefully gaining some inspiration too!  (Please remember to leave a comment below so I can add your blog to my sidebar)

Happy Winter, people! :)


{Nourish} - I've been soaking and cooking batches of beans and pulses and then freezing them in meal size portions. The breadmaker has seen a bit of action this month as I seem to be busy all waking moments elsewhere (!),  a new ginger fluff sponge recipe got a good workout with three bakings ( Lady Flo, if you're interested). I've also discovered lentil soup, yum! Loads of garlic, onion, green/brown lentils and thyme covered with water and simmered all day in the slow cooker, then whizzed with a dollop of cream.

{Prepare} - Hmmm, let's see.. I've been saving all of my scrappy offcuts in the kitchen and placing them in a container in the freezer to save up for a stock making session. It's great because all of the onion ends go in too, eliminating stinky bin syndrome! A big batch of quince paste was also made (and is not lasting as long as I anticipated..) ;)

{Reduce} - a dyer's nook was set up with scrounged materials, compost bays were built from scrap pallets, chook housing from repurposed materials and some spiffy raincoats for some waterphobic goats (from an old jacket).



{Green} - May saw me drying washing under the verandah, washing more dishes by hand, using the slow cooker and stove top more in favour of the oven and firing up our little woodoven to bake two meals - one for dinner, the other to freeze. This is something I'd like to do more of, so long as the weather co-operates. It's no fun standing in the rain stoking a smoking fire..

{Grow} - veggie group kindly sowed my pea seeds, my winter potatoes (experiment) have come up, we seem to have silverbeet everywhere and are still enjoying the odd carrot. I'm trying not to hoe in too much with them in the hopes that they'll increase in size. Oh, and how could I forget that old faithful crop - the perennial leek? They are abundant at the moment!


{Create} - I've dusted off the spinning wheel(s) again (which is absolutely necessary now anyway due to the woodheater going all the time and spreading it's generous ash everywhere!), a tunic for the youngest was cast off along with a pair of mittens,  a little dyeing took place, and a broody coop for hatching chickies was made. Phew! I didn't realise I had been this busy..no wonder I feel exhausted..

{Discover} - I've been playing with natural dyes using plants from our garden..so much to discover here!  Socks two at a time - toe up was also another huge revelation - what a clever way of knitting pairs of things in the round! Oh and lots of building knowledge took place while forming that chook hutch (usually too late, after I had screwed things in place..aggh!)


{Enhance/connect} - May saw me hosting Friday veggie group here, I continued going to spinning group and photo club. I discovered Freecycle and posted my first 'offer' and attended a 'longest morning tea' to support and raise money for the Cancer Foundation.

{Enjoy} - This month we enjoyed hubby's birthday and Mother's Day. I had a movie outing with hubby and enjoyed just generally cosy-ing up as the weather became very chilly!


How was your month?

37 comments:

  1. I'm very much enjoying this series. Thanks for hosting it. I am getting back into dyeing with natural plants now that I have some fiber to dye again. Isn't it magical?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Natalie! Love your daffodil dyed yarn!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Christine
    Thanks for the opportunity to log our attempts big and small again. Love the goat coats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love lentil soup... making it in the crock pot is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ladies, great to have you joining in again!

      Delete
    2. Me, too! Got some lentil curry in the freezer which I wasn't very impressed by so will give converting it a whirl!

      Delete
  4. Those goats look cute in yellow. We have been drying lots of washing inside (wish we had a verandah), it feels like when one lot goes down another goes up. Obviously part of of our decor LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, tis the clothes screen season, Mrs B!

      The goats were pretty much unphased by the coats..however I think the plus side to having them in safety yellow is that if (when, who am I kidding?) they escape, they'll be ridiculously easy to spot! ;)

      Delete
  5. Thanks again for the opportunity to link our blogs it's a great idea to do a monthly audit of how I'm going. Love your goat coats and love lentil soup, it's my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some lovely moments here, Christine.I am in love with the goat raincoats! We have little coats for the goats but they are not waterproof and our goats don't like getting wet either. I see a prime business opportunity here for a goat raincoat making enterprise ....I would buy one!
    Thanks for reminding me to look over my month and reflect....I will get cracking on my post very soon !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chez and Kim.

      The old jacket was actually found on one of my tip shop jaunts, Kim. A great find of waterproof pvc, with just a small tear or two. I think they need a bum strap though because they tend to slide to one side after a couple of hours wear...
      Looking forward to your post!

      Delete
  7. Hi Christine - those "mittens" are actually my Challah Socks. ;-) Pattern can be found here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/challah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. duh, silly me, of course they are! Thanks! ;)

      Delete
  8. Hi Christine, as promised, even though I started my list 22 days into May I found I managed to cover off on pretty much everything anyway! I'm really enjoying being part of this community, not just reading about you all, and I posted my link for you x
    Borgy

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have been busy. I love to read what is the same and what is different to my activities ... must get some perennial leeks ... in fact must get more gardening happening generally. Love your photos. My mother-in-law spins and dyes and has done all her life, I am so impressed by anyone who does and love that you are trying natural dyes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just love the goat coats! Thank you for the opportunity to link up again.Let's hope neither of us are chasing our tails in June, time to slow down :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi everyone, good to see everyone back for another month reflecting and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, here we are again - reflecting on a month past! Love the linky thing, Christine - I had just worked out where to get one for my Colour posts and wondered why you hadn't used one, when lo and behold here it is!!
    Thanks for the link up, though it will take me while to go through all the links this time - seems like there are more and more each month..... awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, another month gone already! The goat coats are really cool, and I also loved your chook shed design. The lift up shutters are a really clever idea. You've certainly achieved lots this month! I've attached my link above. Thanks for continuing to host this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've had a lovely month and relived some of the joy in my reflecting .......thank you for the inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Christine and fellow monthly reflectors!
    I can't quite belive that we are about to begin the sixth month of the year - where did it go? Although when I have a quick look at the monthly refections it becomes obvious that we are all quite a busy bunch!
    My blogging went west this month, along with housework, some gardening, all my crafting and reading for pleasure (Uni tutors arent very tolerant of not attempting to read their set texts I have noticed...)
    So thanks to these refections, I have been able to conciously see how much I have been working (too much) and make a deliberate decision to - well, Slow Down!!! Thank again Christine - Im off to check out everyone elses months with a very large cup of chocolate tea!!! - Kara xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the 'goat coats'! I love your photography. It always looks so professional. Have you done a course in photography or are you self taught?

    Yay! My post is done now all I have to do is try to work out the linky thing again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shucks, Linda, you know how to make a girl feel good! No photo course, just trial and error..with many, many errors.

      And you sussed out the linky - I'm proud of you! :)

      Delete
  17. Hi, I am back this month after a break last month :) I love reading all the journal entries and it wonderful to see more and more each month!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful to have you joining in, people! I've got my cushion near the fire and a big cup of hot choc and am settling in to read what your months have been like. 'See' you soon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for stopping by on my blog Christine. Thought I would tell you about the breakfast bake here so you won't miss it if I post it on my blog:)slice a few apples and layer in the bottom of a dish, sprinkle cinnamon over them. Beat one egg and a tablespoon of sugar, add 125ml milk and 250ml oats. You can sprinkle raisins or almonds or dried apricots over the apples and then spread the oat mixture on top and bake alongside dinner until just browned. Enjoy with a dollop of honey and yoghurt or as is at breakfast!
    I do so love the blessing of a daughter who enjoys the kitchen and being creative too! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recipe, Wendy! I'll definitely be giving this a go!! ;)

      Delete
  20. Hope it's not too late to post my Slow Living. I have been doing so much slow living that time ran away from me. I do love this encouragement to reflect and also see what other like-minded people have been doing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this idea. I've joined in this month. It's also been enjoyable reading what everyone else has been up to.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm also a bit late, like Cath time ran away from me. What a great month you have had. And love the goats yellow coats so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Slow cookers are great, aren't they? I don't have a functioning oven, which has forced me to become creative with it. Now, I'm not sure I want to get a new oven as I've got a breadmaker and cupcake maker as well - all I need in addition to the hob.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely to have you along, ladies! No need to rush with your posts - links can be added anytime during the month of June. Happy blog hopping! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello Christine, I'm joining in this month too! I really enjoy the whole Slow living thing and seeing what others are doing at their places, I have to say I love that chicken house you created this month, such a clever thing you are! I'd love to be more responsible for our chicken meat, I think we would need a lot of chooks though as chicken is a bit of a staple meat at our house. It's something i am going to look into though. Thanks for hosting this great connecting place! Have a great day, Julie:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm curious about the knitting in the round two at time. Telling myself not to get distracted with two sticks and just concentrate on the one at the moment though!
    This month I discovered Ravelry... I know a bit slow, and now I'm completely hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm a bit slow off the mark this month, but I've managed to do my slow living post. As always I've enjoyed catching up on what you've been doing and now will go and check out everyone elses activities.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely, Barbara..looking forward to popping over and seeing what you've been up to. :)

    Back at you, Julie! :)

    Ooh, Ravelry, Brdyie? You clever thing, there'll be no stopping you now! :) (Such a time vacuum over there..but such an enjoyable one!!)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh thanks for sharing re the ginger sponge, very much looking forward to trying that! I'm a half month blogger it would seem, best intentions and all that! Lovely to drop by again and read what you've been up to.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...