From the weekend..

An extra long weekend for us with no school on Friday for the younger two. Plus a whole lot of miserable weather, it was a perfect inside day. It managed to clear up a little over the next couple of days though - enough for us to venture outside briefly to play with our new pom-pom pets. A bit of spinning and a bit of knitting were what kept calling me, -  this, and short sightings of Eurovision as the middle one immersed herself in the unique viewing experience over the weekend. Go Sweden! 


Garlic was planted using cloves leftover from last year's harvest.
Baking took place..
Cinnamon buns {recipe here}
Have you tried knitting 'two at a time' on a circular needle? The clever spinners showed me how and it's a lot of fun - for both socks and mittens! When it's time to cast off, it  really is time to cast off..none of this turning around and knitting another identical sock/mitt business!
At the moment I'm muddling my way through creating a pair of mittens for the youngest..knitting them to fit as I go. I suppose I should really follow a pattern - it would no doubt be a whole lot easier! Quirky thumbs kind of appeal to me though..


Throw in a short sighting of sunshine and it was enough for a quick picnic on the go. Nothing beats coming home though to a warm fire, a hot cup of tea and a piece of cake (and a basket of knitting!) when you've been out all day. This is what makes my heart sing.

How was your weekend?

Comments

  1. I wanted to plant some garlic this year too. I was totally inspired by your braided garlic post some time back. I thought I had missed the boat for planting it. Do you think it's to late to plant garlic in Lismore Northern NSW?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, not sure. I always go by the old saying - 'plant garlic on the shortest day and harvest on the longest'. While not quite the winter solstice, I think it's close enough. I'd say give it a shot - it's such a good little crop that chugs away over winter, you really don't have much to lose aside from the cost of a few garlic bulbs. ;)

      Delete
    2. I've never heard that saying, well I think I will give it a go then. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I love that pathway photo through the green trees - it looks so serene. Sounds as though you had lots of fun family times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, africanaussie..it was very pretty in real life, I just couldn't walk on by and not take a piccie! :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a lovely weekend, Christine! You have an amazing garlic crop - we grew enough to eat for 6 months but needed to purchase some more to plant again this year. I'm hoping to grow more each year until we have enough to sell some.
    Could you explain a bit more about the two socks/mittens on circulars? I have half a sock done and know I will likely never make the other but it irks me none the less and if there's a better way, i'd love to know!!
    Have a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Six months is a good harvest, Evi! Our cloves are all starting to sprout now anyway so I suppose it's nature's way of telling me to put them back in the ground ;)

      The two socks ..yes a little hard to explain by typing but they were made by using a 'figure 8 cast on' and then just adding another 'figure 8 cast on' using a separate ball of wool for the second sock. The needles are pulled into the 'magic loop' position and knitted each round, one after the other..if that makes any sense. I would say hunt someone down (or search youtube) for someone in the know who could explain it in person (or a whole lot better than me!). Enjoy the week too. :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, that knitting two at a time... it's amazing. For a non-knitter, it looks impossiblly clever!

    (Fabulous photos, Christine!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, quite tangly at times that knitting, dixiebelle. The two balls of yarn keep needing to be swapped sides to prevent twisting together! Have a great week, Bec! :)

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of knitting 2 at a time. your yarn looks beautiful and I'm glad you were able to enjoy a bit of sunshine. we have had the driest May on record but thankfully we have been blessed with a little rain today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful you have had some rain, Kate. Sunshine here would be nice..it's been so cold this week! The two socks together are a bit of an effort to get the hang of at first.but worth it! ;)

      Delete
  6. Looks like a perfectly lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chez, hoping yours was enjoyable too!

      Delete
  7. Oooh, your garlic is going in late, Chris! I have sprouting cloves and I'd assumed it was too late to put them in, but now that I've seen you have, I might try as well! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking looking at your posts lately reminds me how much I love winter! Here I have the cosy thing happening but don't feel so productive as you! My hopes to get into the garden just haven't happens so far. Hoping to get out with the family soon, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts