Friday, May 11, 2012

Creative Friday - The Chinchilla Tunic

Hellooo! I don't suppose you remember by any chance, the sweater that I bought from the op-shop all this time ago? Well wouldn't you know it, I got off my backside this last week and finished off a top for the youngest with the wool from it!

I used a pattern in a knitting booklet that was given to me by my mum (I think it was from Better Homes and Gardens), the pattern is called Chinchilla Tunic.
Mind-numbingly simple..a good one for the evenings, the only alteration I made was to include a few rows of garter stitch at the bottom of the sleeves and the hem to stop the cardigan from curling in. If I was going to be a very clever cookie, I suppose I could've knitted a few garter stitches either side of the front edgings too..but of course didn't think of that until it was all sewn up! Oops! It knitted up quickly too (once I actually became determined to finish it!), using 7mm needles.

I used the size 10 measurements, shortening it slightly to follow the size 8 length. This is the first article of clothing I've knitted from re-purposed wool! It was a great feeling seeing it turn into something completely different! And useful!


Crochet four leaf clover courtesy of  'The Hulk'




Have you knitted a garment from re-purposed yarn? How did it make you feel? 



Linking up with Linda today at Natural Suburbia 


25 comments:

  1. Oh Christine that is so beautiful, you are an inspiration!!

    Thank you for linking to Creative Friday:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely tunic, your daughter seems to be enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super beautiful. I've got an old jersey that I need to repurpose into a scarf/cowl - very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It came out beautifully what a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a transformation! It's beautiful and practical and I bet she loves it. Clever thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fantastic! I love the little 4 leafed clover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice, and love the clover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sweater is beautiful - what a wonderful way to reuse yarn. I have never done that before, but I am sorely tempted to unravel a sweater I made for myself that I don't really like and make something new. It is just heartbreaking to take apart something that took so long to make!

    BTW, I am a newbie to your blog and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Lise! Great to have you here. :)

      Delete
  9. It's gorgeous! I'm enjoying watching your projects as I learn. I'm getting ideas and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's such a great stylish design christine..perfect for keeping warm but not long sleeved which can be inhibiting..and i love that you repurposed the wool..

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely design and it looks beautiful on your daughter. I crocheted a cardigan for myself from an op shop jumper. Dyed the wool and crocheted away loving every minute of it. It's seriously my favourite cardigan to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful, nice to see what you turned that yarn into. I generally felt opp shop woollen jumpers (that don't fit me:) but this has inspired me so!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful what a satisfying project! And what a transformation, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so clever! What a gorgeous knit!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so talented - love the colors, and the hulk four leaf clover is a nice final touch.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous wool, gorgeous tunic! One day I will relearn to knit!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! I so wish I could knit now!! Love the whole project but especially the hulk coloured 4 leaf clover - wonderful touch! - Kara

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for popping by, people! It's great to be able to share projects in this space. Happy knitting (crocheting, spinning, or *insert other* out there.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks lovely! I love the little flower embellishment. I'm afraid I don't have the patience to unravel an already knitted garment. A great way to recycle though.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful pattern, and gorgeous coloours.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...