Sunday, April 1, 2012

Slow Living 2012 - Month Three

Welcome to Month 3 of the 2012 Slow Living diary - a record to help me keep track of my personal achievements over the past month. For a detailed description of each category, click here.

Phew, what a busy month March turned out to be! It's great to look back and see just where our energy was spent during the month..

March 2012

{Nourish}
We've been enjoying apple pie with the last of our 2011 Fowlers' apples, cinnamon scrolls made by the 10yo..delish but went too fast, hot cross buns, homegrown raspberries in bread and butter pudding, snacks for spinning group..


...oh my - I think we need to lay off the desserts!! Or at least start exercising more ;)

{Prepare}
Bread and butter pickles were made using excess garden produce (hooray - we finally had enough cucumbers to pickle!). I hung up an enormous bunch of lemon verbena in our kitchen to dry - it was a gift from a dear friend and is divine when made into a tea.

{Reduce}
Homemade rosewater using petals from the garden. I also opted to purchase a  pre-loved spinning wheel over buying one new.


{Green}
I'm continuing to bake double batches of cakes/muffins to store in the freezer. I've also been utilising heat from the oven while it's on to bake a dessert or extra something for the freezer, eliminating the need to turn the oven on during the day. I also made my first batch of homemade dishwasher powder which I'm pretty happy with so far..as long as the dishes are rinsed first!


{Grow}
I've been thinking about winter crops and have managed to put in cavalo nero and broccoli. I still need to address the lettuce, snow pea and carrot situation though!
Harvesting: basil, tomatoes, eggplant, potatoes, cucumbers, squash and zucchini, nugget pumpkins and silverbeet.

Perennial leeks are popping up everywhere - after I thought they didn't survive the summer!

{Create}
 I have given the blog a slight revamping, made several dishcloths (which I'm loving using!), finished a lace knitted scarf (details soon), and immersed myself in fibre dyeing with food dyes.


{Enhance}
I sent a gift to a blog friend who is in the most wonderful stage right now.  I also helped out at my daughters' junior landcare session at school, looked after our neighbour's chooks while they were away and set up a car pool with another mum to cut down on after school activity shuttling. World's greatest shave fundraising took place with the 12yo holding a bake stand at a local fair and we also had a wonderful time at an Indian festival despite miserable weather. Last night saw us taking part in Earth Hour.


{Discover}
This month I've been finding so many new and interesting blogs (especially as a result of this monthly update - thankyoU!), reading Rhonda's book, researching cameras (and taking the plunge and buying one), studying dishcloth patterns, Elizabeth Zimmermann and the dyeing world!



{Enjoy}
The middle one's art exhibition from her weekly art class, my new/old spinning wheel, henna, receiving more than one egg a day(!), origami creations scattered everywhere by the 10yo and netball season re-commencing for the tweens..which is always nice when the weather is fine. 



Feel like joining in with your own post in this format? Just leave a link to your
Slow Living- Month 3 blog post below anytime during this month! 


(I am trying a new 'linky tool' this month..hopefully it will cut down on the amount of time spent copying and pasting link codes, if you are having a problem posting your link please let me know in the comments section or by sending me an email and I'll do it the old fashioned way - thanks!).

Looking forward to seeing what YOU have been up to this month! 



26 comments:

  1. I am totally 'slow' this month... so slow, I didn't even do my 'diary' post yet!! Back soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have had such a busy month, we did earth hour yesterday too. Finally planted my cavalo nero with buckets of compost today, they should be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just completed mine and here I was thinking that I had a very boring month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Added my link, linky tool works perfectly Christine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to have you joining in again, ladies :)

      Delete
  5. The new Linky Tool is great!

    I love the photo of the biscuits at the top. They look so delicious and remind me that I haven't had biscuits in ages.

    I love reading how you all are planning for winter while we are just embarking upon spring... It always causes me to stop and think. :-)

    Thank you for hosting. I am learning a lot. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it how they are called 'biscuits' in the US, Kathryn! We call them 'scones' here..delicious with jam and cream! So nice to have you participating again. :)

      Delete
  6. thanks so much for organizing this - I really enjoying doing it this month. Funnily enough, having this challenge just makes you more aware of what you are achieving in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, doesn't it, africanaussie? Good to look back on the positives, rather than the negatives.. :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Christine, I am delighted to have finally joined in with this idea. By the way I found the linky thing scary! And please help! Can I change the link title because it should read Greenhaven Good Life and I don't know how to change it! Now I'm up there looking silly for all the world to see!!! LOL

    I loved your daughter's art. Isn't it fantastic that she enjoys being so creative. And thank you for reminding me that I need to look up hot cross bun recipes. I might go and sit outside with my recipe books right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. I'm also intrigued by the perennial leek because I think I may have it in my garden. Mum gave me some plants that someone gave to her, but she couldn't remember what they were. Now I'll have to ask around so I know it's safe to eat them.

      Delete
  8. I've just added my link, it seems like ages since February's post! Thanks for continuing to host this project, Christine, I'm really enjoying discovering new blogs and learning about what others are doing.

    Your Hot Cross Buns look fantastic, and I'm really intrigued by the Perennial Leak, I haven't seen that before, but will read up on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, city garden/country garden! The perennial leeks are fantastic (if a little weedy)..they are so generous and are perfect for substituting in place of onions. I posted about them some time ago here:
      http://slowlivingessentials.blogspot.com.au/2010/07/perennial-leeks-most-generous-vegetable.html

      Great to have you along again!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for visiting me, love looking back on what we have done and feeling good about that rather than on what has not been done...there seems to be a never ending list of what has not been done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean, Wendy! :)

      Delete
  10. Oh flash linky tool! joining in again for this month. Loving the community feel of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes flash linky tool..I was slightly scared when adding the code in case it sucked up everyone's links into an internet black hole! I'm so pleased with how people are embracing this monthly review. :)

      Delete
  11. Yes - Love the linky tool! And I agree with Racheal - very much a community feel. I love having a look at what others have been up to. I often get inspired by comments or photos that I've seen on these blogs and then go off and give it a go myself! Happy Easter everyone! - Kara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Easter to you too, Kara! Enjoy the weekend (is the weather glorious where you are?)

      Delete
  12. and that sweet little package was very much appreciated :-) So sweet!
    Lots of lovely things happening in your last month Christine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Bryds. Hoping the babymoon was indeed a lovely one for you. xx

      Delete
  13. Lovely month for you ....looks very peaceful and I can almost smell the scones baking in the oven! I am loving all these monthly update posts from all the blogs that are doing it. It is a nice way to look at all the things we do and don't realise we are doing it too! I must get cracking on my post for March... photos are taken just need to get posting! Also loved your felted eggs,very clever!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing what everyone has been up to each month is such fun, Kim, not to mention very inspiring. It's great to look back on the positives and see what was actually achieved! It will be lovely to have you joining in again. :)

      Delete
  14. A lovely way to record your achievements for the month, its not till you write them down you can appreciate your steps to a slower, enjoyable life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Late I know, but you got me inspired. Thanks Christine!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...