Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Slow Living 2012 - Month Four

Welcome to Month 4 of the 2012 Slow Living diary - a record to help me keep track of my personal achievements over the past month. For a detailed description of each category, click here. 

April 2012
This month was a little slower paced than March. It it was nice to stop and enjoy some Autumn colour and soak up some quiet moments at home..

{Nourish} Make and bake as much as possible from scratch. Ditch overpackaged, overprocessed convenience foods and opt for 'real' food instead. Share favourite links/recipes/tips from the month here.
I've been using up every last scrap of leftovers from roast dinners - they make great pies, veggies and all.  It's amazing what a food processor can disguise! A new kibbled grain bread recipe shared by a veggie group friend, getting back into soups - a vegetable soup that covers three sittings for a family is what I like! Plus eggs, eggs, eggs and we're pretty happy in the eating department!




{Prepare}Stockpile and preserve. Freeze extra meals or excess garden/market produce. Bottle/can, dehydrate or pickle foods to enjoy when they are not in season.
During April, I bottled apples, cooked up three kilos of quince paste and started freezing soup again.

{Reduce} Cut down on household waste by re-using, re-purposing and repairing. A ladder into a strawberry planter? A sheet into a dress? Share ideas and project links here, allowing others to be inspired.
I dyed my favourite although faded pair of jeans..and then used the remaining dye for some unravelled jumper wool. Scrounged materials were also used for some hoopy garden beds.


{Green} Start (or continue!) using homemade cleaners, body products and basic herbal remedies. The options are endless, the savings huge and the health benefits enormous.
We finished our first jar of calendula ointment - need to make another. Homemade dishwasher powder is going well and lavender oil was used for mozzie bites (and to calm some frayed nerves?).

{Grow} plant/harvest. What's growing this month? What's being eaten from the garden? Herbs in a pot, sprouts on a windowsill or and entire fruit/vegetable garden -opt for what fits space and time constraints.
April saw me jumping back into the excitement that can be a food garden. Potatoes were planted, as were broad beans, carrots (please come up, please do!) and brassicas. Harvesting - tomatoes, silverbeet, leeks, carrots, the first (and last!) of the corn, eggplants. Sowed: broccoli - sprouting, cauliflower - all year round, carrots (all seasons and chantennay), onions - red, white and brown, lettuce - iceberg.



{Create} To fill a need or feed the soul. Create for ourselves or for others. Create something as simple as a handmade gift tag or something as extravagant as a fine knit shawl. Share project details and any new skills learnt here.
It's all about the knitting here lately! Throw in a few felted eggs as well and we're in business. ;) 




{Discover} Feed the mind by reading texts relevant to current interests. Trawl libraries, second hand shops or local book shops to find titles that fill the need. Share titles/authors of what is being read this month.
During an op shop jaunt I came across two fantastic books published in the 70's - one on photography the other on spinning.  They're really great reads - very old school. (The Basic Book of Photography - Tom Grimm and the spinning book? Well, I'm too lazy to go and get it from the craft room..I'll update with title tomorrow!). *Edit - The Woolcraft Book - Spinning, Dyeing, Weeaving by Constance Jackson and Judith Plowman*

{Enhance} Community: Possibilities include supporting local growers & producers, help out at a local school/kindergarten, barter or foodswap, joining a playgroup or forming a walking or craft group.
Netball season is back in full swing again - scoring, orange cutting, sweet distribution and cheering. Multiply this by three daughters and I feel well and truly immersed in the community. Fridays are still veggie group in my world and I have started going to a local camera club with my brother twice a month.

{Enjoy}  Life! Embrace moments with friends and family. Marking the seasons, celebrations and new arrivals are all cause for enjoyment. Share a moment to be remembered from the month here.
This month I crossed a significant emotional hurdle, spent time away over a weekend with family, enjoyed an Easter lunch, autumn colours and the return of warm fires.


As with previous months, you are more than welcome to join in with your own blog post in this format. Just leave your blog name and address in the box below any time during May and add a comment below so I can add you to my sidebar.


Be sure to check out what has been happening on other people's blogs too! Every month I see something new and interesting from these visits - thanks for making this so much fun!

24 comments:

  1. Would love to try the home made dishwasher powder! Sounds like you have enjoyed the changing season as much as we have too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is so inspirational! I look forward to every post, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always inspired by your posts and your beautiful photos ... and your purposeful life. Love that wooden spoon photo, what could be better than licking the spoon after baking?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy these posts Chris. I'm intrigued by the dyeing of your favourite faded jeans -- do you use a commercial dye or something else? I've not really dyed anything other than some wool so I'm a bit ignorant about what to use and how to wash a dyed garment. That's lot of questions isn't it. Maybe a post sometime??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Home-made dishwashing powder sounds great!! I love the picture of those carrots...Yumm. Ours have come up but not as many as I would have liked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Christine, I'm joining in this month too. I am very impressed with your dyed yarns, so beautiful! I have never tried dying my own yarn, might be something to have a go at soon! Have a great day! julie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, definitely time to start making big pots of soup again...! Sounds like you've had a great month Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Christine! You've had a great month! Love the photos too! Gotta make some soup - we had a yummy pumpkin one down at my Brother in laws over the weekend and now reading about yours - must be the beginning of soup season! I'll go and find the crock pot now! Cheers - kara

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always feel so inspired reading your posts. Thanks so much for doing this link up - it is great fun to go through the month and reflect on what has been achieved.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this little monthly connection time . Your house must feel all toasty and warm with all that knitting and soup making etc.. The year is sweeping past so quickly and it is nice to have an overall record of a month in the garden and home. Definitely a quiet , gentle month to write about for all of us I think, a time for reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi again Christine! I missed last month but am actually almost early this time round!! I find this time of year a bit tricky but am aiming to make May marvellous!!!! Having been nourished by all your creative endeavours while stagnating with my own, it's time for action! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it Christine, and thank you for creating this monthly journal!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A bit late with mine, but its there for anyone to read. Love the last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Christine I find your blog very inspiring I have only just come across the concept of slow living - I am giving it lots of thought and looking at ways it could change my current perception of life. I have written a little bit about slow living and added your link onto my blog - I hope that is ok Sue

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful and productive month, you've had, Chris! It must be a joy to be able to record all this down..

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful blog, thankyou x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely post again Christine. I also pray when I plant carrot seeds that something will appear after all that hard work. Hope you get a decent crop after you planting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Time has slipped away and I didn't get to comment on your unravelled jumper, I'm very curious to see what you make out of it! PLus I think It's great it's getting a new lease of life being dyed and knitted into something else. A wonderful month had by you dear girl :-)

    ...oh, and I'm in too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I love the idea of freezing soup. Will have to remember than when our fall comes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have just found your blog from cityhippyfarmgirl. I love the idea of Slow Living 2012. I grow my own food on my allotment, make my own bread, cook 'from scratch' and enjoy it all. I too love home-grown carrots. I managed to get my hands on a pack of harlequin carrots and can't wait for them to show their heads.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Joining in for April and loving the inspiration and sense of community this brings

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the inspiration to reflect on the month gone by. It helps to see that time was well used even if it doesn't always feel that way.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the photo of the carrots Christine..I have joined in again for the month

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...