Saturday, April 14, 2012

More yarnings..

So..I suppose this will be Part 2 of my little knitting posts this week. I was really glad to finish the lacy scarf I had been working on. The pattern is called Horseshoe Print...


Yet to be raveled. I found working with thin yarn to be quite enjoyable. That is, once the tension issues were addressed! And goodness me I don't know what hit me but I even blocked it! I'm really looking forward to wearing it..it's not too long as I only used a 50g ball of wool and finished when the wool ran out. A little brooch I have will hold it closed at the neck without any problems. 


Below are a couple of skeins that appeared this week. Well not entirely true..the one at the back was already spun, I was just sick of looking at it in it's creamy coloured natural state so I threw it in a pot of leftover dye from our Easter eggs! I really like this colour, from memory I think I used rose pink food dye with a couple of drops of blue. It was also a great feeling not to waste the leftover dye from the eggs! (Yarn is an alpaca/wool combination).


The yarn at the front is the alpaca that was dyed here. I took a little excursion to a most wonderful fibre-ey shop last week and couldn't resist some purple lurex to ply it with! It has still kept it's softness after spinning and plying which I'm so pleased about! I have a project in mind for the 12yo using this glitzy number. (Skein is around 280yds).

Finally, The Hulk has not exited the builiding just yet...another small ball was turned into a pair of fingerless mitts over the course of a couple of evenings. They were kind of made up as I went, knitted on straight needles and stitched up the side, leaving an opening for the thumb which was later crocheted in (rather ad-hoc!). A little picot edging up top finished them off.  The cabley pattern is called Eyelet Mock Cable Ribbing - very easy using just knit and purl stitches with a yarn round needle in some spots...



Did I say that I'm really loving this colour? Botched dye attempts are just the best!!


Horseshoe Lace Scarf
1-2 x 50g balls of lace weight/2 ply yarn (I used Moda Vera - Faith), quantity will depend on how long you want your scarf to be.
a pair of 4mm needles

Cast on 51sts. 
1st row (wrong side) - purl
2nd row - K1, *yf, k3, sl 1, k2tog, psso, k3, yf, k1; rep from 8 to end
3rd row - purl
4th row - P1, *k1, yf, k2, sl 1, k2tog, psso, k2, yf, k1, p1; rep from * to end
5th row - k1, *p9, k1; rep from * to end
6th row - P1, *k2, yf, k1, sl 1, k2tog, psso, k1, yf, k2, p1; rep from * to end
7th row - as 5th row
8th row - P1, *k3, yf, sl 1, k2tog, psso, yf, k3, p1; rep from * to end.

These 8 rows form pattern. Work in pattern until desired length for scarf is reached. Cast off and block to shape. 

21 comments:

  1. I love the fingerless mitts....We have kept the house so cold this winter that I took a pair of cheap dollar gloves and cut the tips off, just to keep my hands semi-warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scarf is just lovely Chris, it looks as light as a feather. Nice fingerless gloves too, I like the idea of not doing the finger knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea, Farmgirl Cyn! :)

      Rose, I think I'd be there for an eternity if I even thought about attempting finger knitting! ;)

      Delete
  3. you have been such an insperation to me this week, I even had to get out that ball of wool I got from the op shop to make that beanie I had dreamed of. I cant knit but I can crochet, slowly, doing one line and then stoping to let my fingers recover, than another line ect but I got it finished. And now am feeling so happy with myself, and all the kids have put in their orders. I so love the gloves, do you have/know of any patterns for a pair done with crochet??
    thanks Dianne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that colour too. I also love the gloves. The colour of thsoe two skeins is beautiful. That lace scarf seems impossibly intricate and dare I say it... clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, my best advice would be to try ravelry, Dianne, there are loads of patterns over there both for free and to purchase. You're sure to find just what you're looking for.. (I made these ones: http://qualitycrochet4fun.blogspot.com.au/2008/02/elegant-wrist-warmers-materials2-3.html and really like them).

      As always, you're too kind, dixiebelle!

      Delete
    2. thankyou, shall have a look and see what I can find.
      Dianne

      Delete
  5. I really love the color of fingerless mitts! It is my favorite color of all! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How clever are you? I love the colours of the spun skeins.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that scarf! the colour is just amazing, purple always makes me happy and the laciness is stunning. Oh i wish i could knit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marina and Deb! This colour was a lovely surprise.

      Yep, purple is a feel good colour, Racheal. Especially different shades of purple merging together. ;)

      Delete
  8. Oh I wish you lived closer! I would love someone to show me how to knit other than straight down, (I'm no good at following patterns I need someone to physically show me.) So many wonderful things to knit and crochet. The fingerless gloves are very cool... makes you want to dance :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely knitting projects. I've been knitting like crazy too, the cooler weather helps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christine! Wow! I love your knitting! The scarf is heavenly and the yarn you have dyed is gorgeous! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryds, if you were around the corner from me we would have the knitting needles click-clacking at every available opportunity! Sometimes my head spins with all the cool patterns out there I want to try..so many to choose from! :)

      Aha, yes it must be that cool weather, Chez. I'm itching to make a pair of socks now..too many pairs with holes in them. ;)

      Thank you Faeryfay, this means a lot to me coming from you. xx

      Delete
  11. I love both the scarf and the gloves! I have to laugh though. I had just decided I was a knitting expert after my ONE success and then you throw around complicaed terms like 'blocking' and 'yarn round needle'. A little more to learn yet, it seems. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the colours..my daughter really loves your gloves and has requested me to knit some similiar :)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, socks DO make you an expert!! I take my hat off to you for this. Nothing to be afraid of regarding blocking - it's just washing the garment and laying it flat to dry..pinning it if needed. Oh, and could you tell it was actually the first time I had ever blocked anything?? ;) Too funny! x

      Aw, that's so sweet, Jodi. She'll have the warmest mitts in town, I'm sure!

      Delete
  13. beautiful scarf, so delicate....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Positively gorgeous Christine you clever thing. Just LOVE the colours and thanks for sharing your pattern. I've been so inspired by your 'yarnings' and as I haven't had a chance to get the wheel out yet decided to order some lovely fibres from Ecoyarns including one plain cream skein to dye at my whim!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Liz..I'm really looking forward to wearing it - maybe this weekend. :)

    Ordering is nearly as much fun as the spinning, Serendipity! What fun to get some yummy packages in the mail..enjoy that dyeing. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...