Thursday, April 12, 2012

Apple-ing

$3/kg. From front -Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Fuji.

Yes, please!
hmm, no thanks.. 


After running a couple of errands yesterday morning we had a bit of time up our sleeve before heading home and so decided to make a stop at our current favourite pick-your-own farm (you may remember our strawberry excursion there earlier this year). The apples are in full swing at the moment and we could choose from three different varieties to pick. I love seeing those girls of mine get such delight from picking fruit! They would never get this excited about apples in the shops. I love how the excitement comes home with us too..and they munch on apples just because they are out on the table..and they happened to harvest them with their own hands.

We came home with a bulging bag of Fujis and two more of Granny Smiths. It's a good thing I haven't completely packed away the Fowlers preserving kit yet..it's just inched it's way slowly towards the cupboard in hubby's study..slowly. Easily retrieved though! The Fuji's are great for eating and the Granny Smiths will be going straight into jars.

Are you picking fruit? Or preserving some perhaps?

19 comments:

  1. Nothing better than crisp apples straight from the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look so good, I got a big box from Gisborne market again. We'll have to have another apple day when the kids go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'd love too! That sounds like fun. :)

      Delete
  3. Ah, picking your own is the best for sure! Our 2nd year apple trees are just beginning to bud here :)
    -Jaime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apple blossom would have to be one of my favourites, Jaime..enjoy!

      Delete
  4. I can actually SMELL apples while looking at your photos! My mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could send some to you I would, quinn! :)

      Delete
  5. I would love to be able to do that, but apples don't grow in our area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame, Deanne. You probably have loads of other fruit to choose from? :)

      Delete
  6. There is nothing better than an apple straight from the tree, no cold storage floury-ness and no wax! I'm envious to say the least.

    As for preserving, it's been all about figs here lately, but I've just been given a big bag of yellow grapefruit. I adore ruby grapefruit, but the yellow kind aren't too bad either. I'm thinking a grapefruit and orange marmalade. I also think I'll have a final few cucumbers to make some bread and butter cucumbers before the plants come out of the garden.

    Hope you and your girls are enjoying the last days of the school holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum, yum, yum, it all sounds delicious, Barbara! I'm thinking of investing in a fig tree..must make sure they grow in our area first though ;) Your marmalade sounds lovely. x

      Delete
  7. oh yum! I think picking your own adds an extra dimension to the taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be onto something, africanaussie - they seem to be disappearing fast. ;)

      Delete
  8. I've just googled pick your own in NSW, I'm desperate for apples off the tree! Thanks for the lovely prompt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Inner Pickle. It's a great day out with edibles at the end..a good kid pleaser. :)

      Delete
  9. I can't wait for the new season apples to reach our markets. I plan on bottling and freezing a lot of apple sauce this year for my stockpile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the apples look so yummy in your photos, look so alive compared to the current shop ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love apple picking, looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...