Monday, February 20, 2012

From the weekend - Seymour Alternative Farming Expo

Over the weekend, we took a drive over to Seymour to visit the Alternative Farming Expo. I had never been and was curious to go. With an extreme case of whiney tween syndrome and hot, sweaty weather to deal with, there was still plenty to see...in amongst the abundance of food vacuum sealers and kitchen gadgets, that is!

I could've watched this wood carving for hours! This carver was one of about four on the go at once..

Inside the craft pavilion I was slightly excited to see a seasoned spinner performing her skill on the exact same wheel that I have! A Sheridan MacArthur (although she was much faster than me! Much faster!!).

And just around the corner, a weaver busy in action. This was the first time I had ever seen weaving being done in person.

My Sister in Law gave me a really sweet book for my birthday recently called The Forgotten Crafts. In it was a tale about a broom maker which I found fascinating, so as you can imagine, it was a thrill to see this craft being demonstrated on the day..



The day would not have been complete without a visit to the alpaca stand (and a pat!)..

So sweet!

..with maybe a purchase or two.. ;)

I was really hoping to get to the apiarist stand and also The Italian Gardener for some vegetable seeds. Unfortunately I just couldn't find them! Oh well, perhaps next year..


14 comments:

  1. Oh! I didn't get a chance to go this year. I loved it last year and went two days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds like a wonderful place - I bet those brooms work a treat. what are you going to do with that lovely wool?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine, I went too! I took the kids thinking they would enjoy it. Big mistake! I got to see nothing, although I visited the spinners and weavers too. I spent my day chasing ice-cream, food and toilets, then gave up in frustration and went home!

    A better day on Sunday, I took only Miss Eight with me to the Sustainable Living Festival. It was fantastic! She was amazing and let me look at everything - a few years makes such a difference to kids behaviour when they are out and about! I plan to post about the festival as soon as I get a chance. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Did you get the name of the broom man coz that was one thing I really wanted to check out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hazel, I think it was your post last year that got me curious to go!

      I'm hoping to spin it up, africanaussie..

      Ah, no way, Linda! Very similar day indeed..hubby spent about an hour chasing peacock feathers to appeal to the small people's moods, hmmm! If I went again, the smaller people would definitely have something else on the calender for that day. The SLF does sound great, looking forward to reading about it. Unfortunately I didn't get the name of the broom man. :(

      Delete
  4. That looks very similar to our Tocal Small Farms Field Day which they hold annually at the local Ag. college. Always a great couple of days. Love the look at the chain saw sculpture WOW. The fleece looks lovely. I hope to get some in May when we go to the field days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a great time. The spinning and weaving would have caught my interests, have wanted a weaving loom for the longest time. My dream as a child was to live on a mountain herding sheep. To shear and spin their fleece and then when winter came to weave it into carpets. Maybe that can be my retirement plan. LOL. Cheers, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the picture of the alpacas, especially the one with radar ears :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be great to go to this expo over a couple of days, Kate - there is a lot to see and some of the lectures in the program looked really interesting too! It's such a treat to buy 'fancy' fleece, isn't it!

      The weaving was totally absorbing, Deb - I'm sure you'd be a natural. Hold on to that dream :)

      Particularly radar-ish aren't they quinn! :D

      Delete
  7. Oh wow! What a fabulous Expo! And to find the spinners! I love the brooms too! Very, very cool!:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dixiebelle and Faeryfay. Those handcrafts were the highlight of the day, Faeryfay :)

      Delete
  8. Oh wow how awesome is that wooden sculpture, gosh there are some amazingly talented people out there.. Brooms, I could go into wonderfully, wicked spasms over those and if I could I would buy one in a heart beat... Looks like you had a totally wonderful expo experience..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow I have seen expo's like this on blogs based in America but must admit I hadn't known of any Australian types. Thanks for sharing, looks like a wonderful day out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The wood sculpting was out of this world, Wendy! I wish I could've taken pics of everything! Those brooms are particularly witchy and would make a fine addition to ones home ;)

    It was a good day Stacey, whiney kids, hot weather, missing seed stand and all!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...