Old fashioned orange squash

Real orange squash!
The mysterious man in a red suit gifted our household a soda stream machine this Christmas. It's a big hit with the tweens as you might well imagine and they are very much enjoying making up fizzy drinks flavoured with sickly sweet concoctions that would be enough to turn any health conscious person's stomach to queasiness.

Not generally a household that consumes fizzy drinks, considering them a right rare treat, I figure this is a unique way that they can still get a treat 'fix' every now and then, reducing packaging, energy and food miles associated with bought soft drinks at the same time. The soda making device carbonates ordinary household tap water to be consumed as is or flavoured. Of course, the sickly sweet concentrate  bottles are available to 'complete' the process but what got me curious was a way of making our own healthier versions of the syrups, using 'real' ingredients and sweetened with real sugar rather than synthetic substitutes.


In one of my old preserving books I came across a recipe for squash which looked fairly simple:

6 smallish oranges (or four large)
sugar to measure - 1 cup to every cup of juice
2 cups water
15g citric acid

Nothing too scary there! I got to work peeling six oranges and removing the white pith. The thin outer skin was then placed into the food processor along with the flesh, seeds removed and 2 cups of water. Actually, I processed the ingredients in two batches as my little food processor doesn't have a super large capacity.

It was whizzed and whizzed...and whizzed again until I was absolutely satisfied that the mixture wasn't going to get any finer.


The fleshy, liquidy pulp was then passed through a sieve into a bowl to remove most of the solids. 


The strained juice was placed into a jug with a couple of scoops of pulp for good measure (it is squash we're making, after all!). To every cup of juice, one cup of sugar was added and stirred occasionally until dissolved. This took around 10-15 minutes. The citric acid (15g), was then added to the syrup and stirred well.


The thick, sweetened syrup was then funneled into clean jars and sealed and then sterilized in the Fowlers Vacola.


I've found having the fowlers outside on a bench is fantastic for not heating up the kitchen and also not clogging up space in the kitchen.


I ended up with 1.5 litres of good, old fashioned orange squash concentrate.

To use, simply add a small amount of the syrup to an empty glass and top up with either sparkling water (home fizzed!) or still water.


Add ice cubes if it's unbearably hot and you're parched beyond belief. Or add them even if you're not!

Cheers!

The bottles of squash concentrate should last for 12(+)  months in the pantry after the sterilising process. Once opened, store the bottles in the fridge - they won't last long!

Next up on my beverage agenda has got to be Lemon Squash...!


(soda stream info)

Comments

  1. Wow! Yum! We've been making lemon cordial, not preserved because it's all gone within a couple of weeks. A very similar recipe and yes it would be lovely with bubbles on a hot day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How refreshing that sounds! Even here and now, where the woodstove is working round the clock, and snow is beginning to fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that does look delicious. I may go is search of old drink recipes in some of my old cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made lemon and mint cordial a while ago from suburban tomato's blog. I was wishing that I had lemons to make it again... but I DO have oranges. (And a soda stream!)
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, what a great idea! My poor children are deprived of soft drinks too and would surely enjoy a soda stream machine with healthier 'flavourings'. Next Christmas maybe....!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love our soda stream. Most of the time we just use it to make soda water.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soda Stream for Christmas! Cool! Your orange cordial sounds very thirst quenching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got a soda stream for my birthday last year and it has been given a right working out ever since - for both plain bubbly water or sweet fizzy drinks in a household where we don't buy soft drink. I have also started making my own cordials, though given that I don't make huge quantities and it doesn't last too long I don't bother adding the citric acid. My usual recipe is 500g sugar, 500-700ml water and the juice of about 6 citrus fruits (any combination, but adding blood orange seems to add extra yumminess to any batch). I make a sugar syrup by dissolving the sugar and water, then cool it before adding the juice. Then store it in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks very thirst quenching! Thank you for sharing. Will definitely try this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It really makes you wonder why they have such a long list of ingredients on a soft drink bottle when you have such a simple list of ingredients in yours.Will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that sounds beautiful and a far better option to go with the fizz!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bubbles are a big hit, Linda! I can imagine your cordial not lasting long at all ;)

    It's really refreshing and very yummy, cinderella!

    Woodstoves and snow sounds delightful, quinn.

    Old cookbooks are so much fun to search through for these kinds of recipes, Becky! Have fun.

    Lemon and mint? Yummmm, frogdancer!!

    So far, so good, Evi. It's a fun treat to have around..

    Yep, a big fan of the soda water too, Bruisemouse. So refreshing on a hot day..

    Ha, thanks, Celia, yes, thirst quenching it certainly is.

    Sounds delicious, thenewgoodlife. There seem to be several different ways to make cordial..

    Great, Wyoming Crane! Enjoy :)

    I know, Kim, it's very scary. I hate to think what it does to peoples insides!

    The fizz is where it's all at, Kirsty. We do love that fizz!

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice idea.. thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck with the shop, Christine. The labels look wonderful. Your craftwork is fabulous, I'm sure you'll have a lot of orders. xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts