Saturday, December 3, 2011

Primary School Fete

It was time, once again for our girls' primary school biennial fete. This is the first fete post on my blog as the last fete was held before the blog was started. It is a fun affair with something on offer for the whole family. Attractions and rides are always popular as is the baking stall. There is a trash'n'treasure stall for the bargain hunters and secondhand book sale for people like myself to take delight in and rummage through. Face painting, temporary body art and badgemaking always seem to be on the agenda too! This year there were kids' performances scheduled into the afternoon/evening time slot as well which they had been rehearsing very hard for. This extra item on the agenda made for quite a chaotic event!

In addition to enjoying all of this, our Friday Veggie Group had volunteered to take on the running of the plant stall, crafts and pizza making! Busy, busy, busy, I have to say! But all in a good way and it was such a relief to wake up yesterday morning and see that the weather was fine and looked like it would stay so for the rest of the day- after all of the crazy, rainy weather we've had here the past week or two!

Consortium members - well done ladies!
My humble offerings for the plant stall - Herbs with recipe cards, wrapped in op-shopped hessian, tied up with string. 
Bunting painted by grade 3 and 4 students in a Junior Landcare session.
The woodfired oven was lit around 11am and was well and truly eyebrow-burningly hot by the start of the fete at 4pm! (In fact, can I say  it was actually hot enough just a couple of hours after lighting, enabling us to have a sneaky 'test' lunch? All for quality control, of course!). 

The offerings were delicious, made all the easier to prepare by using individual pita breads.
1000 times better than a sausage in bread, wouldn't you say?  They sold amazingly fast and were extremely popular.

Quiet craft activities away from the hustle and bustle of the noisy attractions. Preschoolers, visitors and newcomers could also gain appreciation for what is on offer in the environmental studies at the school.

The Bowerbird, hard at work as always. Here, preparing the garland table with natural materials - the activity was  a great success! The school is so very lucky to have my friend Kirsty in charge of running Junior Landcare!


Once again, well done Friday Veggie Group - you amaze me with your enthusiasm and organisation!

So what's on for today? I hope to plant out the plants I came home with and maybe curl up on the couch and peruse the books that were calling to me...

Have an enjoyable Saturday out there!

20 comments:

  1. Oh that fete sounds lovely.... I love the special touch your group added to it too! I am going to have the first 'real ' gardening day out there in about 2 weeks , so I am off to '
    the jungle ' with a machete...have a lovely day with your books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your herbs in their colorful wrappings look lovely! I'd like one of each, please :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, your little school can hobnob with the best as Jamie Oliver cooked a delicious looking pie in a wood fired oven on his latest TV show last night! Your pizzas look just as mouth watering :). Great bunting and great 'stalls' and what a wonderful array of plants. Your 'dressed' herb pots with the recipe cards are a great idea. Schools around here don't seem to have fetes anymore and that is sad as I remember having such a good time at them.
    Cheers,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I echo Quinn and Stitchin' Time: your potted herbs are adorable! And the pizza -- wow, just wow. Congrats on a successful and lovely fete! -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow that looks like an amazing fete! I wish they were all like that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Sounds busy and great! Your offerings look fantastic and I'm impressed that you found that hessian at an op shop. It looks like a wonderful community fete.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fete looks like a lot of fun. I love finding vintage treasures and books. In fact, found an interesting book from 1936 called "Magic Oven Cleaning..full of recipes for an oven with a temperature-control dial. I need to do some research, but I'm thinking it was one of the first oven-ranges that had regulated temperature.

    In any case, I think your photos are great and it looks like there was lots of fun had by everyone :) Have a great weekend. Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great looking community fete...they are hard to find now! Your herbs are so well presented and such a great idea. Hope you raised lots of money!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic day :) Love everything ~ especially your herbs - they look so healthy and well presented...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic, your herbs looked fantastic, such attention to detail, and the pizza looked delish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like you all had a wonderful productive day. I'm glad the weather was good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your girls school. It seems like such a great green community minded place. (and I agree, pizzas are sooo much more exciting than a snag on some sliced white bread.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I love the plants with hessian and recipes! Fabulous idea! What a great fete!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could go a piece of that pizza right now! How yummy does that look! The fete looked awesome and such luck to have good weather.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Christine, I do talks around the place about permaculture, local food, growing your own etc and I'd love to include something about your Friday Vegie Group. So many people are struggling or overwhelmed with their own backyard and would love some help and that idea sounds like a perfect solution.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now I'm wondering what books you found? The upside to being at Middle Gully all day was I didn't spend much money on anything except plants. I did find some great kids books for 20c each at the end of the day - mighth wrap up a few for xmas. It was a lovely fete - you were the pizza queen. I think the school is pretty lucky to have you too. Those hessian wrapped plants are the bees knees.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Humble offerings I think not! Look at thos lovely labels you made and all wrapped in hessian. I would have been very excited to find thos on offer. it looks like a great day was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for popping by all - it was a lot of fun but also quite tiring, too! I still need to plant those plants, too!

    Sonya, no problem with the mention..that's why we started the blog - in case others were interested in starting up their own such group. It's a wonderful concept that has proven to work well for 5 years now. We are up to about 15 women...eek! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely school fete! The plants look so lovely and the pizzas look very yummy. It looks like a lovely community with such crafty and hard working parents.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, kimbamel..they're a great bunch of people. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...