Tuesday, November 15, 2011

me-do-dats: analogue giving

Good morning!

I have something exciting to share with you today. Earlier in the week I had an email from Jeannet Leendertse, the creator of a unique new gift giving concept. After having a look at her website I just knew I had to share it here! I'll let Jeannet explain as she will do a much better job at it than I:





me-do-dats: analog giving

When I stumbled on Christine's lovely Slow Living Essentials blog, I knew I had to tell Christine about the project I've been working on: a reusable traveling gift card that gives kindness instead of stuff. A gift card that I believe suits the "slow living spirit."

I am a Dutch graphic designer who moved to the US more than twenty years ago. After my second son was born, I decided to establish my own business, so I could work from home. I design books and covers, which I love. What can be better than designing an package that transfers ideas and knowledge; an object that people can go back to, and often hang on to for a long time!

When I am not designing books I read. Luckily the town library is just a block away. Do you remember when library books had a tag in the front, where it was stamped when you took a book out? I miss that tag! It gave this nice sense that this very book had traveled, had added something to the life of people other than you. There are certainly many advantages to our life being increasingly digitized, but I miss a sense of a more physical connection at times, as I think many of us do. 

For my last birthday, my good friend Rayna gave me a simple token, to carry with me, and a card that said: "lunch on me at the Blue Moon", the favorite local hangout. It was such a simple and lovely present. 

All of this somehow came together, when I imagined how nice it would be if we  could stay away from plastic gift cards this upcoming holiday season; if we could start giving a "real" gift: the gift of time.

This is how me-do-dats came about, as in: "let me-do-dat for you". They are sustainable bamboo cards, that have a nice deed on them, like: "get you groceries", or "feed your cat". They come in a little burlap bag and can be used over and over again. A travel log, on which the name of the each giver is recorded, is included.

I have made prototypes and am now trying to actually produce these cards, through Kickstarter.com. You can order an existing card, or make your very own, and by doing so help me-do-dats production get off the ground.

You can find all about this project (including a video) at me-do-dat.com and http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1771548918/me-do-dat-analog-giving

If you believe getting me-do-dats out in the world is a good idea, please "like" the project. If you can, please "back" it, by donating as little as $1.00 or order a me-do-dat as your next gift to someone. Worldwide shipping is free!

(Kickstarter is an all or nothing proposition. If the project is not fully funded by the end of its running time, the project does not happen, and all backers get a guaranteed full refund.)

Feel free to contact me, if you want to connect, or have any questions about this project. 

Thank you so much, Christine, for letting me explain this project on your blog, and thank you, kind blog readers, for your time and help!

Warm regards,

Jeannet 




Thanks, Jeannet! I really believe you have a wonderful idea that will hopefully take gift giving to a whole new level. I just want to let anyone out there reading know that I am not being paid for this post, either in money or products. I really want to help Jeannet reach her goal and hopefully by writing this post, it will help spread the word.


Please click on the links Jeannet has provided to take you to her website and kickstart page where you will find information on how to back her project and as mentioned, please take a moment to Like the project. The video on the website sums up the whole concept beautifully - do take a look. I love the idea that the gift can be 'payed forward' and has a log of previous gift recipients. Brilliant! 

I wish you all the best with your venture, Jeannet.

Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

  1. That is brilliant, I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fabulous! And the design is simply perfect. I suspect that I'll be contacting you soon to order a few ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for your kind comments! Please spread the word and support the Kickstarter project in any way you can! I cannot do this without you!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...