The Week's Eats..

It's been a bit of a crazy ol'e week. Family commitments, hospital trips, bickering kids, rainy gusty weather, the windup of Junior Landcare for this term, a veggie group day that saw no veggie patch action due to the weather (one of only about 3 cases in ALL time!) but still plenty of morning tea and chats plus 'Oma' coming to stay.

The kids love it when my mum, 'Oma', comes to stay. They hound her with detailed descriptions of incidents that happened that week at school, request her presence in playing games (which are sometimes accepted, other times declined), invite her to sit through their latest made up dance routine in the 'front room' (it's cold out there..but there IS space to shake one's booty), and generally just smother her with love.

We all enjoy it when Oma is here and are sad to see her go again.

Throughout the crazy week however, I thought it might be fun to do a posting on the Week's Eats. A round up of all the things that made me smile (or lay sloth like on the couch while err.. digesting) from the kitchen this week. Care to join me?

First up, a thoughtful gift from our neighbours to say thanks for looking after their hens while they were away. Chocolate with native flavours - intriguing.

And addictive. Very addictive!

A family gathering saw my old time favourite pudding being made. Originally it started life out as a recipe for waffle pudding but it was adapted it to a bread and butter one as waffles were never easily available for us.

White chocolate and raspberry bread and butter pudding
This could change however, with the recent addition of the waffle maker .
The pudding is a must  if you have a soft spot for white chocolate in all it's meltingly gooey goodness.

The white chocolate love affair continued with these..
Cranberry & white chocolate cookies
Inspired by a recent sighting of Bill Granger's so named cookies and a purchase of some dried cranberries. (Recipe at bottom of page).

We gobbled up the last of Kirsty's daughter's Cumquat Marmalade.
Cumquat marmalade on hot LSA sourdough toast.
Delicious! She's only 10 you know! I should've taken steps to hide the jar from hubby because it didn't last long at all once he came across it.

With winter reappearing, the slow cooker was once again retrieved from the hidden depths of the cupboard.

Silverside/Corned Beef, slow cooked in onion, bay, peppercorn, lemon, brown sugar and a splash of malt vinegar (and water). 
I have many a childhood memory eating the 'pink meat'!

The 7yo had borrowed a 'comet' reader (magazine) earlier in the week that had sequential shots on how to go about preparing a banana split. As you can guess, she asked me every single day 'when could she make some banana splits for the family?'


She made them last night. They went down very well indeed! Oma and I were in fits of laughter at her ingenious plating up attempt - she had taken the long porcelain butter dish and used the base for one 'plate' and the rectangular butter cover, upturned to hold another banan split!  I would never have thought of this and would've probably just tried stuffing them into a bowl that was sadly the wrong shape and size to accommodate them!

What a clever cookie.

Sunday often sees the tweens' favourite weekend lunch - corn fritters. I'm a little over them but they can't seem to get enough so I happily make them in the hopes of a harmonious meal time.

Corn fritter 'waffles'
This time they were made in the waffle maker! Do try savoury fillings in yours if you have one, they come out crispy and morish, although they might just take a little longer to cook than regular waffles. I am very much looking forward to trying potato rostis in here too - imagine the salty, potato-iness, hashbrowney-ness..ahh, yes please.

Yesterday, Oma and I walked in the door and were greeted with the smell of biscuits baking. The 11yo had been at it again..

With no complaints from us. Her old standby half a tin of condensed milk cookie recipe (so she can sneakily consume the remaining half at her leisure, remember?).

Lastly, an orange cake.  A quick Lady Flo fall back recipe for the girls to take with them to catch up with some old school friends as well as an excuse to not let the squidgy oranges in the fruit bowl go to waste..

Lady Flo's Orange Cake
The icing is always the best part, in my humble opinion.

We also had a long awaited green chicken curry with snow peas from the garden that didn't manage to sit still long enough for a photo as well as a slow cooked chicken casserole with leek, bacon, mushies and garden herbs with Oma last night. We don't eat just sweet things throughout the week, you know!

But I do think I need to up the exercise..that is after I finish off the last slice of orange cake that is looking all sad and lonely.

What have you been enjoying eating this past week?



White Chocolate and Cranberry Cookies
(Inspired by Bill Granger's version)

Makes 2 dozen
150g (5 1/2 oz) unsalted butter
165g (3/4 cup) soft brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
125g (1 cup) plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup shredded coconut (or dessicated)
                                                       1 cup dried cranberries
                                                       1 cup white chocolate chunks

Preheat oven to 180c (175c fan-forced). Line two baking trays with parchment paper.
In a small bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg, followed by the vanilla extract. Remove the beaters and add the sifted flour and baking powder, followed by the remainder of the dry ingredients. Mix well with a large metal spoon. Drop tablespoon sized balls of mixture onto the baking trays, allowing room for spreading. Flatten each ball with a fork dipped in flour.

Bake for around 15 minutes, until pale golden brown. Allow to cool on trays for 10 minutes or so before removing onto wire racks to cool completely before storing.


Comments

  1. Gosh, can you adopt me? Last night I made a seventies classic, the pineapple upside down cake, and it was really good though I restrained myself and didn't add the glace cherries. Other than that I have cooked the lunchbox madeira cake and hubby made pizza. But I still want to beg at your table! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an amazing lot of delicious goodies..you have been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all look delicious! Some great ideas and lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have everything but the white chocolate... I have to make those cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been enjoying some lovely goodies. I do love homemade cooking and I love the sound of those white chocolate and cranberry biscuits, I might give them a try, thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of cooking going on at your house, more than at mine :)

    Love the look of your food, it all looks super yum!

    I have been a bit lazy lately with not much cooking going on as far as cakes etc go. Trouble is when I make them, I eat them...Over the lips and on to the hips and all that :)

    I will make some of those cookies though, have added cranberries to my shopping list. Thank you for the recipe.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cooking fiesta, yummmmm. Gosh that haily Friday and blustery wet days are a bit much. Bickering inducing weather. Nice to see the garden wet but does it have to be soooo cold. Pleased the middle one wanted a games day for his birthday. you are making me think I need another kitchen gadget.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought Jamie Olivers 30min meals book last week, so I have been trying some new recipies from that. His Chimslaw salad was nice, although his quantities would feed and army. Green Chicken Curry, I've made a nicer one from a different recipie.Pregnant Joules pasta, not bad, but I'll tweek it next time and improve it. So it's been an experimental week for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a feast!! We've been baking carrot cake, confiting duck, and playing with chocolate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of goodies happening at your place!
    I've made Vietnamese rice paper rolls, parfait, pizza, and the ever present bread. I think tonight will be some sort of eggplanty goodness- horraay! say the boys...I'll have to be sneaky.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all your cooking ideas and also the fact that you have the kids cooking. We do the same at our house...I really hope that they can cook beautiful food by the time they leave home unlike me who couldn't cook a boiled egg!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. dear christine
    wow that looks soooooooooooooooo good!!!
    i love your cookies idea!!!!
    thank you for the recipe.
    I hope you are okay.
    Have a wonderful week,
    love regina

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohh potatoes in the waffle maker ... great idea!!! thanks for that one Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The condensed milk biscuits were/are a big hit. My favourite choc chip cookies to date. Found out why we had 3/4 of a tin of condensed milk in the fridge to use up - other half opened it just for spooning into his mouth! He also confessed to eating 6 or so biscuits while we were at cubs last night!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts