Sunday, July 24, 2011

Potato Bread

Have you ever eaten potato bread? Bread made with potato included in the dough somehow..? I have taken delight in making a potato and rosmeary bread in the past which includes a high percentage of mashed potatoes in the dough. This day however, I didn't want to play with big quantities of mashed potatoes, just a small amount that was leftover from dinner the night before...along with the half litre of potato water that the spuds were cooked in.


Cooking with potato water can add a whole other dimension to your loaf..so I have discovered! This particular loaf was fluffy and moist, almost verging on the highly processed packaged white bread from the supermarkets  *gasp* that is forbidden in our house and that kids just love to ....well, love.

Our humble loaf here did not include any of those nasties that are the standard offerings in such mass produced, supermarket white loaves. Just flour, potatoes, water and salt. It's good enough for me, and it's good enough for our kids, oh yes!

Save the cooking water from boiled potatoes to make a fluffy, moist loaf with high kid appeal.  This one's definitely made it to the lunchboxes, thank goodness for that!

Potato Bread
makes 2 loaves
400g sourdough starter, active and bubbling
1 kg flour, your choice (I used a mix of strong white and organic white)
550g potato water, the leftover cooled water that has been used to boil potatoes
100g (1/2 cup) cold mashed potatoes
2  1/2 tsp salt

Combine dough ingredients by mixing sourdough starter and potato water together. Add flour and mashed potatoes and mix well by hand or machine. Delay addition of salt. Prove over several hours (this day I left it out on the bench virtually all day - 5 hours, while I was caught up doing other things) with gentle folds each hour or so or when I remembered. Shape into two loaves and allow to rise again for another few hours (3-4), until nearly doubled in size. Mist lightly with water spray and bake in a preheated 220c oven for 20 minutes, rotating loaves if needed and baking for a further 30-40 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

The potato is not noticeable at all in this bread, just the moistness and fluffliness that it provides, which makes it a satisfying loaf to make; one, because it is utilising a waste ingredient from the kitchen (potato water which is usually discarded) and two, because it appeals to even the fussiest eater..at least in our family! Enjoy.

20 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to try this! Do you think it will work with a yeast base? My wholemeal-y breads don't tempt the tastebuds of my other half so I will try anything that may resemble that horrid supermarket white stuff! ~From a plant

    ReplyDelete
  2. thelittleblackcowblogJuly 24, 2011 at 4:06 PM

    That looks delicious, Christine. I have to ask, what are you cooking your lovely coiled looking loaves in ? It looks like it is a clay pot , I really like the appearance ...it adds an extra homebaked appeal.
    kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good. I showed it to my husband and he is going to give it ago next weekend. He has done a naan recipe that has potato in it and it was really nice, I wonder if its the starch?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yum Christine! There is nothing better than a good home baked loaf! Those awful over processed white loaves from the supermarket are also forbidden in this house!!
    I started my very own citrus cleaner! Thanks for sharing and inspiring!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks really stunning and i love the no waste involved..i can feel some boiled potatoes coming on :) jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a few simple ingredients--and such a wonderful end result. Love the coiled look-it's beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Grandma always said her Mother would keep any potato water to be made into bread. If it passes the kid test oflight and fluffy it's got to be a hit :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That bread looks amazing, Thanks for the recipe. I must try is when I get a chance.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great use of something that would otherwise be thrown away! Super idea, Chris, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Potato water hey! Interesting....it's hard to get a light fluffy texture that kids love...can this be used with basic yeast base bread too?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this recipe! I should try this sometime - my husband would love it.

    Blessings,
    This Good Life

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely, 'from a plant'! The afore mentioned potato and rosemary bread was actually a yeasted bread recipe and it is very light and fluffy too.

    Ah, Kim, the loaves are proofed in a cane banneton which provides the appealing shaped ridges. It was a gift from dear Celia at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial. :)

    Fabulous, Lisa - I can imagine how delicious naan breads would be, made with potato water!

    Yay, another citrus cleaner, Sharon! Hop on over to nellymary's with a photo of it and she'll post your pic on her original blog post. It's great stuff, we are onto our third round in the little spray bottle!

    It's very satisfying to use up waste ingredients in the kitchen, Jane :)

    Thanks, Sue - simple ingredients are my favourite kind of recipes. ;)

    Good words there from your great-grandmother, Brydie -very wise. I forgot to mention, that the lunchbox came home empty, this made me nearly fall off the chair!

    Great, Deb, have fun!

    Yes, Celia, you know me, a scrounger at any opportunity..eek!

    You bet, Gooseberry - find your favourite bread recipe and substitute the liquid content for potato water..and happy baking!

    Thanks, TGL. All the best for your trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. dear christine,
    your potato bread remind me on my grandma.this bread taste soooooooooooooooo good.thanks for the recipe.
    have a wonderful time,
    love regina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmmmm, sounds tasty, I'll have to give this a try! It's always so nice to see your sourdough recipes, it means I don't have to convert absolutely every recipe that I come across! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks great, Christine. I'm going to try it with my starter. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very interested to read about the effects of adding potato water to the sourdough loaf...and the resulting kid appeal! I might have to boil up some potatoes just so I can try this. Wonder what I could do with the boiled potato though...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks excellent! Will try it this week - a nice change that the kids will love, I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Regina..grandmothers always seem to know the best way to do things, don't they! Hope your weekend was good!!

    It's great to hear from other sourdough bakers, Melinda. :)

    Rhonda, I didn't know you had a starter on the go! How exciting! There's nothing like homebaked fresh sourdough....mmmm :)

    Eat them, Spice!! Really! lol.

    It is a very soft loaf, Little Home, perfect for kid consumption. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi - Just tried adding a few tablespoons of Mashed spud to my bread and I have to say it is by far the best I have ever made.

    I'm so happy, I was just dancing in the kitchen while munching down a fresh slice :)..... Heaven.

    You have made my day. Thankyou so much :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic, Ian! It really does change the texture of the bread - I'm so pleased to hear you tried it! You'll be saving all sorts of odd cooking liquids now to include in your doughs.. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...