Homemade Sour Cream

Sour Cream. I had  thought about making it from time to time but kept putting it off because it's not something our household goes through a lot of..although lately I've been finding myself buying the little plastic tubs more often than usual. Surely there was a better way?

To make sour cream at home is quite similar to making yoghurt,  the only difference being that cream is used instead of milk. The culture process is the same though, albeit with a 'sour cream' culture in place of a yoghurt one.

Homemade Sour Cream
Take any quantity of pouring cream you have available (near end of use by is good!), and place it in a saucepan. Around 1-1 1/2 cups is good.  Heat over low heat to a gentle simmer, remove from stove and allow to cool to lukewarm.

Add a couple of tablespoons of commercially prepared sour cream and whisk with a fork to combine. Pour the mixture into a clean glass jar, wrap in a kitchen towel and allow to sit somewhere draught free and cosy for 24-48 hours. The culturing process will take longer than your homemade yoghurt.

This is my sour cream after 48 hours in the toasty warm cupboard next to the fire (I wish I could squeeze myself in there!):

Fresh, homemade sour cream after 48 hours incubation
The cream had set into a thick mixture although is not quite the thickness I associate with bought sour cream.

After an overnight stint in the fridge, the sour cream sets beautifully, with a slightly different taste than the shop bought variety. Sooo...THIS is what homemade tastes like!

The same sour cream after setting overnight in the fridge.
Store refrigerated for up to a week. Use a couple of tablespoons from this jar to make the next batch and so on.  Don't you just love re-culturing?!

Use the cream the same way you would the bought kind. Delicious on baked potatoes. A couple of tablespoons added to your scone mixture will also add a surprising lightness.

With a fridge full of sour cream at the moment, I can feel a batch of nachos coming on.... oooh, should I or shouldn't I??




Comments

  1. It looks wonderful. I don't eat much sour cream either but I want to try making some some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if using long life cream (in the little popper packs) woud work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. nachos is one of my favourite foods and I haven't made it in... years? Oh how can that be? Because it's all about the sourcream of course ;-)
    I tried to make this once and never got round to trying again. I think I only left it for 24 hours though, maybe a revist is needed.
    Made butter this morning, oh to have a dairy cow eh...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are just the best. It sounds so easy. I can do this.

    brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Christine...I love reculturing too....and the flavour with sour cream changes soooo many times....With my first batch I tried it every day at the same time and found it improved with age....nachos? you should...go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey that sounds easy! Thanks for sharing, this is definitely something I'll try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christine, you're amazing. Truly. Thanks for figuring this out for us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo thanks for sharing, my family love sour cream on nachos and potatoes, mmmmm yum.

    Will have to try this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. love anything with cultures, yeasts etc so your sour cream is a winner with me..by the way, using your idea i kept some potato water and made bread with it today..i used white organic spelt flour and a bit of wholemeal wheat flour..even though it's full of quite large holes (not sure what that's about) it tastes really good..jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's really straightforward, Joyful.

    I don't see why not, Anon. You might even find that the cream doesn't need pre-heating as the uht packs are already heat treated.

    Butter! This I must see, Brydie...

    You sure can, Brenda - give it a go!

    The flavour is amazingly different, Narelle! I can't believe how it changes and I have to agree with it improving with age..nice'n'tangy ;)

    Fantastic, floweringmama, have fun!

    You're welcome, Celia and Lela. :)

    Wonderful, Jane. That's interesting about your bread, was it a dry yeast or a sourdough starter?

    ReplyDelete
  11. i used the sourdough starter discards and a tiny bit of dry yeast..jane

    ReplyDelete
  12. corn chips are reduced to clear at the local, think its a sign!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent! I've done the butter as well, this is on the list! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like it came out perfect. I always feel such satisfaction making something on my own, that feeling of accomplishment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's really interesting, Jane. I sometimes get large holes in our bread too, I quite like them. Usually more with the sourdough starter and slow rises though..

    A-ha! Thankyou, Kirst ;)

    Butter, butter, this sounds great, David! Must try it..

    It is hugely satisfying, Melinda. I really like the thought of reducing all that plastic packaging, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. dear christine,
    thanks for sharing the recipes. i love sour cream
    with baked potatos.
    have a nice day,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh yummy!!! thanks Christine, I'll add this one the list of things to make.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's really simple to make, Regina and Sue. Hardly any bother at all! Plus it really does taste a whole lot better than the shop bought variety. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds yummy----I LOVE sour cream! I had to Google "pouring cream", though, which I discovered is, in the U.S., basically the same as "light cream" and has approximately 18% milk fat. I already home-culture my own buttermilk, so I'm excited to try sour cream, as well.

    Thank you for sharing your knowledge and wisdom---truly a gift to us, your readers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts