June garden round-up

Do you ever think there is absolutely nothing happening in your vegie patch, only to take a walk outside and find that in amongst the neglect things are still ticking over at their own pace?

Isn't it wonderful?

Plants really are so resiliant (usually!) and many tolerate oodles of neglect, at least in our garden, anyway...

The lemon tree I transplanted from a pot to the ground last year has a grand total of two lemons! Maybe I should've picked them off to let the tree settle in a bit although it looked like it was doing a fine job of this already, throwing out lots of new leafy growth that had been lost over the previous summer..

Lemon - Lisbon
The garlic that went in at my last vegie group day here  has all come up! I confess to tending this neglected patch last week by weeding and mulching. Horse manure is great for the soil but it sure does sprout out a lot of weeds..
Garlic, sprouted from last year's homegrown cloves
The raspberry walk also needed a good dose of TLC. As always with this area, I wish I had stopped and thought to take a 'before' pic as well..
Raspberries - a mixture of thornless and thornies
The rambling growth was pruned to remove dead wood and weak spindly growth. Each 'clump' (which are spaced around 30cm apart) was then tied together, holding half a dozen or so of the strongest new canes. Fingers crossed for a good season!

In the greenhouse I have been very slack at remembering to water, although the plants didn't seem to mind too much. It doesn't get as much sun as I'd like it to at this time of year, but with huge gum trees in the way there's not a lot I can do..
Broccoli, swede, beetroot, snow peas, radish, rocket, lettuce and spring onion
It's lovely to have radishes ready for picking! I have missed these..

After much internet searching I finally found a source to supply me with a madder plant, for which I payed a hefty fee for (plus delivery). Really, really fingers crossed here the little guy makes it!
Hopefully one day it will provide a little root material for some dye 'speriments..

Nothing to do with the garden, but who can resist a fire in this weather?
Mental note: Wet, cold ovens take soooo much longer to heat up than when they are dry and warm..
Perennial leeks. Yep, they have been as generous as always. This little patch held 16 lonely looking leeks a few months ago, now they have overpopulated and desperately need harvesting/thinning.
Perennial leeks - stirfries and soups here we come!
And a while back when I was moving the chook dome onto it's new bed I just had to dig this little lady up and re-plant her. I'm loving this light pink stemmed silverbeet at the moment (isn't it classy?), and I thought the move would cause it to go to seed, to which I would gleefully collect and re-sow for my own culinary pleasure...

Although it doesn't seem to be in any hurry to flower, which is just fine by me at the moment!

What's happening in your patch?

Comments

  1. Wow! That is all so inspiring. Mine is on a much smaller scale but still good fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about neglected gardens. Ours keeps producing something all the year round with minimal input from me. The various citrus trees and the avocado bear lots of fruit regardless. There are usually some cherry tomatoes lurking somewhere, the celery lasted for over a year. I have just planted another lot. Garlic chives, chillies and basil are always available. The cucumbers which got overgrown during the summer re-seeded and I got another crop during autumn. Broccoli, bok choy and lettuce that have been left seem to re-shoot etc and we are still harvesting from all of these.

    I love my neglected garden patch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures! The perennial leek is intriguing!
    Middle of June, things growing like crazy! Tomatoes, chilli's, cucumber, and eggplant all thriving. Radishes about to be re-sown, along with more chard. Now about that bunny damage....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is BEAUTIFUL! So many wonderful things growing there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Garden is looking gorgeous. I love it when you find something when doing a garden clearup that you forgot you planted. ...somehow things manage to grow regardless of my 'help'.
    kim http://thelittleblackcowblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. So lovely! I know exactly what you mean - last night we had dinner of broccoli pasta, from all the self-sown plants in the garden. The perennial leeks are thriving, although ours don't seem to be reproducing at the moment, just sort of stagnant. There's a couple of fat ones ready for eating. All the broadcast seeds in the front bed are coming up, and thanks to 12 months of chook weeding, we don't seem to have too many slugs at the moment, so most of it is surviving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh..i have vegetable garden envy..i went away at the beginning of autumn and while i cleared the summer debris i didnt have time to plant my usual autumn vegetables.. since i returned 2 weeks ago ive been unwell with a tenacious cold so what i had planned still awaits..i will just have to settle for vicarious pleasure next season when you start picking.. :) jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. So wonderful and inspirational! I have been dreaming about a wood fired oven again, after making pita breads and the smoke detectors going off because of the high heat the oven needs to be on!

    Your garden is looking fantastic. I spent yesterday outside doing some gardening... pruning the raspberries a bit, putting some compost into beds to prepare them for Spring, weeding and cajoling, prune the roses right back, and checking to see if anything is actually growing!

    Good luck with the madden plant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely garden happenings Christine, and lots happening too!
    Nothing happening here...although I do have a new rosemary pot from my grandmother as a replacement for the other sorry excuse for one I had. Lets hope I can keep it alive!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Photos always make it appear larger than what it is, Bruisemouse. Fun on any scale!

    It all sounds wonderful, Fairy. I would love to have an avocado tree fruiting here, although I think it may just be a leetle bit on the cold side..

    You know what, Celia, I don't think I've ever had any self-sown broccoli! How exciting this would be. It just goes to show you don't have to be out there slaving every day to produce good home grown food ;)

    Awww, hoping your cold clears up soon, Jane. There is nothing wrong with letting beds lie fallow over winter..I think it does them good every couple of years.

    Ooh, yum, pita breads sound delish, dixie! The woodoven adds a whole other taste dimension to foods..especially bread, so hard to describe. Isn't it great to be outside even though it's cold? We've had some lovely weather lately, nice to get out there and tackle a few jobs.

    Oh, your poor rosemary, Brydie. My fingers and toes are crossed very tightly for your new arrival ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks christine for your reply..i feel better about my garden after your comment about the soil benefitting from being left to lie fallow for a season..i should have a wonderful summer crop! jane

    ReplyDelete
  12. dear christine,
    your juni garden looks wonderful.you have many differents veggies in you garden.i picked all my currants,i have red,white and black currants,
    but the sqash makes problems,the snails like this plants,that makes me crazzy.
    here we have after cold and rainy days grandioses sunny summer weather.i hope you have also nice winter weather.
    greetings,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's seems I shouldn't reply late at night - I missed a few of your comments, apologies!

    David, the perennial leeks are abundantly generous! So very hardy, too. That's a shame about the bunny damage, how frustrating!

    Thanks, Becky!

    Unearthing treasures is great, Kim! I do enjoy finding potatoes that weren't found the first time..and it's always just as we are running out!!

    You're welcome, Jane ;)

    Hello Regina! Currants..how exciting! Our currants are still only very small and have not given us a harvest yet. Snails can be very annoying...have you tried some crushed up egg shells at the base of your squash plants? They don't like to glide over the sharp surfaces...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous. Our garlic is sprouting too... I'm struggling to have faith that anything will REALLY survive and grow though. Wish our radishes were looking healthy. Well, I guess as a first timer I just need to keep observing, trusting and waiting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts