Spicy Green Tomato Pickle

After staring at our green tomatoes for the better part of a week, I finally got cracking with them this weekend and made them into chutney...although I have a complex about the word 'chutney' so have taken to calling it a pickle!

Several of the tomatoes had started to ripen in the basket which had been sitting in our warm kitchen/living area...


The tomatoes were washed and sorted - red/green. Any squishy ones were placed into the chook's bowl.


We ended up having a total of 3kg of green tomatoes. These were sliced thinly along with 780g (5 largish) brown onions and placed into a large bowl and sprinkled with about 3 tbs salt. After mixing the salt through as best I could, the bowl was covered and placed into the fridge overnight. The food processor did a fantastic job of slicing the vegetables, cutting the preparation time down considerably!

Salting the vegetables beforehand draws out excess liquid, which results in a firmer pickle with more crunch.
The next morning, the tomato/onion mixture was rinsed briefly in a colander and squeezed well to remove excess moisture. They were placed into a pot along with:

INGREDIENTS:
2 tbs seedy mustard
2 tbs garam masala
1 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste. Ours had a definite presence of spice but not overpoweringly so... probably too much for fussy young kids though)
2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground tumeric
4 cups vinegar (I used 3 cups apple cider and 1 cup white)

Simmering gently before adding the sugar
This was allowed to simmer for around 15 minutes or so and then 4 cups (raw) sugar was added. The mixture was left to simmer gently for around an hour until cooked down and golden. It was stirred every so often during this time.

At the end of simmering time, I used a small amount (2tbs?) of cornflour to thicken the pickle to my liking. This was mixed with a scoop of the cooking liquid in a separate cup and added back to the pot and stirred well.

Nearing the end of cooking time... nice and thick
The hot chutney was ladled into clean and sterilized jars and sealed. Yield was ten assorted kitchen jars.

Spicy Green Tomato Pickle
I do have to add that previously I had reservations about making a green tomato chutney as we are not a big chutney eating household...ALTHOUGH! I can see us consuming this pickle easily...I was getting into the scrapings of the pot after the jars had been filled and it is really good! Sweet, tangy, relishy and pickley all rolled into one...sublime on roast meat sandwiches, as hubby will attest!

Roast beef, cheese and green tomato pickle on Turkish bread
I also have to thank Jen who provided  a couple of recipes for me to peruse, one which got me on my way with salting the vegetables, which I have no doubt I would've forgotten to do otherwise!

Comments

  1. Looks good, the word chutney always got changed to 'chuckney' in our house growing up, so yes, pickle will do nicely for describing this for me too. We had ours with home made meat loaf, and cheese and lettuce last week, and as I am not a huge 'chuckney' eater either, I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was...
    I was just pleased I didnt have to throw the green tomatoes out....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the word chutney! Say it with a little Indian accent next time :-)
    Looks good though. I'd be slapping that mama on to everything. Chutney, cheese and bread? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds quite interesting. I myself am hoping to have enough green tomatoes at the end of the Season to make Chow Chow; which is good on cooked dried beans, hot-dogs and probably other ways we have yet to explore. It contains bell peppers and tastes so good. If I have enough tomatoes I may try your recipe as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My pathetic little tomato plants are about three inches tall at the moment. First time I have sown any seed for ages as we have had really bad blight the last few years. I love the look and sound of your pickle! Such a shame we can't sample each others preserves x Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Alaska it's hard to get tomatoes to ripen, so we needed something to do with green tomatoes. We make a green tomato relish that is similar to this, that was my husband's grandmother's recipe. It is really wonderful. I really didn't think I would like it, but I really do. Thanks so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi christine,
    those chutney looks very good.thanks for the recipe.
    have a nice week,
    love regina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at all your tomatoes! Most of ours wilted away, except for a few hardy self-sown ones that seem to have survived. I think there's maybe only a dozen toms left - not enough for your delicious looking pickle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great, I love a good relish/ pickle/ chutney, or even savoury jam!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha, that's funny, Suz. It was surprising how tasty it was! And yes, SO satisfying not having them all go to waste :) (says she who just finished scoffing a roll for lunch with some spread in amongst roast beef and melted cheese....mmmm!).

    Oooh, yes, you are right, Brydie - it sounds SO much better with a beautiful, polite Indian accent. Thankyou for healing my complex!!

    Hmmm, I haven't tried chow-chow, Becky, although I think I remember seeing it in one of my preserving books. Would be fun to give it a go.

    Bah! Blight -what a nasty guy. Fingers crossed for your little plants, Jo. Our season just didn't happen at all - tropical weather and late 'ripeners'. Better luck next summer...

    Isn't it great when you find out that you really like something you thought you didn't, Homemade Alaska? I commend you for being able to grow tomatoes at all up there! :)

    And a lovely week to you too, Regina!

    It's been a really strange tomato growing season, hasn't it Celia! We've been bringing ours inside to ripen but more often than not they start to rot which is just devastating to watch :(

    Ha, you'll take them all eh, dixie? Good girl ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even though they were caged two of our tomato plants blew over during a terrific storm a few days ago. We set them back in the ground but the plants are slowly dying now. They are full of green tomatoes so I think I'll go ahead and strip them off and make chutney. Thanks for the recipe! Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, how frustrating, Patti! The chutney is a good way to use them up and very tasty, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been staring at green tomatoes too...your post has inspired me to do something about it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic, Amanda - it's really nice to be able to put them to some use! Hope you enjoy yours :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts