Thursday, May 12, 2011

In the garden..May 2011

Wow, the weather has really gotten cold this past week! Yesterday the weather reporter even thought it might snow in our area..although it didn't, at least not this far down the mountain.

A few pics of what's been happening in the garden lately...

The 11yo cut out and sewed the bunting flags together from vintage sheets and then got busy with the fabric paint to 'advertise' her goods
The 11 year old's plant stall is still going.  We got down to business and injected some homomade love into it over the holidays. It was very embarrassing as a friend dropped by and insisted on taking a look, with the bulk of offerings wilting and drying out. Of course, being such a good friend, she was adament that she was buying something..eek! The daughter has made a few sales since the love injection, with a few being from naughtly ladies from my Friday veggie group.  (Naughty, Naughty!!) The reappearance of some regular rain is helping with the watering of the plants out there.

I'm loving the colours on our Japanese Maple this year. It was a cutting given to me by a dear friend and has settled into it's permanent spot. Just beautiful!  Thanks, Em.

Japanese Maple.
Last week it was my turn to have our weekly veggie group  here. Lucky the garden had been neglected and there was lots for them to do (but hopefully not too much!). The team of 9 pulled up our finished zucchinis and planted garlic, removed the bean trellis and planted brassicas along with sowing a bed of carrots and weeding AND mulching the berries. Such a relief not to have to tackle all of this on my own! Thankyou, ladies. Of course we still managed to find time for the important things like eating, coffee and talking.

The berry area, happy with some new mulch and a newly planted garlic bed
Brassicas - broccoli and cabbages
Over the weekend I pulled up the remaining pumpkins. Another one had split and so had to be used straight away. I roasted the peeled pumpkin pieces and these were turned into a big pot of pumpkin soup yesterday.

Pumpkins: Queensland Blues, Butternuts and Buttercups.
Now to hunt for containers to pack the soup into the freezer with! I wonder what causes pumpkins to split? Too much rainfall near harvesting, perhaps?

Earth Star Puff Ball  fungi, found on my garden wanderings
This year I am trying a different potato chitting method. I have just been placing any potatoes that are too small to cook with outside, under the verandah in an old tray. The light seems to stop the shoots from getting too long and while the skins do turn green, this is ok as we don't eat these potatoes - they are just used for seed, to grow more plants.

So far, so good.

Lastly, I have to share this gorgeous mobile that a dear, faraway friend sent to me a while back. I have hung it up outside our kitchen area and can admire it while sitting at the table.



So sweet!

13 comments:

  1. Love the bunting, it always looks like there is a party going on! I vaguely remember you mentioning your gardening group... now we have a permaculture group happening here, maybe something we could look into... if I search here on your blog will I find some inspiration?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sonya - that's great! I think I linked to the group in the post (after the Japanes Maple pic), otherwise try the sidebar labels, under: "Friday Veggie Group". Thanks, and well done on the group! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I just love the banner! It is soooo cute.

    And the idea of the veggie group is great! I can't imagine someone helping me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how wonderful your daughter has her own business!! Love the bunting. Could she save seed from your garden, and sell packets of hand labelled seeds too?

    I am so jealous of your Weekly Vegie Group *sigh*

    Those mushrooms are just plain weird!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah you know I'm envious of your gardening group...actually and your garden. Funny, as when I finally do get a garden, I'm sure I won't know the first thing to do with it. Mr Chocolate and I always joke, that we will just dig holes. Not sure what do? Let's dig a hole...
    With that garden, surely you mustn't have to buy too many extra vegetables?
    Love the puff ball fun guys too.. (oh I had too :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's looking great. I should form a veggie group. It is so much better doing things with others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too love your weekly veggie group idea. You know I might just start one too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've been having fun in your garden! How nice that you have a group to garden with! Our neighbour gave us the tiniest butternut pumpkins - literally the size of my fist - and we roasted them up. They were amazingly good!

    All power to the young one's plant stall - I reckon I'd have to buy something too.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mine disappeared too - was commenting on the lovely bunting flags...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, no! You are right, Brydie, Blogger DID eat your comment and everyone elses..how annoying!!

    They were still lurking in my email, so here they are again..

    floweringmama: Oh I just love the banner! It is soooo cute.

    And the idea of the veggie group is great! I can't imagine someone helping me.

    dixiebelle: Oh, how wonderful your daughter has her own business!! Love the bunting. Could she save seed from your garden, and sell packets of hand labelled seeds too?

    I am so jealous of your Weekly Vegie Group *sigh*

    Those mushrooms are just plain weird!

    cityhippyfarmgirl: Ah you know I'm envious of your gardening group...actually and your garden. Funny, as when I finally do get a garden, I'm sure I won't know the first thing to do with it. Mr Chocolate and I always joke, that we will just dig holes. Not sure what do? Let's dig a hole...
    With that garden, surely you mustn't have to buy too many extra vegetables?
    Love the puff ball fun guys too.. (oh I had too :-)
    xx

    HAZEL: It's looking great. I should form a veggie group. It is so much better doing things with others.

    veggiegobbler: I too love your weekly veggie group idea. You know I might just start one too.

    Sonya - can't find your comment, but the gardening group info is linked to in the post and also in the sidebar under "Friday Veggie Group".

    ReplyDelete
  11. geez will you stop making me so droolingly jealous of your garden girl parties?!?!?! wow, what a fantasy.
    okay, okay, keep making me jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know, I know, so very sorry, CJ.

    ...nah! Not really! They're a great end to the week. When you're back in your icy cold homeland you could start up your own team of food growing women...you'd be a natural. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...