Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Indulging passions....

Do you do this? When something is just eating away at you and your sleep is suffering because you are becoming consumed by it? I rarely do, but when I do..it's always a goody. I rationalise my indulgences by saying that they will be of use to the family, as was the case with the greenhouse two years ago. It grows food for us! Our woodfired oven cooks food to warm our bellies and draws people in to share in it's warmth.

My latest passion is one that embraces all things yarny. While my drop spindle was really quite nifty, it just didn't reach the speeds I was hoping to achieve. Plus using my arms as a bobbin winder was a little more challenging than I first anticipated. The solution? A wheel. That spins! Quite fast (for me), actually! Not a lot of housework or blog browsing is happening (so sorry if I haven't stopped by in a while). I am finding my new arrival slightly addictive. It can be moved around at the drop of a hat and even went on a small excursion with me yesterday to the local spinning group where my eyes bulged in fascination at the selection of wheels there, all spinning silently and hypnotically.


My new (old actually) tool of pleasure is a Sheridan MacArthur, which I found on an online classified site (not ebay!). I travelled 1 hours drive to collect my new love...


...brought her home and started spinning! So much fun to see the fleece turning from 'fluff' to 'thread'.

Treadling is smooth, silent and yes, even relaxing!

One of the things I like most about my new wheel, is it was made in Melbourne!

This is my second bobbin... they are taking me aaages to fill but hopefully soon I will be able to ply them together to create my first skein!

12 comments:

  1. Awesome! It really is addictive, isn't it? I love it too. That's beautiful spinning right there. Nice looking fleece too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wonderful, wonderful, so happy for you!

    Unfortunately, the things eating away at me, causing me poor sleep, is having too many things on the go at the moment!! Perhaps I have been indulging myself too much, thinking I could handle all of my passions. I need to indulge myself in some balance...

    Will be looking forward to seeing more photos and tales!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful! I would imagine it would be all consuming. I have thought about getting one for a while but already have too much to do. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is a wonderful addiction. Hope you have a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm! I can get my hands on one of those. You are making me want to start spinning! Beets television any day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see your first finished garment using your own spun wool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I would love to learn this craft!! How pleasurable for you!! I also will be looking forward to your first finished garment!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely wood! It's always more of a pleasure working with tools that are functional AND beautiful, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm boggled at how this is developing... looks like great fun, I too can't wait to see what happens next :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you! So glad you finally got your hands on one, I wasn't sure how long the drop spindle was going to keep you going..hahaha

    What I want to know is this - where would the needle have been that Sleeping Beauty pricked her finger on and fell asleep for a hundred years? I'm not sure why you'd have a needle on a spinning wheel?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thankyou all for the kind words and encouragement! The wheel is certainly a talking point in our lounge room and I have to show it to everyone who visits.

    Celia, I have been wondering the exact same thing! I really have NO idea - I would love it if someone could shed some light on this matter! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...