Roasted Tomato Passata & Tomato Jam

Earlier this week I processed those ripe, fresh tomatoes that had come our way. I decided that a roasted tomato passata and some tomato jam would be the best way to use them up. Just a small quantitiy of each, but enough to keep me satisfied until the next appearance of tomatoes makes it's way here...


Roasted Tomato Passata

To start off with, my tomatoes (2kg) were placed on a lined baking tray, along with a few cloves of garlic and then drizzled with olive oil, sea salt and pepper. They were roasted on 180c for around 50 minutes, until the skins were shrivelled and they were starting to blacken.


I turned the oven off and opened the door to allow them to cool a little while I got breakfasts ready and dropped kids off at school....

Back home again, the tomatoes were loaded up in small batches into the food mill and sieved using a medium disc. I think next time I'll use the finer disc as quite a few seeds got through and I couldn't be bothered changing discs! The garlic was also squeezed out of the skins and added in with the tomatoes.

Remember to scrape off the tomatoey goodness from underneath the food mill and don't forget to feed the skins and seeds to the chooks or add to the compost.

After pureeing:

The passata was then placed into jars and processed in the Fowlers Vacola, with half a tablespoon of lemon juice added to each jar to raise the acidity (for storage safety). The taste of the roasting really comes out in the passata and I'm  looking forward to using it as a ready made sauce on homemade pizzas!

Tomato Jam

I had a 'thing' in my head that I wanted to make some Tomato Jam..the kind of delicious condiment to go along side scrambled eggs on toast, savoury fritters, barbequed meat and so forth. I'm not sure what makes a jam different to a chutney..if someone can tell me I would be most appreciative! Is it the addition of sultanas that make a chutney a chutney? I'm confused! Anyhow, I'm calling this one a jam because that's where I'm at with it...

Ingredients
(this is what I had on hand and what my tastes prescribed, you are welcome to adapt the recipe to suit your own tastes)
1.7kg fresh, ripe tomatoes, *skinned seeded and chopped
1 tsp turmeric
1 1/2 - 2 tsp ground cumin
1/2-1 tsp ground chilli, or fresh if available, to taste
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbs finely grated ginger
200ml malt vinegar
200g brown sugar


*Skinned and seeded tomatoes - remove cores and score skin. Blanch briefly in simmering water and refresh in cold water. Slip the skins off with a paring knife, cut tomato in half and squeeze out seeds. Feed the seeds and skins to the chooks or add to the compost.
In a pot place the tomatoes, garlic, ginger and a pinch of salt. Simmer for around 30 minutes until the tomatoes have cooked down a little.

Add the vinegar, brown sugar, spices (which could be dry fried first if you are organised, unlike me), and simmer for another 40-60 minutes until mixture is thick and rounds up on a spoon. Place into sterilized jars and process. Again I used the Fowlers unit although a 15 minute water bath for both the passata and jam would also be fine.

Tomato Jam - or is it a chutney?

Can be enjoyed straight away, although flavour will improve if left in a dark cupboard for a couple of weeks for flavours to mellow and mingle together. Store in the fridge once opened.

Yield: Passata 3 x 425ml jars, Jam 3 x small pesto jars

Comments

  1. How lovely to see what you did with all those gorgeous tomatoes! Your tomato jam looks delicious! We freeze all our passata, which works quite well..until we run out of room! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks yummy!! As a child, my grandparents would often have Tomato Preserves on the table. This was not made at home and i thought it was delicious! It was not spicey but somewhat sweet like a jam but not overly so. It also did not have orange or lemon rinds in it as most of the recipes i have seen have. It was so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chutney...Jam...Jam...Chutney...either way Christine I think that would taste tip top on some fresh bread, and a chunk of cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chutney because of the vinegar - well in the UK I suspect but maybe different elsewhere. Having said that I made some pear and apple chutney that I ended up eating on toast for breakfast because it was so jammy. Whatever the name it's sweet and luscious and colourful and full of good energy and I love all posts about tomatoes, so keep them coming :) Going to rush downstairs and see if we have any passata left...it goes fast in this house...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm waiting for all my tomatoes to turn red and then it'll be full steams ahead in making your tomato jam/chutney. Yum yum yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The jam was fun to make, Celia. Good idea about freezing the passata..although I'm never organised enough to pull it out in time to defrost..jars are much more my thing :)

    Hi Jackie, your Tomato Preserves sounds very interesting! It's hard to beat a good food memory.

    So long as the bread was one from your kitchen, Brydie! ;)

    Too fast, Jo. I'm still confused because most of the 'jam' recipes I came across had some portion of vinegar in them..maybe not as much as chutney though..meh, who knows!! I just like to eat it! :)

    It's so much fun playing with homegrown produce, isnt' it Renee. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suspect the jam/chutney/preserve/preserves/conserve/ thing is another example of linguistic shift and regional usage of names to mean slightly different things.

    I had a quick peek at Wiki just now. What's in a name anyway - as long as you say what's in it then we'll have a rough idea what it tastes like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_preserves

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made this and it’s quite good. Thanks so much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts