Potato Gnocchi

After returning home from a camping trip and being confronted with a pantry full of homegrown(!) potatoes,  I thought it might be a good idea to finally make some gnocchi again...especially considering the weather wasn't too hot...

Homegrown potatoes harvested a week or so ago, unknown variety although I'm thinking Spunta...?
(The small long waxy ones are kipflers)
Turning to my beloved Cooks Companion,  I followed Stephanie's quantities to make gnocchi, although I chose to double the suggested quantities to freeze some for another day. Having everything ready before hand seems to be the key to good gnocchi (and an 11yo on hand to help doesn't hurt either!)...have the water at a simmer, the sauce on the back of the stove bubbling away and a buttered dish on standby to place into a warm oven as the gnocchi comes out of the pot. "Phew! You mean to say I have to actually think ahead??"  Yup! Don't worry, it will be worth it!

The quantities I used were:

2kg potatoes (floury, not waxy)
650g plain flour
generous sprinkling of salt

The peeled potatoes were gently boiled in salted water for around 20 minutes until tender and then drained and passed through a food mill on a small-medium setting. If this is anything like a potato ricer, now I know where they got their name from...my girls really did think it was rice underneath!!

The 'rice' in the bowl
Working quickly, the hot pureed potatoes were placed on the bench and sprinkled generously with salt (don't be shy, I think I slightly under-sprinkled in the name of healthy eating and the gnocchi was slightly on the bland side..). The flour was then sprinkled on in small batches and incorporated into the mashed potatoes with my dough scraper by 'cutting' it into the mixture. A light knead with the heal of my hand in between scrapings also helped introduce the flour into the potatoes.

The dough was then divided into balls and rolled out into long logs, about 1" in diameter.


These were then cut into 2cm pieces


The gnocchi was then cooked in small batches in gently simmering, salted water for a couple of minutes until they rose and floated to the surface. Using a slotted spoon they were scooped out and placed into the buttered dish and into the warm oven while the remainder were being cooked.

We enjoyed ours with a simple napoli sauce made with homegrown garlic and oregano. What a shame we are still waiting on our tomatoes as these would've been lovely to include as well!


Nothing beats homemade.

 Bon appétit!

Comments

  1. Your gnocchi looks fantastic! I love it and have not made it in years. Your tomatoes sound like mine...not ripening. Which reminds me, I will go check up on the ripening status AGAIN, just in case there has been some red activity happening in the last 3 hours.

    Thank you for sharing photos of your delish gnocchi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making my own pasta and gnocchi is on my list of 'to do' things for this year. Thanks for the recipe...I think I will begin right here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gnocchi...never had it but I'd definitely try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, nothing beats home made! Especially gnocchi, mamma mia it's delicious.
    ...one day when I'm a real cook, I'll get a mouli.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made your gnocchi recipe tonight. I didn't have a mouli so I just mashed the potatoes well. I added chopped chives and a little parsley. Even with your advice, I could have added a little more salt. But in all it was a great first effort. Thank you so much for giving me the idea and for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious, and a perfect thing to do with your potatoes! Our tomatoes are finished now, hopefully yours will fruit for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't gnocchi yum! I've only just got the hang of it - I learnt not to do too much mixing of the dough. Before my gnocchi were little rock balls but now they're delish and one of my kids' favorite meals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are welcome, Daffodil! Good to hear the tomatoes seem to be on strike everywhere..come ON already! :)

    Tender dumplings of homegrown potato..a true comfort food, floweringmama :)

    Ahh, the mouli. Such a great cupboard addition, Bryds. I bought it originally to keep the skins out of tomato sauce (passata), but find it also gets pulled out of it's hiding space for a load of other jobs too. A great purchase and not that expensive either :)

    Hazel, I'm SO HaPpY you tried the gnocchi! I can see it's going to be a tricky task figuring out just how much salt to use, but what fun trying in the process. Thanks for letting me know you made it! :)

    Fingers crossed, Celia! The first ones are ripening now... red figs and tigerellas, yummy!

    You are quite right, veggiegobbler, best not to overmix. It's surprising how well the flour gets itself into those hot potatoes with minimal kneading. Your small ones are very lucky to be growing up on such dinner table offerings :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love potato gnocchi but haven't made it for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks wonderful, I have never had good experience with Gnocchi (not mine) I have always wanted to try but have been to scared, this looks simple... and the sauce very tasty, maybe I will take the tata plunge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts