Monday, January 17, 2011

Round-a-bout Cherry Plum Jam & Lemonade Scones

A funny thing happened the other day. I was itching to go and do some foraging with my young ones but the weather hadn't been favourable and was looking like more rain was scheduled to come (380ml over 4 days, for the record!). I wasn't after anything in particular, just happy to see what would come our way. Resigned to the fact that no foraging was going to take place due to the weather, it was with great surprise that I spotted the huge cherry plum tree on our roundabout dangling with offerings of plump, juicy fruit.

Our 'roundabout' Cherry Plum Tree
A forage at home! What could be better under the circumstances? I quickly retrieved the ladder and with the help of the  7 year old, started filling a bowl. Yes, a very small bowl as I suspect the birds had already found our bounty. The fruit was small..3-5cm in diameter with gorgeous red flesh and a slightly tart taste. A fruit ideal for jam making, I thought....


Using equal quantities of sugar and fruit, and no added pectin (I suspected there would be ample in the skins of the fruit..which turned out to be so), the fruit was turned into a handsome pot of jam.



Just the thing to dollop onto some warm scones fresh out of the oven!

Cherry Plum Jam
500g stoned cherry plums, washed, and chopped
500g sugar

Gently heat the plums over a low heat until soft and mushy (in a pot large enough to allow the mixture to double in size as it boils). Add the sugar and continue to heat on low, stirring with a wooden spoon every now and then until sugar is completely dissolved. Increase the heat to bring the mixture to a rapid boil and allow to boil until setting point is reached (I do the dollop on a cold saucer test and then place on a breezy windowsill for 20 seconds..if the dollop crinkles when a finger is run through it, the jam is ready). Ladel the jam into a warm, clean jar if consuming straight away, or a sterlized, warm jar if storing for any length of time (hard to do!).

Lemonade Scones
3 cups self-raising flour
1 cup cream (US readers - heavy whipping cream - 35% fat)
1 cup lemonade (US readers - Sprite or 7-Up)

Preheat oven to hot 200-210c. Line a baking tray with baking parchment paper or a baking sheet. Place the flour into a large bowl and add the cream. Mix with a flat bladed knife and then add the lemonade, trying not to over mix. Sometimes I add a little more lemonade just to make sure the mix all comes together. Tip out onto a floured bench and pat gently into shape (DON'T knead!). Cut into rounds with a scone cutter and place onto trays, allowing room for spreading. Bake in preheated oven until well risen and golden brown on top. Serve warm with your favourite jam and whipped cream. Accompany with a steaming hot cup of tea and 15 minutes alone to read the paper...bliss!

8 comments:

  1. Sigh..if we had a cherry tree, Small Man would be in seventh heaven, Chris! Lovely looking jam, and isn't that lemonade scone recipe such a winner? Can I just offer this for US readers - lemonade here = Sprite or 7-Up, cream = heavy whipping cream (35% fat). Can't tell you how much confusion it's caused my friend overseas in the past.. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Celia - have ammended post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got to love fruit from your own tree. Also got to love scones! I've finally worked out the little buggers. CWA here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love scones and jam and even better with your own fruit used to make the jam :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum, they look divine! ALL of the plums I can get my hands on go into plum sauce (Paddy's absolute favourite) but that jam looks fantastic too! I will have to try this famous lemonade scone recipe I keep hearing about. Anything made with cream MUST be amazing... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What sweet little plums! Foraging is a good few months away over here. I'm mostly foraging amongst the jars in the garage at the moment, though I think there are still some frozen blackberries from last year in the freezer. The ways of wild fruit are very mysterious, last year we had a cold winter and a late spring and I've never seem so much wild fruit around... I wonder what we'll get this year. I've never made those scones but they do sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to hear your've worked them out, Bryide. You'll be a natural CWA-ite! ;)

    Absolutely, Debbie, homegrown fruit tastes so much better.

    Plum sauce goes down well here too, Amy. The lemonade scones are ridiculously easy to make..enjoy :)

    They were very cute plums, Jo..very small. De-stoning them was a little tedious though.. I think we still have some frozen blackberries too! What to do with them, what to do... You really must make some scones..just to say that you HAVE made them!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Waw!! Your lemonade scones look so luscious!! I have never heard from adding sprite or so to a scone dough!! Looks fabulous!! Your cherry plum jam looks so tasty too!

    MMMMMMMM,....

    I just moved my blog to wordpress.com/ Come over @ my blog & check it out! You must update your RSS too!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...