A-line skirts and a little babushka dress......

Remember those pre-loved sewing patterns  I picked up from the tip a little while ago? I have actually been a little busy using the skirt pattern which has turned out to be just my size! I have a  bit of a 'thing' for a-line skirts and enjoyed making them up - they are so quick and simple!

This one is made from a remnant of khaki drill. The pockets were made because I was in a funny mood and felt like using up some oddments of material I had lying around. It is a gardening skirt after all, and one needs a place to store seed packets, don't they!

And this one was made with some discounted fabric I picked up on my travels - I wanted to make sure the size was ok before looking at other fabrics...

...which it was.  Gotta love that :)

I've also been busy making a dress for a special little person. A babushka dress.  I had seen one similar in a craft magazine from the library and thought I'd try my own take on it:


As the magazine had been returned, I came up with my own pattern for the babushka lady and used fusible web and zig-zag stitch to attach the pattern pieces to the dress. Our local primary school had a fete recently where I found the fabric scraps, which I thought would be ideal for this project!

The face is embroidered with two strands of embroidery floss and the cheeks are small circles of felt.


The back of the dress - no zip, nice and simple....




I'm pretty happy with it, and although it could be finished now, I think it's still needing something...Maybe some trim along the bottom edge? Rick-rack? What colour? Or perhaps some pockets? Square or curved? Argh! I've been staring at it too long and am completely confused. That's why I'm throwing it out into the universe in the hope that the answer will come back to me. :)

Have you got any projects on the go at the moment?

Comments

  1. Oh Chris, your little babushka doll is just gorgeous! What a great job you've done with her! Personally, I think the rick rack around the bottom edge would work well, but I'm not convinced about the pockets. If you were going to do pockets, I think they'd have to be in the same curve as the base of the doll..

    Lovely skirts too! Clever you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh lordy! Can I squeeze in to that babushka dress? I love it! Beautiful sewing Christine.
    I love it the way it is, but rick rack could look good too. Pockets maaybe in the same tone as the rest of the dress so you don't take away from your sweet babushka.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the skirts!!!! and the dress is awesome as it is. Maybe a little trim around the bottom but really it's gorgeous just the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya, I go away for a bit and come back to find high fashion hanging from the trees! Those are delightful. The babushka is a real sweetheart and I think she's perfect just the way she is too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the babushka doll dress, what a great idea and your skirts turned out nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, gorgeous dress!! Clever chick you are! Like the skirts too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankyou muchly ladies, I appreciate your input. :) I think I'll ponder over the rick-rack possiblities and see where they take me....

    (You make me laugh, Jo!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these! I dream about sewing my own clothes, but I can't see it happening when my sewing machine is still tucked away under my desk! Plus, it's taken me about 4 months to finish knitting my baby a cardigan... which will fit her for about 5 minutes.

    Maybe I'll just stick to admiring your handiwork!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts