Saturday, October 9, 2010

Showtime!

It was show day in our world today. This year in addition to eyeing off the poultry, farm animals and horses, I was excited to enter some items in the homecrafts pavilion. Several pictures, so I'll let them do the talking....

Vegetables/produce

Eggs, half dozen - Second prize

Eggs - any other colour -Second prize.
Blue eggs from Violet,  our Araucana. Thanks, Violet!

Calendula - Third prize.
Proud as I am over my multicoloured calendulas, I notice the second and first place calendula entries are both a uniform colour......

Yes, that would be the 7y.o's hand sneaking a touch..

Relish, not tomato - 1st prize (Zucchini Relish).  Well done, yellow zucchinis, will be growing you again this year!

Lemon Butter - Third prize. Quite a number of lemon butter entries this year. Still using my favourite recipe.

Pickles, any variety - Third prize (Bread & Butter Cucumbers)
Berry jam, any other variety (not strawberry or raspberry) - Second prize ( (Blackberry Jam)
My daughters also did some baking and did not go away disappointed.....
3 pikelets - First prize to the 8yo. There they are, down on the bottom right. Recipe from Lady Flo Bjelke-Petersen's cookbook 

Decorated cake, 7-10 years. First prize to the 10 yo! I'm very proud and she's super pleased!!

I couldn't resist admiring all of the handiwork on our way out. Some inspiring quilts....

....plus knitting and crochet too!
 Much, much fun.

13 comments:

  1. Oh wow, congratulations on all yours and your daughter's prizes!! I wasn't organized this year to enter anything into our Royal Show as I'd planned, perhaps another year I will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fine eggs! and pickles, and cakes and those pikelets, what a great show your family put on there. Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine thats awesome! As soon as I read the first line I was wondering whether you had 'dressed' your jars. Good to see you didn't disappoint :-)
    I'm so impressed with the 10 year olds cake. Does she like cooking?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I am super impressed and inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine, I'm having my HFW moment with you right now!! I'm sooo excited - congratulations, what a wonderful result! Look how clean and polished your eggs look - they don't all come out of our chickens looking like that..hahaha...

    And FIRST PRIZE for the zucch relish! Well done! The competitors will be spying on your garden next year.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you all did really, really well! Congratulations. Will you be sharing your prize winning recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to you and your children for all those ribbons.
    I love country shows and all the exhibits takes me hours to look around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Christine (and girls)! You must be very proud :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, ladies :)

    Wow, Amanda, the Royal Show? I haven't entered anything in ours yet, maybe one day...

    Thanks, Jo, everyone was very pleased with their results, plus it's a lot of fun! :)

    Oh, the jars, Brydie. They looked much neater before the judges tucked in for their taste tests. I also think they have a spare number of covers (dresses?) on hand to place on nude jars. The 10yo LOVES to be in the kitchen, it's so great she can produce an occassional meal or afternoon tea now! :)

    It's very inspiring seeing what everybody has been busy making, baking and creating, Hazel.

    Ahh, yes, the eggs, Celia. Let me tell you, I saved them up over the course of a week in a special egg carton in the frige labelled "DO NOT EAT - SHOW EGGS"! They certainly don't all look like this, but it's quite satisfying polishing an egg!

    The zuccini relish tastes just like bread and butter cucumbers, but in a shredded/spreadable form...tasty!

    Thanks, Sonya. Some of the recipes are linked to in the post in the green italics :)

    I know what you mean, Debbie. I was longing for more time to thoroughly study all of the exhibits - so hard when the young ones are clambouring to get out on the rides. Soooo many good ideas to be gathered...

    Thanks Kate. Maybe you and yours might like to enter something next year? They get such a buzz out of seeing their work in amongst all the exhibits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clever you! Well done Christine and girls!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on all the prizes!
    Your post brings back memories of our local country show when I was growing up, admiring the produce and handiwork, the preparation of entering things and helping mum prepare too, thank you for reminding me :)
    I must see if there's a local show in this area where I live now - I much prefer the local shows compared to the hustle and bustle of the Royal Melbourne Show!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Wendy and Jen! :)

    Jen, those are wonderful memories to have, lucky you :) I agree with you on the size of the Melbourne Show - too big!! I much prefer a smaller, country show....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I can't believe your Blackberry jam only got second prize! Its was sooo good , I'm no show expert but would have thought it a winner for sure. Congrats on all your lovely success.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...