Saturday, September 25, 2010

'Cheats' Challah Rolls plus Pantry Planting

One of the methods I have read about shaping challah rolls sounded so easy I just had to give it a go. The challah dough, is made as usual and braided according to your preference. The loaf is then simply cut into equal portions to form the rolls, which are then placed on a lined baking tray and covered to rise again before baking. How easy is that?

'Cheats' challah rolls, cut from a four braid loaf prior to baking. Yield 10 rolls.
As the rolls are cut from different sections of the braid, no two rolls are exactly alike. It's a fun way to make them and great if you're pressed for time - no fiddling with individual dough pieces. My braided 4 strand dough was cut in half lengthwise, then had five cuts made crosswise, to form 10 rolls. Lunch and dinner in one baking!

We were also treated to a little sun today so I seized the moment and spent the afternoon outside sprucing up the veggie patch and soaking up some vitamin D. One of the beds had been scalped twice(!) by the swamp hens and I was stumped for ideas of what to grow in it before the chook dome is due back on it soon. Raiding my pantry proved successful, I had to decide what exactly to sow out of a small selection of dried legumes.. should I plant a green manure of barley? Or try my hand at growing lentils? Would they even work? Or maybe cannellini or kidney beans? Hmmm, decisions, decisions....

I ended up reaching for the dried borlotti beans. I've never grown them before so it's all a bit new to me. It's maybe a little early to start them in our area as I think they like it hot, but the bed was vacant anyway and I had nothing to lose. In they went, borlotti beans by the handful....

One step ahead of those crafty swamp hens this time around, the old 'octopus' was retrieved from my junk pile at the back of the yard. Actually, it can't really be an octopus as it only has 6 arms, (legs?), but it still reminds me of one anyway! It is just a simple frame made of three pieces of poly pipe (irrigation hose), joined at the center with heavy string. It supports bird netting to prevent the wildlife from entering my newly sown beds.....


The bottom of the hose is wedged into three offcuts of bamboo staking, which have been pushed into the soil to keep the hose in one place......


A friend from veggie group had shared some of her home grown kipfler potatoes that had begun to sprout, so I had to find a home for these too....



Siamese twins?
In they went into bed 4, along with some mangy old potatoes from the bottom of my pantry......


I do love homegrown potatoes, they taste so creamy and buttery. Nothing like the bought variety....

And remember the repurposed swing frame  that now houses some loganberries? Well, as I was walking past this afternoon, I was delighted to see that our chooks are actually using it as I had intended! How sweet. There is Mr Green sitting full front with his girls keeping him company....

Afternoon siesta for the birds

8 comments:

  1. The chooks look so smug and comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday I made your challah for the first time. I was a bit excited to see how it would turn out. The oven was a tad hot but other than that it worked out well. Do you eat it plain only the day its made and then toast it after that? Or is mine just a little too dry on day 2?
    It'll be interesting to see if the berlotti beans take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made challah too for the first time yesterday! Fabulous idea to cut them into rolls, thanks Chris!

    The octopus is a great idea, I'm going to suggest it to Pete. It's driving me mad that the birds keep feasting on our beds..

    ReplyDelete
  4. They certainly do, F! :)

    Challah goes stale really fast, Brydie. It's ok on the second day warmed back up in the oven, but nothing like the first day. It also seems to brown a lot quicker while cooking too, which is why I reduced the oven temp from my usual 200 to 180c. Easier to control it's bake this way. I also found that the second rise needed to be very generous, so that the egg wash wasn't patchy when the loaf started to spring in the oven.

    We eat the challah warm on the day of baking for lunch with sweet or savoury fillings, we also had them toasted last night for egg & bacon rolls, and I've discovered that day or two old challah makes the most meltingly delicious bread and butter pudding! But yes, to cut a long story short, best eaten the day it's made :)

    The cutting of the rolls is a fab time saver, Celia. And the octopus was born out of necessity, the wildlife is unrelenting here at certain times of the year. It's just a basic design borrowed from a rectanglular bed set-up. Very easy to whip up and effective once in place. Best of luck keeping the birds of your beds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good. Glad it wasn't my baking then. Saw a recipe for sourdough challah this am...hmmm. I forgot to water the yolk down a little like you say, and the oven was a tad hot, and so it did look a little patchy, but will play again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a wonderful time. The garden is going to be GREAT!

    LOVE the little house for the chickens too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I like those rolls Christine! They look a bit like kaiser rolls, very smart with those cut edges. I remember challah always going stale as a kid, I think it got made into croutons or little toasts that got floated on soup...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Karyn. They seem to like the house too! :)

    Thanks, Jo. Yes, that makes perfect sense to use up any leftovers as croutons...would be perfect on top of some French Onion soup with melted cheese..mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...