Crafting, thrift style....

On my opp. shop (thrift shop) travels last week, I couldn't believe my luck when I came across two bundles of stretchy jersey fabric in purple and blue, several meters of each. It has been quite a while since I've sewn any clothes for my girls but I just couldn't walk past this fabric! The purple (fuschia?), made a simple A-line pullover dress with no zips or fasteners (my kind of sewing), for our youngest. She likes to wear summer dresses over her clothes in the middle of winter, so I thought this might be more comfy for her and her layers upon layers of clothes...

Simplicity 7150, from my pattern stash, which was in need of a good dusting off.
The dress has a small crochet four leaf clover on the front. My daughter chose this from our big Reader's Digest book of Needlecraft which I fumbled my way through making. It's no hexagon, I'll say that!

On a separate opp. shop excursion, I came across this beautiful cream yarn that is just so lovely and smooth to work with. It must be wool...with something else? It was crocheted into a beret style hat from this pattern on ravelry.

Bonita Hat
And some time ago, I found a thick, knitted cotton jumper at another opp shop. Eyeing it off for potential repurposing, I brought it home, washed it...


....and once it had dried, started pulling it apart. One sleeve weighed 180g and formed a sizeable ball! Just a small amount of yarn from one sleeve created this hat.....


...crocheted with this pattern. The cotton finishes off a lot stiffer than wool or acrylic and I am pondering over what to use the rest of the jumper for. But NO MORE hats!! Please, if you see me making another hat, shoo me away, I have hexagons to make! And LOTS of them, too!!

Crochet Four Leaf Clover
Ch 5 and join in a ring with sl st.
Rnd 1: 14 dc in ring
Rnd 2: 2dc, 1 leaf [ch4, (yrh twice, insert hook in next st, draw up a loop, yrh, draw through 2 loops, yrh, draw through 2 loops) 3 times in same st, yrh, draw through 4 loops, ch 3], 1dc in each of next 2 sts, 3 more leaves as above, make stem [ch6, work back along these 6 ch with 1dc in each ch (or with 1 sl st in each ch if yarn is thick)], 1 sl st in 1st dc to close, fasten off.

Comments

  1. Christine, what treasures you've uncovered, and how clever of you to find such good reuses for them. That jumper looks like a particularly good find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been busy and I sure love op shop crafting;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recycling and upcycling at its best Christine. You've done well! I really do get a kick out of making something out of something else.
    Do you have many opshops to choose from? Round this area they are thoroughly picked over, and not too many bargains to be had...except for one. Which I get just a little bit excited just knowing I'm going up there and what goodies there might be to find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I confess I have never attempted to madke a garment since the day my sis and I tried to make bikinis and failed miserably. So I am full of admiration for these projects and I love those hats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The jumper was a great find, Celia. It's just deciding where to take it from here.... ;o)

    It's a lot of fun, isn't it, Debbie!

    Brydie, we are really lucky to have a good selection of shops to choose from. In the immediate vicinity, I trawl three regularly. A little further, there is a another hidden treasure, and if I drive for 20 minutes to where I do my major shopping, there are three more good ones to choose from. I don't visit them all the time...tend to rotate a bit, but regular visiting is worthwhile, as you are exposed to their turnover of stock. I feel your frustration though, it must drive you crazy the need to compete with all the other bargain hunters out there....

    Oh, dear, Joanna, a bikini? I would not be game to try my hand at one of those (besides from recoiling at the thought of actually _wearing_ it)...although I did have a good giggle recently over a pattern book with some crocheted bikinis in them!! (wouldn't they sag with the weight of the water?!).

    My excuse for the accumilation of hats is that it is REALLY cold here at the moment and one needs a selection to choose from depending on their mood of the day ;o)

    Thanks, Dixie! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts