Banana Bread - the real deal

Have you ever noticed how banana bread recipes are usually cake-like? I have nothing against this, I'm actually very fond of a good banana 'bread', but it can prove frustrating for those times when I am looking for something a little more on the bread side rather than moist, cake-like crumbs (as good as they may be). Lately, I have been after something with yeast. A bread...WITH banana!

This is why I was delighted last week when my friend Kirsty made a loaf of actual Banana Bread, not the deceptive cakey loaf that is so common, at our Friday morning veggie group.  Deliciousness in a bite. Of course it was toasted, with lashings of butter and cinnamon sugar. Very good chat food. And so easy to pull out when people are over -just slice it up and pop it in the toaster! One could even have a loaf stored away in the freezer for those times when a cuppa and quick snack on the go are calling.....

The following is my twist on Kirsty's recipe:

Hot from the toaster with butter and cinnamon sugar
Real Banana Bread:
1 cup water
1/3 cup milk
2 tbs oil
1 free range egg, lightly beaten
180g very ripe bananas, mashed (3/4cup or 2 medium)
680-700g bread flour (4 1/4 - 4 1/2 cups, approx)
2 tbs soft brown sugar
2 tsp instant yeast
60g (1/2 cup) chopped pecans or walnuts

Dough can be mixed by hand or machine. As it can be quite sticky, I choose to mix in the bread machine.  Bake according to your preferred method, as for bread. Today I let the machine do the baking, as I was in and out of the house a lot (sweet setting on machine). Cool well on a wire rack before slicing. If freezing, slice before storing, not after (have you ever tried to slice frozen bread? Very challenging!).

To serve, toast and top with your favourite spread. Very good with honey, or butter and cinnamon sugar.

Comments

  1. This is something I have been looking for for a long time, as the banana 'bread' recipe I have is more of a cake recipe. Will have to give this a bash! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't have any idea that banana bread could be anything other than the cake type variety! I thought I'd pretty much seen most banana cake recipes but this has got me intrigued! I'm going to give this a try - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks good, I love anything that can be sliced and hauled out of the freezer at any time. I make banana bread rolls that do the same job, easy kid car food!

    I still have Friday morning veggie group envy, the idea is just so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LJ and Sarah, - it's a nice change from the cakey banana breads and is a good recipe to have up your sleeve. :)

    Yup Brydie, home made convenience food from the freezer is the best, isn't it! We are definitely onto something here... :) As for Friday veggie group, it's at my place this week and I'm SO not organised....eek!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love the more banana bread aka breads !! This is the real banana bread!

    The endresult looks magnificent!

    MMMMMMMMMM,...Now, I would like to savour at least 3 slices,..thank you!

    Kisses from Brussels to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, dixiebelle :)

    Lol, Sophie! Three slices coming up :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts