Sunday, July 4, 2010

Market Sunday

Who says you can't have fun outside in winter? The girls and I had a wonderful time at the market today, despite the bitterly cold weather. At least it wasn't windy...I can handle the cold most of the time, but the wind...the awful wind is a whole other story!


As you can see, others are rugged up as well. So many good things to see and buy. Very tempting to go crazy, but I remembered what I was there for...besides having fun of course!


I found what I was looking for; a small selection of fruit trees to be put in the new chicken/fruit tree run. I brought home a cherry (Stella - self fertile), quince (self-fertile), apricot (trevatt, also self-fertile) and a Granny Smith apple..which will act as a pollinator for our other apple varieties. The trees cost $15 each and are all bare rooted, so I have put them into my pile of horse manure to stop the roots from drying out until I get around to planting them.


Another thing I like to buy at the market is honey. I just couldn't go past this creamed one...


Now this is deliciousness on a spoon! I'm not expecting it to last all that long...

The girls also came home with some fun things..a whistle for each of them, one makes a train noise, the other is a traditional up and down type whistle, and the third one needs to be filled with water and makes a sound like a bird singing a warbling song. They also couldn't resist the bubble man. It only took me 10 years, but I finally relented and came home with the bubble wand and 'secret recipe'. They had a ball playing with it all afternoon!





Oh, and so did I. *blush*

This is one week of school holidays down, one more to go. I hope the next week is as enjoyable as the first!

7 comments:

  1. Watch that bubble solution, Christine, it will kill the grass (groan...we found out the hard way!). The trees sound fabulous - not cold enough here for a cherry tree, but oh, how I'd love to have one in our backyard!

    Funny your comment about the wind. I often enjoy windy days, but my husband, who spent a lot of time on his uncles' property as a child, would always say that people from the country really hated the wind...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lovely market day. My girls are not yet old enough to enjoy a market...I look forward to the day. And that honey looks so good - love creamed honey!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my ancestors (Charles Trevatt and his wife Sarah) produced the Trevatt apricot, so I've found out through old notes and scribblings about the family tree - enjoy! They were the first pioneer blockies to arrive at was to become Mildura - Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my kiddo's would love the bubble wand, what beautiful rainbows in the 'secret recipe' Oh your fruit trees sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love market days, and your sounds lovely.
    I'm with you with the creamed honey, indeed delicousness on a spoon. Haven't shared that little secret with the boys- and they are too little to see that high in the pantry... mine, all mine.
    Good luck with the fruit trees

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tip, Celia. Have moved it into the courtyard where they can play with it on the paving! Your hubby is right, I pretty much grew up in exposed country areas and the wind is the bane of my outdoor existance!

    Mmmm, creamed honey is so good, isn't it LJ!

    Wow, that's really interesting, Sonya! Lucky you to have that connection. I will look on my Trevatt a little more fondly now :o)

    The wand was a big hit, Tammy. I confess I am cringing at the amount of liquid detergant that is in the 'secret recipe'...

    Oh, it's so much fun to have 'secrets' at the top of the pantry, city hippy! My only problem is the husband. Now he IS tall enough to find them and find them he does, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tip, Celia. Have moved it into the courtyard where they can play with it on the paving! Your hubby is right, I pretty much grew up in exposed country areas and the wind is the bane of my outdoor existance!

    Mmmm, creamed honey is so good, isn't it LJ!

    Wow, that's really interesting, Sonya! Lucky you to have that connection. I will look on my Trevatt a little more fondly now :o)

    The wand was a big hit, Tammy. I confess I am cringing at the amount of liquid detergant that is in the 'secret recipe'...

    Oh, it's so much fun to have 'secrets' at the top of the pantry, city hippy! My only problem is the husband. Now he IS tall enough to find them and find them he does, lol!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...