Lemon Curd

With such an array of beautiful citrus fruit around at the moment and an excess of eggs (imagine that!), I was suddenly getting cravings (of the non-pregnancy type) for some lemon curd...my favourite winter treat!

I like to use Stephanie Alexander's recipe for curd from The Cook's Companion. It's simple to make and doesn't require the use of a double boiler. Unlike other versions, it uses whole eggs that have been strained instead of only yolks and I think it is this straining stage that ensures a smooth curd...provided it is kept on a low heat of course. Sometimes I add a little more sugar..depending on how sour the lemons are. I also got it in my head today to make some mandarin curd..but lets just say it did not meet my expectations. I think I'll stick to the lemons in future.

I entered a jar of this lemon curd in the local show a couple of years ago, and came away with first place, much to my astonishment! If anyone has participated in local shows, you will know that they can be a tight group of competitors with years of experience under their belts when it comes to entering garden produce and preserves. Although from memory, I added quite a bit more sugar, to avoid a tartness hitting the tongues of the judges! I happen to like a tart curd, but I didn't think they would, for some reason..And well, it paid off!

Lemon Curd

Ingredients:
2 large lemons, zested and juiced
100g unsalted butter
175-200g sugar, depending on how sour your lemons are
3 free-range eggs, lightly whisked and strained.

Place the lemon juice, zest, butter and sugar into a medium saucepan and heat over low heat until the sugar has dissolved, stirring now and then. Remove the pan from the heat and add the eggs, stirring to mix well. Place the pan back over a low heat and stir constantly until mixture thickens, coats the back of a spoon and leaves a line on the spoon when a finger is ran through it. Don't overheat, or the mixture will curdle. Watch for steam starting to rise off the mix.. a sign that the thickening is imminent.

Spoon into warm, sterilized jars and seal. Keeps in the fridge for up to 8 weeks. Makes approx 500ml.

Delicious on fresh bread, toast, pancakes and as a filling for tarts and cakes.

Comments

  1. Lemon curd yummmmm...... I made mandarin curd last year and it was very tasty, sorry yours wasn't a success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving your recipes at the moment. They are really inspiring me to get into the kitchen. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, You bribed the judges with a sugar hit then. Lol. Have a heap of lemons that need to be used up at the moment will have to give your recipe a whirl. Cheers, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is simply delicious Christine! I love stopping by here to see what you are up to, I'll also be sure to come back to your circular needles post if I ever attempt to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMMmmm, lemony goodness. Make it tart, eye squintingly tart! Excess eggs- lucky thing. I do have excess lemons at the moment and was thinking lemon merangue pie.
    I recently started thinking it would be fun to enter foody competitions, I was wondering if the CWA would take a young city hippy?..maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi , cityhippyfarmgirl, the local CWA would welcome you with open arms , go for it , !!!!

      Delete
  6. Hi Christine
    If you check out my blog there is a recipe for lemon curd/butter (on the right under labels, recipes) that is to die for, AND it keeps on the shelf for over 12 months until opened when you will need to refridgerate:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I have never tried lemon curd....it sounds so yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm, I don't know what it was Debbie..they couldn've been too juicy, and the flavour wasn't how I imagined..they were 'empress' mandarins, not a favourite but they looked sturdy enough to grate and juice..

    You are very welcome, Maree Rose :)

    Oh, yes, Deb, lots of sugar, it was the only way! Enjoy your lemon cooking :)

    Tammy, re. the circular needles..if *I* can figure them out, you'll breeze your way through them!

    Aah, Brydie, lemon meringue sounds delicious! You must be a mind reader, because it's a secret goal of mine to be in the CWA, lol! I wonder how 'young' they take 'em? Seriously, start at small shows if you're keen, obtain a program a few weeks before, and get cooking! And don't forget to 'dress' your jar with a pretty piece of fabric in the CWA fashion ;)

    Thanks Molly, will have a look :)

    LJ, it's another name for lemon butter, which is what you might know it as. Very good on hot toast ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lemon curd. What a great idea! I'm currently making my way through the enormous crop of lemons on our tree. I blogged about it here: http://lardertales.wordpress.com/2010/07/13/the-lemon-bounty/

    I think I can feel some lemon curd coming on this weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks lovely, Christine! We make all our lemon curd in the microwave (recipe's in the Jam section on our blog) - dead easy and only takes a few minutes. Wouldn't take first prize at the show though - congratulations!

    And thanks again for the headsup on the perennial leeks - ours have now arrived and they've been planted out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aren't the lemons just gorgeous at the moment, Bee! Lucky you, having a tree!Happy preserving :)

    Wonderful, Celia, I just took a look at your curd, very interesting! And you are most welcome re. the leeks, I hope they grow well for you. (They'll be coming out of your ears before you know it!!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've sent you an email with an apple/lemon curd recipe to have a look at. Wish I had a glut of lemons!

    Congratulations on that result :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. hehe I 'dressed' one of my jars of jam recently to see how it would look- I just could't do it to the rest of the jars though. Problem with living in inner city, my local shows are bloody big with some hard core competition. I need kindergarten level! I have a secret love of visiting CWA shops in country towns- also a wide array of chutneys and jams to run my finger over- 'dressed' and all.
    Not sure if you noticed but Clutterpunk has given you and I a heads up...so kind :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thankyou, Joanna, I've taken a look. :)

    Thanks for letting me know, Brydie! (We'll make a jar 'dresser' out of you, yet ;))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum, When i backpacked through India they would serve curd with muesli and fruit. I loved it and must try the recipe. Love your apple picking photos.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts