Dan Lepard's Semolina BBQ Buns

Earlier this week as I was catching up on some blog reading, I came across the most wonderful looking bread. I first happened to see it over at Joanna's blog, Zeb Bakes and then at Celia's Fig Jam and Lime Cordial. It was a recipe for Dan Lepard's Semolina BBQ Buns.

Having enjoyed a sprinkling of recipes from his book, The Handmade Loaf and liking his style, I was keen to give them a go... plus they just looked sooo good! When barbecuing at home, I have never gone to the trouble of making buns for our burgers. BUT! All this could change now! The bread was very light and fluffy with a hint of sweetness from the honey and I really liked the addition of some homemade yoghurt to the dough . Plus it is a yeasted bread (by that I mean commercial yeast..not a natural leaven/sourdough), which is what I have been finding myself baking lately. If I could make a batch of these buns up for the freezer for a spontaneous bbq night, I will be a happy person indeed.


The recipe is here.

There were also some brief notes on the scoring of the bread and I tried to follow these as best I could. The buns were baked in one big 'slab', and scored with a butter knife, in a 'down and up' motion. I think however, I got slightly carried away with my knife manoeuvres as the bread decided it would like to split along each 'score' as well as each bun division. Oh, well, I'll know not to be quite so heavy handed next time. Oiling the knife between scores also helped, as the dough was quite sticky.


The energetic scoring didn't seem to pose any problems when it came to eating the buns....they all disappeared in lightening speed, enclosing a filling of chicken schnitzel, rocket, mayo and cheese. Although I have to say, I really like the sound of Joanna's chilli and fennel sausages that she enjoyed hers with, and Celia's baked burger to go with her buns looks absolutely drool-worthy.

My girls also had a great time pulling each square apart and figuring out who might be small enough to eat such a tiny, individual loaf! Aaah! There's no changing the ways of children looking for fun when eating food!

Comments

  1. You get the gold star for scoring, Christine! Those look textbook perfect! You've inspired me to make them again this weekend - they're great for an easy Saturday lunch after sport.. :)

    Lots of people baking these too, which is just so much fun - Heidiannie's look fab as well, and C at Cakes, Crumbs and Cooking baked the dough up as a loaf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just going to say, that is superb scoring, Woo hoo! Looks just like the Dan the Man original. I love the idea of looking in the little loaves - dolls house bread style - are you going to post a pic on dan's forum too, I'm sure he'd love to see them! I've got to have another go too. And I'll add some sourdough this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I think I just had a strawberry blonde moment. I thought each square was a bun! Thank goodness I looked at the recipe.

    Hmm they do look good, another one to add to the list.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine excellent scoring! Presentation 10/10 I say. I have seen these on Joanna's, Celia's, Heidiannie's and now yours...oh the pressure, can I take it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. They really look awesome Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can smell the fresh baked bread from here and I bet it tasted so yummy:0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to thank you for quizzing about how to go about the scoring, Celia, otherwise I wouldn't have known what to do! So much fun seeing what others have made...I'm off to check out those links :o)

    Thanks, Joanna, this means a lot to me coming from you, wonderful bread baker :o) I look forward to hearing how they turn out with the addition of sourdough. :o)

    They're quite enjoyable to make, LJ and the scoring makes it fun.

    Lol, Lisa! Easy mistake. I was actually thinking perhaps I should've put something in there to 'scale' the picture..a coin or a piece of fruit... :o)

    Oh, Brydie, do make them!! I imagine not only you, but your boys will LOVE them!!

    Thanks Tammy and Debbie. I can see this recipe becoming a firm favourite ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts