Sunday, June 27, 2010

Warm Heads = Happy Heads (crochet fun)

I've been spending some time lately practicing my crochet skills, or rather lack of. It really does take quite some getting used to, but I think I am at a stage now, where I am finally figuring out my own unique way to hold the yarn to produce an even tension. (To be honest, I would've been happy with any tension!).

Anyhow, I thought I'd share a couple of pics of what I've been up to. I'm really liking hats at the moment..either knitted or crocheted, maybe because they are fairly quick to finish (compared to say, a blanket!), and I am finding it fun working in the round.

This hat was made for my 6 year old, who was absolutely taken with it, mistakes and all!


It must be the colours I think...



She wore it to bed last night and I had to request for it to come off today so that I could take a picture of it. For more details and pattern info, see my Ravelry Link.


I also found some time to practice some more, this time for myself. Yes, another beanie to add to my (rapidly growing) collection. I'm really happy with this one, and once I got the hang of the trebles and skipping business, it was very enjoyable seeing it grow...actually bigger rather than smaller, which was the case last week! Note the wonky flower on the front...am really loving the flowers at the moment too!

Ladies Flower Beanie
Ladies Flower Beanie
I ended up using some leftover yarn from another project (err..hat!). I would suspect that there would be quite a bit left over from a ball of 100g dk/8 ply yarn. The hat was crocheted using a 5.5mm hook and fits my (standard women's size?) head.

Make 3ch, join with sl st to 1st ch to form ring.

Rnd 1: 1 ch, 8dc in ring, sl st to 1st dc (8dc).
Rnd 2: 3 ch, 1tr in same sp as sl st, 2tr in ea dc to end, sl st to 3rd chain of starting ch (16tr)
Rnd 3: 3 ch, 1tr in same sp as sl st, 2tr in each tr to end, sl st to 3rd ch of starting ch (32tr)
Rnd 4: sl st to next st, sl st into sp before next st, 3ch, 1tr in same sp as sl st, *miss 2 tr, 2tr in next sp, rep from * to end, sl st to 3rd ch of starting ch (16 x 3tr)
Rnd 5: sl st to next st, sl st into sp before next st, 3ch, 1tr in same sp as sl st, *miss2 tr, 3 tr in next sp, rep from * to end, sl st to 3rd ch of starting ch (16 x 3tr)
Rnd 6: sl st to next st, sl st into sp before next st, 3 ch, 2 tr in same sp as sl st, *1ch, miss 3tr, 3tr in next sp, rep from * to end, sl st to 3rd ch of starting ch (16 x 3tr).
Rnd 7-15: rep rnd 6
Rnd 16: 1 ch, 1dc in every st and sp to end, sl st to 1st dc.
Rnd 17-20: Rep rnd 16. Fasten off and weave in ends.

Flower
Make 2 ch.
Rnd 1: 6dc in 2nd chain from hook, sl st to 1st dc
Rnd 2: (1dc in next dc, 2 ch) 5 times, 2ch, sl st to 1st dc
Rnd 3: Change to main colour (if using), (1dc, 1htr, 3tr, 1htr, 1dc) in each 2-ch sp, sl st to 1st dc.
Fasten off. Sew in ends.

Source: Spotlight Essentials Pattern Book 2008


It even has holes to let the fresh air in, as my daughter told me!

4 comments:

  1. Great work Christine, they both look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your crocheting is coming along great and both hats are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine, they are brilliant!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks girls, they were both lots of fun to make :o)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...