Friday, June 25, 2010

Pumpkin & Feta Pies

Aah, pumpkin. The fruit (or vegetable as we like to call it) of winter. This was the last of my homegrown buttercup pumpkins, and I couldn't think of a better way to have used it up. It's flavour is very sweet and the flesh is creamy, almost turning to a mash when roasted. I have scooped out some of the seeds which are now drying in the kitchen, to save for next years crop.


Pumpkin & Feta Pies

You will need:
1 small to medium sized buttercup pumpkin (butternut can be substituted), cut into 1-2cm cubes
3-4 small homegrown leeks ...or...1 large leek if store bought, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3-4 spring onions, sliced
a couple of leaves of silverbeet, chopped
a few sprigs of thyme and sage, chopped finely
a handful of fresh, flatleaf parsley, chopped
2 sheets frozen puff pastry
100ml pouring cream
2 eggs
100g greek feta, crumbled
olive oil, salt and pepper



To make the filling:
Preheat the oven to 200c. Place the diced pumpkin onto a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes or so, until tender and crisping on the edges. Remove from oven and allow to cool.


Gently saute the leeks, spring onions, thyme, sage and garlic in a little butter and olive oil until tender but not coloured.. Add the parsley and silverbeet off the heat....


...and mix into the roast pumpkin. Season well with salt and pepper. Mixture can be covered and refrigerated at this point for 1-2 days, or frozen, if need be.


To make the pies, grease two twelve-hole muffin tins and line with squares of puff pastry (each square made nine pies). Fill with the pumpkin mixture. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and cream together and pour small amounts of this into the muffin cases, just to enclose the pumpkin filling. Sprinkle the tops of the pies with the crumbled feta


...and bake for 20-25 minutes on 180c until golden. Cool slightly before removing from pan.



Great to eat on their own or to accompany a selection of appetisors.

7 comments:

  1. omg, this looks amazing. I just discovered pumpkin this year, and am really looking forward to next autumn/winter. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look really tasty Christine. I love a pie, is it in built with being Australian? I also like to put (sneak) leeks into them, Monkey Boy assures me he hates leeks, but loves my chicken and leek pies. *satisfied sneaky smile from me*

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum..yum..yum!!!! These are going onto my MUST try list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, pumpkin is so tasty,and so versatile! Have fun cooking with it. :o)

    A pie. Yes, 'tis a requirement to be an Aussie, I think, cityhippy. I have to say, that is extra sneaky of you! *nods approvingly*

    They are pretty tasty, Julie! And good if the kids don't like pumpkin because that means all the more for us!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Christine,
    I've come over via cittyhippyfarm girl link.

    This recipe really appeals to me. I have bookmarked it, so when the Scottish autumn or winter arrives, I know its one recipe i'll be making for sure. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome, mangocheeks. It's a great one for using up pickings from the garden..which happens to be my favourite way of cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cristine, thankyou for this recipe, I made these yesterday for lunch. They were very tasty and I will be making them again. It's a keeper. Thankyou :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there, how lovely for you to stop by. I hope you enjoy your visit here as much as I have enjoyed writing about it. Apologies in advance if I do not reply, I really appreciate your time and thoughts. x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...