Learning a new skill - Crochet

I've been spending a bit of time this week trying to get my head around the skill (and trust me when I say the word 'skill'), of crochet.

It is something I have always wanted to know how to do and just love the look of. I can remember my nana crocheting granny squares when I was a young girl. My mum is also a keen crocheter, whipping together all sorts of beautiful garments for little girls to wear. Why didn't I ever learn? Good question. I have no idea!

It's been really weird changing from knitting on two needles to using one crochet hook. And finding a way to hold the yarn, the work AND the hook has been a real challenge! (How on earth do crocheters get their tension even?).



I have a few crafting books from my op shop travels and dug these out to see where to start. I know there is so much information online, but I really like using books as a starting point (although nothing beats a late night youtube for when you are really in a pickle!). Most of my books are from the 70's and 80's and although the photography and yarn colours are hideously retro, the instructions are still accurate and are (theoretically, at least!) easily followed.

After discovering that Australian crochet terminology is different to American, I finally got my head around some of the basic stitches: dc, half tr, tr, which would be sc, half dc and dc in US terms (I think!).

Maybe a little too ambitious to start with..a hat that seemed to grow smaller instead of bigger...

My journey then took me to crocheting flowers, which I just find so lovely! I like the look of them on a hat, a girls dress or a bag. If only I could figure out which 'spaces' to put the hook into! (And why I always seem to run out of one space right at the end....).

But at least they are recognisable as a flower, unlike my first few attempts. All the 'learning duds' go to the daughter who manages to get in quickest, they seem to love them as much as I do!

The Learning Duds. Great for young girls to play with.


And so begins my journey into the vast world of crochet. I do hope it's a good one.

Comments

  1. Well done Christine! Funnily enough on Friday we are going to visit a friends mom who is going to teach the girls and me how to crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine, My Nan taught me how to crochet when I was little. And, I am still learning new techniques and have only just taught myself a different way of holding the yarn. You will get there, just keep doing what you are and it will all start to flow for you, just like the knitting does.

    My Gramps taught me to knit. Nan could knit, but, I think they decided they would teach me one handicraft each. And, as Gramps couldn't crochet she taught me to knit.

    I still do both, not professional or anything, so, not sure I can give you any advice. I will however give you loads of encouragement. Keep reading and work out what is most comfortable for you, as far as the holding of the yarn, work and hook goes.

    And, have fun! Hope the rest of your week is great.

    Cheers,Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. you will get the hang of it pretty quickly. The American patterns can be a pain when you are so used to Australian terms. I have been crocheting since I was about 5 and those patterns really throw me :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely and well done! I like the flowers.

    I have the same problem with the spaces...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to know how to crochet, its something both grannies certainly know how to do as does my mum, but I never got round to learning. Maybe I should go find an opshop book too.
    Your new skills are looking good though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for crochet - I'm just learning too and started with flowers. I had my sister in law get me started, but I also turn to You Tube and I've ordered a couple of books too. Why didn't we learn these skills? It's such a shame, they should be second nature. Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic, Wendy! I am off to read all about it ;o)

    Thanks Deb, you are really lucky to have learnt both skills when you were younger.

    Debbie, I just don't understand why it can't all be the same!

    Karyn, we can be "Lost in Space" together, lol!

    Op shop books are great CHFG. Just try not to get one thats tooo musty smelling!

    Sonya, you're fortunate to have had someone to show you. It's crazy that it's taken us so long to learn, such a waste of all that time and learning opportunities..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Christine,
    Good luck! I have only just started myself and getting the hang of it is quite frustrating at times, I feel as though I have ten thumbs! It took me some time to work out a comfortable way of holding the yarn to get my tension consistent, I found YouTube vids terrific as everyone seems to hold it slightly differently so I saw a number of ways to try it - I am such a visual learner! Love your little Bumble Bee hat, too cute :-)

    Cheers,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julie, it's so good to hear there's hope for us 10 thumbed crafters! Frustration = More Determination, lol!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts