Thursday, May 27, 2010

Thou shall not whey'ste liquid goodness

One of the main reasons why I was so keen to make my own cream cheese, was the thought of all the whey that could be collected from the curds. Hearing different people comment on how great whey is to use in baking and how healthy it is for us, I was eager to try it for myself...especially in bread, which I am finally pleased to say that I have gotten into some sort of rhythm of baking, not having to resort to shop bought loaves for some time, now!

The 2 litres of full cream milk that was used in yesterday's cream cheese produced just under 1400mls of pale straw coloured whey. The question wasn't: what was I going to do with it?...but how many baked goods could I use it in? I was excited by the possiblities. It was time, the kitchen was calling me.

Fresh whey from two litres of whole milk (around 1400mls)

So to answer the question, today the oven had a small workout which produced:


One large baking tray of foccacia style pizza..for the daughters' Friday lunchboxes.

A batch of (fairtrade) chocolate-chip muffins

Two epis - don't you just love that name!


And a sandwich style loaf for lunches and toast.

The sharp/acidic taste of the whey wasn't noticable in either the muffins or the bread, although the bread was just the slightest bit tangy (which was nice). I'm really pleased the whey is in there, boosting our health with it's goodness and not meeting a wasteful fate by being poured down the sink.

There is about a cup of whey left, and I think I might just toss it into the soup pot for tonight's dinner!


Chocolate Chip Muffins Makes 15
2 1/2 cups SR flour
1/2 cup cocoa
3/4 cup sugar

3/4 cup whey
1/2 cup milk
2 large (homegrown freerange, you betcha!) eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 cup fairtrade milk chocolate, chopped

Sift the flour and cocoa together. Stir in sugar. In a seperate bowl lightly whisk eggs, whey, milk and oil until combined. Add to flour mixture and stir gently. Add chocolate chips and stir gently until just combined. Spoon into muffin trays and bake at 180c for 25 minutes. Muffins freeze well.


Today's bread:
900g white flour
450g wholemeal flour
150g rye flour
6 tsp yeast
3 tsp salt
3 tsp bread improver (ascorbic acid). I'm still deciding whether this is needed or not - it's great for a fluffy, kid-friendly sandwich loaf. Today this quantity was too much...maybe I'll halve it next time. Just take a look at my...err, rather plump epis!

1 tbs honey
800mls whey
250mls water (approx)

Mix dry ingredients together in large bowl. Add liquid and honey and mix until dough forms. Knead well for 10-15 minutes and set aside to rise until doubled in size (about 1 1/2 hours). Shape and rise again (40 minutes). Bake in a 210c oven until golden and hollow sounding.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, Christine - you have been busy! That's fantastic! But where's the cheesecake made from the fresh cream cheese? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol Kate, the cheese is dissapearing fast with my daughters around! I also had other plans for the cheese..the cake would all end up on my hips anyway so it's taking a back seat at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what i really like about baking bread with whey is that, i feel like it makes a whole wheat loaf much more chewy, instead of the crumbly way that wheat can tend toward.
    in iceland they drank fermented whey. i did taste it, but i didn't have the balls at the time to give it a fair chance. i only tasted it so i could say how disgusting it was. but, really it might be great...? maybe really good in hot weather.
    it was so common there, you could buy it at the grocery store, in a carton just like milk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christine, You certainly whipped up a storm with your whey. I used mine in scones, and found that they came out very nice indeed. With the added bonus that they seemed to keep better. Usually with scones here, they start to go mouldly by the end of the second day. I think to could be because we have a fairly high humidity. This did not happen when I used the whey so, an added bonus.

    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Cheers, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG Christine, I've just read your post on the Friday lunch boycott - I am so with you on that! I remember being completely shocked and disgusted when Nicky brought the lunch order list home for the first time. At first I banned Friday luches altogether, but then a bit of guilt set in and I allowed her to order something whenever she received an achievement award earlier in the week. I love your idea of giving them something homemade to choose instead...I'm going to try that next time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. CJ, fermented whey? (And Iceland? Wow!). Ach! I admit, I did go in for a taste, but my sip was ...uh, shall we say 'girly'. I couldn't imagine drinking a glass of this stuff - no matter how good it is for our health or how hot the climate! Much better to sneak it in unsuspectingly imho...

    Deb, that is really interesting about the scones...I didn't know it would make things last longer!

    Kate, that is exactly what gets me so frustrated - why should we feel guilty about saying NO to this list!! It's crazy! I'm so over it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious things are coming out of your kitchen that is for sure! That cream cheese looked great and if you have the added advantage of getting all those other great things out of the whey- its all good.
    ..and epis is a good name :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...